Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

+1 for Navy. Hospital Corpsman is an excellent field to go into and you have options for further training (C School) . Highly marketable & preferred in civilian job market

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #12

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would not, based on my past experience, volunteer for airborne or Ranger training on enlistment no matter what the recruiter says or claims it will do for your career. I did and on completion was assigned to an airborne unit without first attending the school I selected on enlistment but was allowed to attend the following fiscal year.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #13

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have my associates degree. I've considered the officer route but I honestly don't know if I'd be ready for that. I'm 21 and I guess I don't trust myself to be in charge of other people at this point. As far as the navy, it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I'm from a navy town and have family in the navy. Maybe some of the goobers I've seen roll through town have put me off. The number one tip I've heard from both you guys and other people has been to read, read, and read my contract.

Has anyone here gotten screwed on their contracts or lied to? If so what are some tricks to watch out for?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #14

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

If you can get a bachelors first, you would still be better off in the long run. If you consider the career route and go to retirement, the retirement pay is much better.

Don't worry about leading right away. The military branches have a way if bringing junior officers up with good mentor ship from senior enlisted and senior officers to help bring you up to speed if you are willing to listen and learn.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #15

Is there any downside to waiting to go the officer route until after I've been in a while in order to see if I wanna stay for the long haul?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy
Is there any downside to waiting to go the officer route until after I've been in a while in order to see if I wanna stay for the long haul?
I personally think the officers who are enlisted first make better officers. There are exceptions of course, but generally speaking Mustangs are the best officers. You will have more respect amongst your troops, too.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #17

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
The downside is that there can be obstacles to completing your degree. Duties, not enough seniority or qualifications to be allowed school time or tuition assistance. So it could take a lot longer.

My intention when I joined the Navy was to do one six year enlistment and get out and finish the two years left on my bachelors degree. Twelve years later I got a bachelors degree. But I was too old for a commission with that particular degree. Been in 19 years now. Getting ready to try and complete a masters before I retire.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2845 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 16967

Wow , a real hero with a great mind set..! I wish you the best of luck..! Seems like whatever you choose , you will succeed..! Whatever , when ever , you come back whole..! You've got the advice and all I can add is keep your head down..!

We need good people state side to my friend so you come back(WHOLE , MIND , BODY) , WHOLE..!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

The downside is that there can be obstacles to completing your degree. Duties, not enough seniority or qualifications to be allowed school time or tuition assistance. So it could take a lot longer.

My intention when I joined the Navy was to do one six year enlistment and get out and finish the two years left on my bachelors degree. Twelve years later I got a bachelors degree. But I was too old for a commission with that particular degree. Been in 19 years now. Getting ready to try and complete a masters before I retire.
That's definitely something to think about. Thanks for talkin to me and sharing your experience.

And I'll try my best Dango. Haha. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Yes it might take longer to finish your degree once you're in, but you can usually do a large portion of it at no cost to you, especially since they brought back tuition assistance. You can't beat leaving the military with X number of years work experience, all sorts of certs and a clearance, a bachelors degree, and with close to $0 in student loan debt.

On a side night, since you already have your AA degree, if you join the Navy you could come in with a little bit more rank.

Always have clean socks.

dango Likes This