Veteran advice - Page 17
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I agree that I'm just being basically trained, I just thought I'd have a harder time I guess. Haha. I know it does get physically harder after basic training, but I think basic should be harder. Even still there are several people I know will be getting sent home or recycled in my platoon because they can't pass their pt test. I already passed the final pt test standards on my diagnostic test. 229/300. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm shooting for 270 by graduation.

As far as leave, it feels weird to take it before I graduate. But the alternative was to stay back, get put in a different unit for two weeks and get taken on field trips like high school or something. Plus if I didn't, I would be able to see my family for 8 months. And I'll admit, I actually miss them.

Don't get me started on discipline and delinquents. There are some real winners, especially in my platoon. It makes you wonder why they joined. I wasn't prepared for that, or at least not on the level I've witnessed. But there's not really anything you can do except stay away and not let them bring you down.

Funny story, our former platoon guide made a list of the worst people in our platoon. The most disrespectful ones who blatantly ignored directions and talked in formation constantly. He gave the list to our senior drill sergeant thinking they'd get in trouble or counseled, but he instead made them all squad leaders, guidon, assistant platoon guide, and the worst one got platoon guide. That sucked. We all suffered, until she got fired this morning for standing by and watching as the rest of the platoon got corrective training.

I guess that's life. Lol.
Wait. Am I missing something? They're letting males and females train together now, or are you female and I completely freaking missed something?
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #162

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Wait. Am I missing something? They're letting males and females train together now, or are you female and I completely freaking missed something?
They let females train with males. They're with us all day except when we go to our bays. I'm not a female. Lol.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #163
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

I actually like the Sr Drills promoting the Slugs to SL's and such. Often, something like that would either make them sh!t or get off the pot and quickly. Sad the whole platoon will pay temporarily for that but in the long run you probably will be better off! Your ex- PL should be whacked for handing in the list of slugs, thats nutz, wtf, If im your PSG, she's fired instantaneously and if Im in the platoon, she is shunned at best, other at worst! Slugs are best dealt with internally, "Talking in Formation is so 1st week", if they didnt get the hint by week 2, maybe they need a little "special attention", a little peer pressure goes a long way. Thats what your Drill is looking for, teamwork not kiss asses (Unless things have really changed that much, say it aint so!!!!). I dont suggest blanket parties, rolling them up and down the stairs or scrubbing them with toilet brushes (Prolly frowned on now adays), but there must be something you can do to encourage "reasonable participation" isnt there?

So different than 1980, The only woman in out boot were 2 of the ugliest Drill Sergeants you ever saw! Ours had nice ta-ta's but if you got caught looking at them, god help you! We werent even allowed to read a newspaper, no radios or tape players, the dayroom didnt have a TV or Radio nor did we ever spend a minute in it in 8 weeks, I got to make phone calls 3 times in 8 weeks and that meant waiting in line then talking for 3 minutes or less. It was a total news blackout (We had 50 American hostages in Iran!). Now your blogging from Basic, thats amazing! All I can say is you have 8 weeks to learn and absorb an entire careers worth of background, make sure you keep your eye on the ball! There will be lots of time to chat it up after you earn your US Army Patch. Sounds like your doing great keep it up, god bless you and all your Plat buddies!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-19-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #164
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
He's in Army basic training. Not Marine boot camp. No worries, males are still separated from females for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Now your blogging from Basic, thats amazing!
He's not in basic right now. He's home on leave for the holidays.

(Don't get me wrong - its very odd to me that he is on leave halfway through basic)

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #165
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I'm glad I joined the army, but I feel like there are more knuckleheads than in the Marine Corps. I haven't been through boot camp obviously, but I don't see a drill instructor letting recruits get away with some of the jackassery I've seen.
Its probably the same ratio of good to bad. There's just a lot more of the bad in the army because its a larger service.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

He's in Army basic training. Not Marine boot camp. No worries, males are still separated from females for us.

He's not in basic right now. He's home on leave for the holidays.

(Don't get me wrong - its very odd to me that he is on leave halfway through basic)
Trust me, I wish males and females were separated in basic training too. But I joined the army, they didn't join me. Lol.

And leave half way through basic is weird. But regardless of whether or not I came home, I wouldn't be training. Everything stops so drip sergeants can go home. They do it in summer time too apparently. That's not to say I'm not going to enjoy the break. Who wouldn't? But I'd be just as happy if they didn't do holiday block leave because I would graduate sooner.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #167

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

I was shocked to see an update to this thread, wasn't expecting to hear from you for another month. That's crazy that you got let out for the holidays, unheard of in the Corps. I spent Thanksgiving in Boot and Christmas in MCT, (Marine Combat Training) in a eff'in fox hole at Camp Pendleton! As for females training with males, forget it. That's waayyy to much of a distraction for both sexes, which does say something about the distinction between the Marines vs Army discipline level. Talk in formation or class in Marine basic, stand the eff by! I looked around in the class room one time and our kill hat blindsided me with a slap to the face. The senior pulled me in the duty hut later that day and asked me about it, and I didn't say ****! I was too freakin scared of getting smoked everyday to rat on him.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #168
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

WF: I went through Basic, WOCS, and began Basic Flight the year before you. I could have " Borrowed" time to go home for the whole 8-9 days, but I chose going home for just NewYears. Never had any contact with female recruits, and there were only 3 out of our 124 person class @ WOCS...and none in Basic flight...but you know, things we still a bit different back then.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #169
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Seriously, you're on holiday vacation from boot camp Things have changed dramatically since my time. LOL

The 2 things I remember most about basic. Was always being tired, never a moment of complete rest. And Dbl timing (read running our ass off) everywhere we went.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Seriously, you're on holiday vacation from boot camp Things have changed dramatically since my time. LOL

The 2 things I remember most about basic. Was always being tired, never a moment of complete rest. And Dbl timing (read running our ass off) everywhere we went.
Yessir. It's pretty ridiculous. I won't lie and say I'm not enjoying being home an seeing my family, but this is extending basic by 2 weeks. I just want to graduate and move on to ait in sunny Arizona. Lol.

And we hardly run at all. So you probably wouldn't recognize basic, were you to do it again. Not my choice, and I can't change it.