Veterans day and my 7 year old son. Thanks for your Service!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veterans day and my 7 year old son. Thanks for your Service!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Veterans day and my 7 year old son. Thanks for your Service!

Thursday (of course everyone one here i am sure knows) was veterans day, and my sons elementary school gave the kids an opportunity to honor veterans. My son asked his Great Grandfather (that has been under our care for the last 15 years) to come and eat lunch with him there.

I was a real joy to see that at such a young age, he has such admiration already for what that means. He served in the Korean war and was MIA for 6 months and hardly ever says a word about any of it. He is to a stage that he doesn't do much but go from the bed to the couch to the bathroom, and back to bed. But he got up and dressed in his Korean war vet hat that my son had bought with his own money and hobbled his way to the school, barely making it down to the lunch room, to have lunch with my son.

The two of them sat there together while my son pelted him with questions like "Did you have green beans in the army?" I was very proud of how he honored his great grandfather, and he planned out every bit of it himself.

I just wanted to take a second myself to say thank you to all those that have served, and take a moment to remember my late Grandfather (WWII) who was the closest thing to a dad that i had growing up.

I myself was not in the military, so i am indebted that much more to you and your actions. I was reminded that i did not say thank you, and was planning on putting up this little story, but did not know where to post it. So i figure this was as good an area as any!

Thanks to all for your service, sacrifice, and dedication! Hope you had a good veterans day.

granddadvetsday2010.jpg  

Last edited by theferg2000; 11-14-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added pic

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default your son sir

has class

Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Outstanding!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brought a tear to my eye, I wish I had my Grandfather and Father to talk with me and my son. But, they're both gone now.

Cherrish the time you have with him, it sounds like your son has formed a special bond with his Great Grandfather. A wonderful thing it is, too!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

He's a good son and he sounds wise beyond his years.

Please thank your Great Grandfather for his service for me.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8554 Times on 5105 Posts
Likes Given: 11189

What a great story. There are many benefits to several generations living together and helping each other out. Congratulations on such a wonderful son and for caring for your Grandfather. Thank him for his service.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleytxrialover View Post
has class
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Outstanding!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Brought a tear to my eye, I wish I had my Grandfather and Father to talk with me and my son. But, they're both gone now.
Cherrish the time you have with him, it sounds like your son has formed a special bond with his Great Grandfather. A wonderful thing it is, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
He's a good son and he sounds wise beyond his years. Please thank your Great Grandfather for his service for me.

Well thank you for your kind words. I am just a TAD BIT biased about my boy... but he is every bit of what you say and more. THE BIGGEST heart you'll ever see in a kid. We literally did not have to even bring it up once. They announced it at his school, he came home told us, and waited for the day like we were going to Disney world. His Great Grandfather (he is my wife's grandfather) has been with us since long before my son or daughter was born, so they have gotten a unique relationship out of it (my wife's grandmother is also alive and with us) She held her husband's hand the whole trip down to the cafeteria and back to the car again.

Our younger friends think we are crazy for moving them in with us, and we took them on at a VERY young age. But they were always there for my wife, when her parents were not, and times like Thursday make it worth it. Family is a blessing, you dont know it unless you dont have much of one of your own growing up.

Anyway i could go on and on bragging about my boy, but this one was for all the veterans, so the REAL THANKS goes out to all of them that get to read this, and each one of you for what you have sacrificed for me, my wife, my son, and my daughter. We are indebted to you, and DO appreciate it.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What a great story. There are many benefits to several generations living together and helping each other out. Congratulations on such a wonderful son and for caring for your Grandfather. Thank him for his service.

AH you get it!!! Financially they have been a big responsibility (they went bankrupt sometime ago, and he had a heart attack and has never been the same since), and you lose alot of privacy, and while i am the head man of the house hold, and my wife it the head woman of the house... you can not ever make them feel like that, i would never disrespect them and take away their dignity by saying or even acting that way around them, so not many people "get" what the benefit is (but for me, they took care of my wife when both parents at one time or another abandoned her and her brother, plus 6 months MIA Veteran - dont dont need any benefit - they have already befitted me more than i could ever repay). But it is such a neat thing to see them playing together, getting to see them on Christmas morning, when otherwise, they would just be two old lonely people in a nursing home somewhere. I know he would have been dead by now, but he says once a week, my kids are what keeps him alive. It is true. It is like they have a second set of parents (except that we dont get any extra time off while the other parents are watching them it - lol).

Old 11-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #9

just laid my granny to rest 94yrs she help build the mustang she installed mg
on the war birds so i knew her all my life keep him close and enjoy

Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
AH you get it!!! Financially they have been a big responsibility (they went bankrupt sometime ago, and he had a heart attack and has never been the same since), and you lose alot of privacy, and while i am the head man of the house hold, and my wife it the head woman of the house... you can not ever make them feel like that, i would never disrespect them and take away their dignity by saying or even acting that way around them, so not many people "get" what the benefit is (but for me, they took care of my wife when both parents at one time or another abandoned her and her brother, plus 6 months MIA Veteran - dont dont need any benefit - they have already befitted me more than i could ever repay). But it is such a neat thing to see them playing together, getting to see them on Christmas morning, when otherwise, they would just be two old lonely people in a nursing home somewhere. I know he would have been dead by now, but he says once a week, my kids are what keeps him alive. It is true. It is like they have a second set of parents (except that we dont get any extra time off while the other parents are watching them it - lol).
see class again