Veteran advice - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I think you're a POS and will fail.

:P

Just kidding. You'll do fine. You're going in with a good attitude it sounds like.

By the way. Thank you for your desire to serve.
Hahah for a sec I was thinking "wow his attitude sure changed. What pr!ck!"

But thank you. I'm trying to be positive. I do occasionally get a wave of "oh sh** I actually signed. My life's about to change big time." it's really weird. Good, but weird.

Thank you for already serving.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #142

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

When you get to Camp on the bus you'll pass by a golf course with guys laughing and having a good time, the nco club with guys hanging out, checking each other's new cars out, the basketball court where everyone's having a good time, maybe even the post pool with all the wives and daughters in bikinis catching some Sun. Well, forget it! You ain't a part of any of that. You're scum. You're a worthless piece of excrement. Youll wash out before the third week. They'll send you crying home to mama. If you cut your wrists, you'll mop the GD floor before you go to the dispensary.
Suck it up. They're going to break you down to build you up. You'll be a part of a very special family. (I never understood that stupid "an Army of one" advertising b.s.) As long as you remember that, you'll be alright. Stand up and watch the other guys fall.

Just my 2cts.

Gone turducken huntin'

Mercator Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #143

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Hahah for a sec I was thinking "wow his attitude sure changed. What pr!ck!"

But thank you. I'm trying to be positive. I do occasionally get a wave of "oh sh** I actually signed. My life's about to change big time." it's really weird. Good, but weird.

Thank you for already serving.
That is pretty normal. Just keep your head up and don't let **** get to you. Its all about heart, if you have enough heart to make it through you will, if not then you won't.

Everyone was telling me I could never make it through infantry training let alone a deployment because of my size( I'm only 5'3). I went on after basic to go through Airborne, Air Assault and Sniper School. Never got put in scout platoon because the last slot got filled up while I was in sniper school. I was the only one in my company to have perfect qualification scores across the board on every weapon I had to qualify with. Anyone can make it through and excel as long as they WANT it bad enough.

Good luck and embrace the suck it is your friend.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #144
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

[QUOTE=sbeezy;1370414]I've always been good academically when I apply myself. My last year of college was all 4.0 except for a stupid sculpture class and math.
I'm already in the mindset of doing it as a career. I don't know if I will but I want to start out on that path and if things change then I can deal with it. I was kind of bummed I didn't get any other schools in my contract, but I plan on taking whatever I can get.

That facial expression deal is one of my worries. I know people laugh or smile at stuff they say but I don't imagine I'll find it funny when there's a drill sergeant yelling in my face. And if I don't keep that straight face I'll be paying for it. I'm expecting some screw ups along the way. With some of the people I've seen at meps I'm confident that I won't be the center of attention too often. A lot of those guys just can't follow simple directions. And that's without someone screaming in their face. Although I'll have to pay for their mistakes too.

Thanks for the advice. We're you MI as well?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was....

Become steel or get cut.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #145

Heading to basic tomorrow afternoon. Just wanted to give one last thank you to everyone and say, see ya in a couple of months!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #146

Liked 101 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Drink lots of water.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #147
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy
Heading to basic tomorrow afternoon. Just wanted to give one last thank you to everyone and say, see ya in a couple of months!
Good luck brother! Give us an update here when you get back!

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #148

Thank you, I will. This is the only forum I've visited consistently and I plan on coming back and buying the full membership.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #149

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy
Thank you, I will. This is the only forum I've visited consistently and I plan on coming back and buying the full membership.
GOOD LUCK! Talk to you when you graduate!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #150

Hey everyone, it's been a month and a half since I set out for basic. I just wanted to update you all. I'm on holiday block leave right now. I don't know if they did that for all you when you were in basic back in the day or not, but I decided to go home instead of staying on post being babysat for 3 weeks.

As far as basic training goes, I'm doing well. It's definitely not what I expected. It's one of those things I built up in my head. I know it's also changed a lot since many of you went through it. I think the vision I had was of the old basic training or something. It's pretty tame, almost to an annoying point. The drill sergeants aren't allowed to do much.

The training by itself is really easy. As long as you do the training, you will graduate. And pass your pt test of course. The hard part is the people. "Battle buddies" make it a lot harder than it should be. I don't know if you all had the same experience. It has required a lot of restraint at times. There are frequent "wtf" moments when people do the dumbest crap.

Right time, right place, and right uniform is pretty much the motto for success I've heard repeated many times, and it's true. Of course there are other variables that can screw you up (usually something a battle buddy did) like this morning when a couple people decided to spit on the drill pad.

Even getting in trouble isn't that bad at basic though. I expected to get "smoked" a lot more and a lot worse. So far I can only remember one instance where they gave us really hard corrective training.

I may have gained weight since I got there actually. My run time did improve, but that's because I haven't smoked. We've only done 4 distance runs since I got to basic. That's less than one a week. So I'm going to be running over break.

I still have 4 weeks of basic left when I return but I'm confident. There's no reason, minus injury, that I can't finish. Oklahoma is so flat that the ruck marches are a piece of cake. Plus we carry barely any weight.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update and remind you all I exist since I'll be posting and reading up while I'm on leave.
I still appreciate everyone's support and have thought about things you have said since I've been at basic. I know you all did it before me and I'll do it to. Hell, I'm over halfway done.