Veteran advice - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Well I'd like to be one of the ones who know what they're doing. I obviously don't know much about how things work in the military so I'll probably understand more of what you guys mean when I look back on what you've said. But I'm probably safe in assuming it's good advice.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #132
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post

Some people slip between the cracks just remeber there is a diffrence between a sgt and an nco a sgt is just somebody with rank that everybody hates a nco is a soldier who takes care of the soldiers appointed under him and actually does his job
In the Corps we tend to say there is a difference between an NCO (sometimes we say the rank) and an E5 (or whatever the paygrade is). An E5 just collects a paycheck. An NCO earns his and takes care of his Juniors and makes them genuinely want to do their best work.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #133
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1016 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 127

What ever branch you pick, just be ready to handle all the sh#t details you are going to be assigned to. Take everything serious, do a good job no matter what. Don't goof off. Don't be lead astray by some goober that thinks he is cute acting the fool. Follow orders no matter what you think of the person giving them. Never back talk a senior rank. Wear your uniform with pride. Study, volunteer for schools. It will not take long for your superiors to spot you as a can do person. You will get good marks that will go in your service record. All this will help with advancement and assignment.

This is coming from a retired US Navy E8.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by Dearhunter; 09-14-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #134
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
What ever branch you pick, just be ready to handle all the sh#t details you are going to be assigned to. Take everything serious, do a good job no matter what. Don't goof off. Don't to lead astray by some goober that thinks he is cute acting the fool. Follow orders not matter what you think of the person giving them. Never back talk a senior rank. Wear your uniform with pride. Study, volunteer for schools. It will not take long for your superiors to spot you as a can do person. You will get good marks that will go in your service record. All this will help with advancement and assignment.

All solid advice.

Sbeezy, I just want to give you the Marine Corps' definition of discipline real fast while I'm thinking about it. Understand what it means and take it to heart, and I can almost guarantee you'll do well.

"Discipline is the instant, willing, obedience to all orders; respect for authority; self-reliance; and teamwork."

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #135
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

In the Corps we tend to say there is a difference between an NCO (sometimes we say the rank) and an E5 (or whatever the paygrade is). An E5 just collects a paycheck. An NCO earns his and takes care of his Juniors and makes them genuinely want to do their best work.
Same concept

Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post

Same concept
Yup, absolutely. Just thought I'd chime in.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter
What ever branch you pick, just be ready to handle all the sh#t details you are going to be assigned to. Take everything serious, do a good job no matter what. Don't goof off. Don't to lead astray by some goober that thinks he is cute acting the fool. Follow orders not matter what you think of the person giving them. Never back talk a senior rank. Wear your uniform with pride. Study, volunteer for schools. It will not take long for your superiors to spot you as a can do person. You will get good marks that will go in your service record. All this will help with advancement and assignment.

I'm anticipating the details. Especially for the 2 weeks during Christmas exodus. It's a bummer I have to do two extra weeks in basic because of that. Whatever though. What's two weeks difference in the long run.

Speaking of being lead astray, it's a probably a good thing my friend didn't qualify for the same job. We'd probably bring each other down. I'll be a lot more focuses on my own.

I'm hoping I stand out. After basic at least. I'm not hung up on always being noticed or getting credit, but it will be nice being in a position where you at least get some recognition. Something you won't find in a minimum wage nowhere job.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #138
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy

I'm anticipating the details. Especially for the 2 weeks during Christmas exodus. It's a bummer I have to do two extra weeks in basic because of that. Whatever though. What's two weeks difference in the long run.

Speaking of being lead astray, it's a probably a good thing my friend didn't qualify for the same job. We'd probably bring each other down. I'll be a lot more focuses on my own.

I'm hoping I stand out. After basic at least. I'm not hung up on always being noticed or getting credit, but it will be nice being in a position where you at least get some recognition. Something you won't find in a minimum wage nowhere job.
You have a Positive outlook, which is the main thing. I hated going to basic in the summer, but it could have been worse(winter in NJ!). Again I wish you luck, and get in touch when your done with Basic. You have a supporter in this Ret. Army Chief!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

You have a Positive outlook, which is the main thing. I hated going to basic in the summer, but it could have been worse(winter in NJ!). Again I wish you luck, and get in touch when your done with Basic. You have a supporter in this Ret. Army Chief!!
Yeah I'm REALLY happy I'm going in fall/winter. The highs will be around 50-60 degrees which isn't bad at all.

I'll be in touch with all of you for sure. It really has meant a lot getting advice and talking to you guys. And I didn't get any bs replies (except the pog one). Lol. I don't have any military family members that I'm close to, but I knew there were quite a few vets on here who would give me their two cents.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #140
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post

Yeah I'm REALLY happy I'm going in fall/winter. The highs will be around 50-60 degrees which isn't bad at all.

I'll be in touch with all of you for sure. It really has meant a lot getting advice and talking to you guys. And I didn't get any bs replies (except the pog one). Lol. I don't have any military family members that I'm close to, but I knew there were quite a few vets on here who would give me their two cents.
I think you're a POS and will fail.

:P

Just kidding. You'll do fine. You're going in with a good attitude it sounds like.

By the way. Thank you for your desire to serve.

Always have clean socks.