Veteran advice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7809 Times on 4687 Posts
Likes Given: 9822

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Thanks for replying guys. I originally wanted to do the marine corps. I was ready to sign and everything when I was 18 but after I got all my medical records (I'd had meningitis and as a result of all the pain mess developed gall stones an had my gall bladder removed) I got disqualified for 6 months. Then got lazy and got out of shape and got tattoos. That was about 3 years ago. Now I can't get in the corps cause of my tattoos. So I'm going for the army now. I was planning on intelligence but until you mentioned medical I hadn't even considered it. I'm gonna read up on that.
You can't enlist in the Marines if you have tattoos?
dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #22

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been out a long time, but back then, there was a caveat on all "guaranteed MOS's." In small print were the six magic words. "At the needs of the service." Meaning? Easy, if for any reason the Army figures you're a better fit doing something other than your choice, that's where you'll wind up. Example. You'll take a series of tests when you first go in. If you don't score high enough to qualify for your chosen field, you're out of luck. A kid in my company at basic training signed up for 4 years, MOS artillery. His math scores weren't high enough for arty, he wound up 11 Bravo, light weapons infantry. When he called his recruiter, he was told to refer back to the six magic words, CLICK! Might be different these days, but I doubt it.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #23

Liked 404 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

if I was going to do it all over again I would either go Combat Engineers, where you get all the macho stuff of the Infantry plus useful explosives skills OR linguist, where you get no macho stuff but the Army will teach you a foreign language to absolute perfection.
You will speak it whit native level fluency.

That is a skill that will stay with you your entire life
and in the end you will still get to work in Intel.
You gotta pass some learning tests though...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 06-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Is there any downside to waiting to go the officer route until after I've been in a while in order to see if I wanna stay for the long haul?
yes there is a downside.

While being an Officer has some great rewards and you can influence things ot a greater degree it also means you miss out on a lot of the fun things the young soldiers get to do.

While being an officer is considred professionally higher,.... but being an enlisted man especially in a classic army unit like Armor, Artillery or infantry or combat engineers, means you get to do a lot of cool hands on-stuff and get paid for it to boot.

I speak from experience I have been both an Officer and an enlisted man.

I may make twice what the Buck Sergeants do but when I sit at my computer crafting next years training plan at HQ and I see them coming in from a grueling field event all exhausted and dirty but proud I sometimes gotta ask myself, who has the more rewarding career?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Last edited by bluez; 06-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

We have developed pretty stringent tattoo policies in recent years, in efforts to appear more professional to civilians. For example, no full sleeves. I'm not sure about half and quarter sleeves, but I believe they aren't allowed if visible. Yu can only have so many visible in PT clothes and you have to be able to cover each one up with your hand. No obscenities, things like that. None allowed on certain parts of the body such as neck, wrists/hands, head, etc. If you were already in the Corps when the policies came out, you got grandfathered. But coming in nowadays with tats is difficult and every tat has to be documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez
OR linguist, where you get no macho stuff but the Army will teach you a foreign language to absolute perfection.
You will speak it whit native level fluency.

That is a skill that will stay with you your entire life
and in the end you will still get to work in Intel.
You gotta pass some learning tests though...
Slight correction: NEAR native fluency. Very close to it. A lot of it is determined by how hard you work and what language you get.

The test is called the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB) and is very difficult. It basically utilizes a made-up language and in its own way figures out your propensity to learn a foreign a language.

OP, if you have any specific questions about the linguist field, aside from training, please PM me rather than post it here. Thank you.

Always have clean socks.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #26

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Yeah anything showing in pt gear and bigger than your hand and you're disqualified unless you get a waiver.

As far as learning a language, that's a plus for intel. If I score high enough on the DLAB they'll send me to school for than too.

I see your point about becoming an officer too soon. I do want to enjoy myself and experience the fun side of the military. Making more money is good and all, but I would hate to miss out on the whole experience.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
We have developed pretty stringent tattoo policies in recent years, in efforts to appear more professional to civilians. For example, no full sleeves. I'm not sure about half and quarter sleeves, but I believe they aren't allowed if visible. Yu can only have so many visible in PT clothes and you have to be able to cover each one up with your hand. No obscenities, things like that. None allowed on certain parts of the body such as neck, wrists/hands, head, etc. If you were already in the Corps when the policies came out, you got grandfathered. But coming in nowadays with tats is difficult and every tat has to be documented.

Slight correction: NEAR native fluency. Very close to it. A lot of it is determined by how hard you work and what language you get.

The test is called the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB) and is very difficult. It basically utilizes a made-up language and in its own way figures out your propensity to learn a foreign a language.

OP, if you have any specific questions about the linguist field, aside from training, please PM me rather than post it here. Thank you.
You are right it does depend on the language..but I was very impressed with the couple of German linguists who I've met where i had difficulty in even detecting an american accent.... and this is with me being a native speaker.

I am sure with other languages like mandarin arabic etc it is different, but I did not want to needlessly complicate a post that was lenghty to being with.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

Go see ALL the recruiters and see which one gives you best deal. This includes the Coast Guard. I went Army for the Warrant Officer Flight Training program, my brother went Navy for the the electronics training they offered. Don't be afraid to 'shop around'!!!
Thanks for considering the armed services, it is a GREAT place to start!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez

You are right it does depend on the language..but I was very impressed with the couple of German linguists who I've met where i had difficulty in even detecting an american accent.... and this is with me being a native speaker.

I am sure with other languages like mandarin arabic etc it is different, but I did not want to needlessly complicate a post that was lenghty to being with.
Understood, and you're absolutely right. Graduates of DLI, especially the intermediate and advanced courses, have spectacular language skills. The teachers tend to teach the vernacular accent, which means you could be dropped into Berlin (I guess Berlin the common accent?) and most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference, especially if you came out of the advanced course.

Always have clean socks.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're right about the tattoo thing. Bear in mind getting a waiver is about the easiest thing to do, depending on what your tattoo(s) is/are. I wouldn't discount the Marine Corps. They can offer less tangible benefits, such as bonuses, but, as you used to want to be a Marine, I have a feeling you will feel more accomplished, and get more intangibles out of it.

Nothing against the Army, but there's a reason the Marine Corps is still around. Consider this: we're the only service that is unnecessary. The Army can do anything we can do (not as well as us though). We use the Navy's ships. We have an air wing, which is good considering our main mission isn't about the air, but it is inferior to the Air Force. Therefore we're unnecessary. But we're still around. Why? Because the country WANTS a Marine Corps. We have endured, despite attempts from previous presidents to disband the Corps, which speaks to our resolve and ability.

Plus our Blues have been dropping panties since 1775.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This