Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Go see ALL the recruiters and see which one gives you best deal. This includes the Coast Guard. I went Army for the Warrant Officer Flight Training program, my brother went Navy for the the electronics training they offered. Don't be afraid to 'shop around'!!!
Thanks for considering the armed services, it is a GREAT place to start!
And how do you like the Warrant Officer Flight Training program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Plus our Blues have been dropping panties since 1775.
Hahaha well reason enough right there.

Alright now another question. If I wanted to do the Marine Corps, would I be better off just starting with them? Or would they want to work with me more on a tattoo waiver if they saw my ASVAB score? Cause the first time I took the ASVAB I got a 95 which meant I could do any job the Corps had to offer. Now my ASVAB is expired and I have to take it again. So what would be the best course of action there? I don't want to waste the army's time by taking the asvab through them just to take my scores to the Corps, but I also would rather be in the Marine Corps, so I'd be willing to do it. If that makes sense...

Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy

Alright now another question. If I wanted to do the Marine Corps, would I be better off just starting with them? Or would they want to work with me more on a tattoo waiver if they saw my ASVAB score? Cause the first time I took the ASVAB I got a 95 which meant I could do any job the Corps had to offer. Now my ASVAB is expired and I have to take it again. So what would be the best course of action there? I don't want to waste the army's time by taking the asvab through them just to take my scores to the Corps, but I also would rather be in the Marine Corps, so I'd be willing to do it. If that makes sense...
Go see a Marine recruiter and ask about your tattoos. You can prolly get a waiver, depending on what you've got and where. And size. They'll probably be willing to work wit you regardless. If you can, take the ASVAB with them if you'd rather do it through them.

One thing about the Corps, though. We rarely offer guaranteed MOS' in contracts. It's almost always the field (Intelligence, Linguistics, etc). Also, your orders will say Arabic Linguist (if you go linguist route of course), but your actual language will be determined when you get to DLI.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Go see a Marine recruiter and ask about your tattoos. You can prolly get a waiver, depending on what you've got and where. And size. They'll probably be willing to work wit you regardless. If you can, take the ASVAB with them if you'd rather do it through them.

One thing about the Corps, though. We rarely offer guaranteed MOS' in contracts. It's almost always the field (Intelligence, Linguistics, etc). Also, your orders will say Arabic Linguist (if you go linguist route of course), but your actual language will be determined when you get to DLI.
I think I'll talk to both the army and Marine Corps tomorrow. Starting with the Marine Corps so I can see if they'd be willing to work with me. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #34

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:

I think I'll talk to both the army and Marine Corps tomorrow. Starting with the Marine Corps so I can see if they'd be willing to work with me. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Best of luck tomorrow bro. I highly recommend the military to any young person , with the training and skills they will teach its top notch.
24 yrs ago I had no desire to go to college and chose the Navy. It's been one of the best decisions of my life. I'm earning a living today because of that training.
Best of Luck as you start this journey Beezy

Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

I think that's a good decision. Best of luck to you. If the Marines seem disinclined to work with you, mention that you scored a 95 on your ASVAB last time around. They will prolly perk up.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

I think that's a good decision. Best of luck to you. If the Marines seem disinclined to work with you, mention that you scored a 95 on your ASVAB last time around. They will prolly perk up.
My thoughts exactly. Thanks. I'll update on what I find out tomorrow.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #37

Well I called the marines to set up an appointment and see if I could come in and ended up just talking on the phone. Basically they told me I was a knucklehead for getting a tattoo and that I lacked internal discipline. But I'm going to go in tomorrow to meet them in person anyway and swing over to the army if I have to. overall that's pretty much what I expected.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
And how do you like the Warrant Officer Flight Training program?

Hahaha well reason enough right there.

I never got to complete it!! This was the single greatest disappointment in my life! The Surgeon General said I had to much astigmatism in my right eye even though the flight Surgeon passed me as a borderline case so I did not get to complete flight school!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

I never got to complete it!! This was the single greatest disappointment in my life! The Surgeon General said I had to much astigmatism in my right eye even though the flight Surgeon passed me as a borderline case so I did not get to complete flight school!
That's crappy. I'm far too blind to even attempt that but I have always thought about the idea. Sorry to hear about that though. What did you end up doing instead?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Well I called the marines to set up an appointment and see if I could come in and ended up just talking on the phone. Basically they told me I was a knucklehead for getting a tattoo and that I lacked internal discipline. But I'm going to go in tomorrow to meet them in person anyway and swing over to the army if I have to. overall that's pretty much what I expected.
Don't let them turn you away so easy. Don't forget about your ace up the sleeve: your ASVAB score. Best of luck to ya.

Always have clean socks.