Veteran advice - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

Yes I saw that!! Working with Bulldog rescue groups, we seem to hear about these things....Does he live at the Commandant's residence??
Yeah, they live at 8th and I in DC.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #62
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Yeah, they live at 8th and I in DC.
Sidebar: last year after I got to AZ(and MO Passed on) when i first had GATOR,..there was an incident in an apt. upstairs from me(girl was getting beat by her BF) when the cops came i was Outside with Gator(this is about a yr ago because I only have him 13 months..and becauseI had Witnessed the incident, I gave a statement) and One of the(local) cops said to me "if you were in the Army why do you have a Bulldog, they're the Marines mascot?" "because I was in the Flying Fighting Bulldogs of the 229th Combat Av. Batt., and please keep you hands away from your duty belt in front of him, or he might think your are attacking me!"

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #63

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Update: went into the army office a week and a half ago and got started on enlisting. Went back today with all of my medical records and got my packet started. They're sending my records to MEPS to be reviewed. After I get cleared they'll send me to MEPS and soon after I'll be signed up and waiting to ship.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #64

Liked 1203 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Update: went into the army office a week and a half ago and got started on enlisting. Went back today with all of my medical records and got my packet started. They're sending my records to MEPS to be reviewed. After I get cleared they'll send me to MEPS and soon after I'll be signed up and waiting to ship.
The day you sign and wait to ship, you have entered DEP (Delayed Enlistment Program) and that day is your TAFMS (Total Active Federal Military Service) date. Remember this day for the future and keep your contract in a safe place. Should you choose to leave active duty and go guard or reserves in the future your TAFMS date will be very important.

I will actually be able to retire at 19.5 years of service due to my TAFMS date, I basically got a free "good year" out of the deal. I know right now your thinking who cares about 6 months... trust me it will become more important.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

bluez Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #65

Alright I'll have to remember that. Thanks. are you already close to 19.5 years?

Old 07-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #66

Quote:
Alright I'll have to remember that. Thanks. are you already close to 19.5 years?
Just hit14. Less than 6 and I'm out. My enlistment ends 1 month prior to my retirement date, they wouldn't let me enlist 6 years and 1 month. Seems stupid but rules are rules. That's another great piece of advice for someone joining up, sometimes you just need to accept that rules are rules even if they make no sense.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #67

And you've enjoyed it obviously since you've stayed?

I'm expecting there to be a lot of things I have to do just because I have to. I'm fine with that. If I really don't like it I don't have to stay forever. But that's a ways down the road.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #68

Quote:
And you've enjoyed it obviously since you've stayed?

I'm expecting there to be a lot of things I have to do just because I have to. I'm fine with that. If I really don't like it I don't have to stay forever. But that's a ways down the road.
I enjoyed it, then I didn't, now I do again.

Your last assignment is always your best assignment. Things will change better and worse. Just be reasonable about your expectations and keep a positive attitude even when your resources are reduced and your mission expanded. Do this and you will have a good time. If you try to fight the system from inside the system, you will have a different experience. Be honest to yourself, military service can be a great honor or a miserable experience, it's up to you to determine what you make of it.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #69
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7778 Times on 4669 Posts
Likes Given: 9751

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
Top seven Benefits of the Army over the USMC...

1. In case of a firefight, the Army gets to duck & dive for cover...Marines are expected to soak up the bullets like sponges.

2. Army rarely has anything to do with ships...

3. Better benefits.

4. Faster rank.

5. Better pay.

6. USMC = Unconstitutional Slavery Made Constitutional, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, U Signed the MF'ing Contract, etc...
MARINE = Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Expected, My A$$ Rides In Navy Equipment, etc...

7. I couldn't join the Marines, my Mother knew who my Father was.

All that being said, there are two major benefits the Marines have over the Army...

1. easier access to female Marines

2. better dress uniform, Army needs to return to pre-1900's dress uni's.

And the Marines have the MF'r of all MF'rs...slot available re-enlistment...
which means, say your job is MP...and there are no MP slots, but they need cooks...
guess what...you either re-up as a cook, or you don't re-enlist. That sux.
Also has led a lotta jarheads into the Army & Navy...OFW

What the heck is it with the Anti-tattoo thing the USMC has going on these days??
Granted there's potential exposure to disease, infection, etc...but Dadgum, Jarheads are supposed to have some tatts!!
That's like seeinga Navy guy with no ink...freekin wierd!!

And Army guys can still catch Female Marines...I oughta know, I married a redheaded Gunny...
evidently I'm a glutton for punishment...LOL
Man, that was harsh. See my avatar?

And the obvious disrespect for women here is disgusting.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #70

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

1. I have plenty of friends that will argue the bullet soaking comment.

2. Really? There are plenty of boats in the Army. How do you think bridges across rivers and lakes get built? Not by the squids.

3. Military benifits are all the same.

4. Correct in the last few years they have been handing out E-5 and E-6 rank like it was candy.

5. Again all military pay is the same.

6. What can you said the Army has one too....

7. OK.....

1. You can keep them. All the ones I met were either swinging for the other team or so ugly they should be swinging for the other team. Not doubting there are some good looking Female devil dogs.

2. What can any one say USMC Blurs are very nice. I hated looking like a damn pickle when I was in. I would do anything not to wear that uniform.