Veteran advice - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #151
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Congratulations on making it so far bud. You're doing great and it sounds like you'll finish just fine.

I've only been in six years (almost) but even I've noticed the military has changed a lot I'm the last couple years. Even Marine Corps boot camp, usually regarded by most as the most difficult, has been toned down a bit. Our Drill Instructors still have a few tricks, though.

Just don't take the easyness for granted. They're training you to become a BASIC soldier. What kind of soldier you become after basic training is largely up to you. And a lot of things about the military will be a thousand times more difficult than basic training.

I've never heard of being allowed to take leave in the middle of boot camp. I guess "its a new Army." I just hope the Corps is maintaining some semblance of discipline and not allowing that.

Oh, and you'll always have to put up with idiots and delinquents, unfortunately. (Especially in the Army. )

Thanks for the update. Good luck!

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #152

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Thanks for the update.

Part of the training with a battle buddy is to help you realize the whole unit may only be as strong as that one weak link. It also make you not want to be "that guy" that everyone else is compensating for. It also lets you know that everyone has bad days, and everyone will have to pick up the slack, no one is perfect all the time. It also lets you know, that even setbacks can be overcome.

Keep pushing. Glad you get a chance to come back to the peninsula for the Holiday.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #153

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Congratulations on making it so far bud. You're doing great and it sounds like you'll finish just fine.

I've only been in six years (almost) but even I've noticed the military has changed a lot I'm the last couple years. Even Marine Corps boot camp, usually regarded by most as the most difficult, has been toned down a bit. Our Drill Instructors still have a few tricks, though.
Just don't take the easyness for granted. They're training you to become a BASIC soldier. What kind of soldier you become after basic training is largely up to you. And a lot of things about the military will be a thousand times more difficult than basic training.

I've never heard of being allowed to take leave in the middle of boot camp. I guess "its a new Army." I just hope the Corps is maintaining some semblance of discipline and not allowing that.

Oh, and you'll always have to put up with idiots and delinquents, unfortunately. (Especially in the Army. )

Thanks for the update. Good luck!
I agree that I'm just being basically trained, I just thought I'd have a harder time I guess. Haha. I know it does get physically harder after basic training, but I think basic should be harder. Even still there are several people I know will be getting sent home or recycled in my platoon because they can't pass their pt test. I already passed the final pt test standards on my diagnostic test. 229/300. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm shooting for 270 by graduation.

As far as leave, it feels weird to take it before I graduate. But the alternative was to stay back, get put in a different unit for two weeks and get taken on field trips like high school or something. Plus if I didn't, I would be able to see my family for 8 months. And I'll admit, I actually miss them.

Don't get me started on discipline and delinquents. There are some real winners, especially in my platoon. It makes you wonder why they joined. I wasn't prepared for that, or at least not on the level I've witnessed. But there's not really anything you can do except stay away and not let them bring you down.

Funny story, our former platoon guide made a list of the worst people in our platoon. The most disrespectful ones who blatantly ignored directions and talked in formation constantly. He gave the list to our senior drill sergeant thinking they'd get in trouble or counseled, but he instead made them all squad leaders, guidon, assistant platoon guide, and the worst one got platoon guide. That sucked. We all suffered, until she got fired this morning for standing by and watching as the rest of the platoon got corrective training.

I guess that's life. Lol.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #154
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3175 Times on 2156 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Glad to hear from you, and glad you are "keep on Keepin on"
Even though I'm out well over 20 years now, I saw the continuing change through being involved with ROTC & JrROTC programs.
Sounds like at the rate your going, you'll be going to NCO school soon! Enjoy your holiday.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Thanks for the update.

Part of the training with a battle buddy is to help you realize the whole unit may only be as strong as that one weak link. It also make you not want to be "that guy" that everyone else is compensating for. It also lets you know that everyone has bad days, and everyone will have to pick up the slack, no one is perfect all the time. It also lets you know, that even setbacks can be overcome.

Keep pushing. Glad you get a chance to come back to the peninsula for the Holiday.
Basic training has definitely reinforced the weakest link concept. At this point in training it's clear who's just having a bad day and who the repeat offenders are (they're all in leadership positions now except the pg)
I know I'm definitely not perfect. I've stayed pretty much under the radar or the drill sergeants though. No major screw ups.

Thanks. I can't wait to get back. I never thought I'd miss Washington, until I experienced Oklahoma. No offense to those of you from Oklahoma, but this place sucks. Lol

Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #156
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

When I say gets harder,yes physically is true. But I meant emotionally. I hope you never have to experience losing someone from your unit in combat (I was back home in garrison). Or seeing your buddies come home injured from deployment.

You mentioned missing your family. That's what I meant when I said it gets harder. I'm away from my wife and kids right now and I hate it. Its easily the hardest part of my career so far. Even though I originally enlisted to deploy and serve my country, being away from my family for even a short period of time has made me rethink wanting to be deployed at all.

Regarding the knuckleheads. Some people are literally given two options from a judge: either enlist or go to jail. I've met several. Other people are just actually stupid.

Unfortunately a lot of people enlist because they have literally no other prospects in life. So they might as well earn a paycheck and get free college. There's something noble about trying to better you lot in life, but a lot of these people put themselves into those situations by bad choices and don't want to live with it or fix it.

But I believe that "nasty 10%" will shrink over the next couple years with the massive downsizing going on. Standards HAVE to improve when they're recruiting fewer people.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #157
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And regarding the sh*t heads being in leadership positions - there's a school of thought that if you stick screw-ups in a position where others are depending on them, they will learn faster and screw-up less. Also, it unites the platoon against the Drill Sergeants, thus ideally bringing you all a little closer. Or the recruit leadership will fall on their faces and get weeded out sooner.

Either way its a fairly common leadership tactic, one that I've used myself successfully once or twice.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #158

Quote:
When I say gets harder,yes physically is true. But I meant emotionally. I hope you never have to experience losing someone from your unit in combat (I was back home in garrison). Or seeing your buddies come home injured from deployment.

You mentioned missing your family. That's what I meant when I said it gets harder. I'm away from my wife and kids right now and I hate it. Its easily the hardest part of my career so far. Even though I originally enlisted to deploy and serve my country, being away from my family for even a short period of time has made me rethink wanting to be deployed at all.

Regarding the knuckleheads. Some people are literally given two options from a judge: either enlist or go to jail. I've met several. Other people are just actually stupid.

Unfortunately a lot of people enlist because they have literally no other prospects in life. So they might as well earn a paycheck and get free college. There's something noble about trying to better you lot in life, but a lot of these people put themselves into those situations by bad choices and don't want to live with it or fix it.

But I believe that "nasty 10%" will shrink over the next couple years with the massive downsizing going on. Standards HAVE to improve when they're recruiting fewer people.
Ohhh yeah, that will be harder too. I was surprised by how mentally/emotionally tough the first few days were. Reception was the crappiest week of my life. I missed home and my family a lot and just wanted to go home. But I also knew that feeling would go away. And it did. Or at least it didn't dominate my mind anymore. I still miss my family though and I really don't know when I'll see them again after this because I'm going to owe the army leave days I haven't earned. Plus there is the possibility of getting deployed, which from what I've heard from drill sergeants is somewhat likely.

And I hope I don't have to experience losing anyone like that either. Whether I'm deployed or not.

I hope the knuckleheads shrink.

I'm glad I joined the army, but I feel like there are more knuckleheads than in the Marine Corps. I haven't been through boot camp obviously, but I don't see a drill instructor letting recruits get away with some of the jackassery I've seen.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #159

Quote:
And regarding the sh*t heads being in leadership positions - there's a school of thought that if you stick screw-ups in a position where others are depending on them, they will learn faster and screw-up less. Also, it unites the platoon against the Drill Sergeants, thus ideally bringing you all a little closer. Or the recruit leadership will fall on their faces and get weeded out sooner.

Either way its a fairly common leadership tactic, one that I've used myself successfully once or twice.
Yeah I understood it when I saw it happen. He fired every single leader in front of the platoon and then called out the new leaders. The whole platoon just put their heads down.

The tactic sort of backfired. Or maybe not. Idk. We all got sort of unmotivated and were more against the pg than the DS. I like my Senior DS even when he's pissed at us so does the rest of the platoon. He was just tryin to make those individual's step up.
The pg got fired after 2 days so she clearly didn't. She won't make it anyway.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #160

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post

Thanks. I can't wait to get back. I never thought I'd miss Washington, until I experienced Oklahoma. No offense to those of you from Oklahoma, but this place sucks. Lol
Now you can understand why Cherokee, Chocktaw, and Seminole tribes could still be pissed after being moved from Florida and other prime real estate.