Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Veteran says restaurant refused to serve him with his service animal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/veteran-says-restaurant-refused-serve-him-his-service-animal-42267/)

Bigcountry02 05-09-2011 12:40 AM

Veteran says restaurant refused to serve him with his service animal

Local Hooters told him to leave with his service dog. If this is Hooters nation wide policy that only blind dogs and not service animals of veterans or others with disabilities, than it is time to say no more business. I for one will take my business somewhere else.

Veteran says restaurant refused to serve him with his service animal | KOB.com

Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)

AWIC Newsletter: Federal Policies on Access for Service Animals

ADA Business Brief: Service Animals

gregs887 05-09-2011 04:25 PM

Did the dog have one of those ponchos identifying it as a service animal? The article only states that he brought copies of laws, not certification for the dog. I'm not agreeing with the managers actions but this seems like one of those situations where there is three sides to the story, what the vet said, what the manager said, and what really happened.

my 2 cents....

canebrake 05-09-2011 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea, it's a Hooters policy.

They don't allow any competition with their wait staff.

Yunus 05-09-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

"He told me that it was their policy not to allow anyone but blind dogs and it was apparent that I wasn't blind so I needed to either go on the porch or leave," said Jordan.
Do blind dogs have service humans to help them get around?

cpttango30 05-09-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 501371)
Do blind dogs have service humans to help them get around?

Damn you yunus You stole that right from my brain.....

It sounds like if someone says its a service dog that makes it a service dog as long as you have a disability.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Maverick 05-09-2011 06:34 PM

Maybe he could have gotten creative.

willshoum 05-09-2011 06:45 PM

Hooters............

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 501358)
Yea, it's a Hooters policy.

They don't allow any competition with their wait staff.

Why are men and women bringing home DOGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS from overseeeees.:eek::)

danf_fl 05-10-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshoum (Post 501411)
Why are men and women bringing home DOGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS from overseeeees.:eek::)

Careful, my spouse is a resident alien from Germany.

Car54 05-10-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregs887 (Post 501354)
Did the dog have one of those ponchos identifying it as a service animal? The article only states that he brought copies of laws, not certification for the dog. I'm not agreeing with the managers actions but this seems like one of those situations where there is three sides to the story, what the vet said, what the manager said, and what really happened.

my 2 cents....

I used to run into this when I worked at an airport. Many people brought their dogs into the terminal saying they are a "service" dog but in reality it was more of a companion dog. Some would even produce a letter from their doctor stating the presence of the dog calmed the owner, or it was necessary for the owner to have the animal nearby, but nothing indicated that it was for a service. That's not a trained function according to the ADA law, that's a companion animal, totally different.

As the ADA law states, the dog must be trained to do a function for the owner, companionship is not a trained function. In the case of the Hooters incident all the article says is the dog was specially trained, even when the Paws and Stripes rep shows up nothing was indicated that it was trained as a service animal.

All anyone can do is guess on this one because first, we weren't there, and second, we all know the media doesn't print the truth all the time, and those who want their plight brought into the limelight will also fudge things for the good of their story.