Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,199
Liked 2182 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
That's the part that sucks. I can prepare physically, but there's no way to mentally prepare. I don't have any experience even close to that. I'm pretty level headed though so hopefully that will help.
Just do what you're told WITHOUT over-thinking it.

All the bugs in boot camp were the ones who thought

about things too much. Boot-camp training works.

Just go with it.


And consider taking some correspondence classes,

once you get settled in at your first duty station.

Don't forget we are all rooting for you. Best of luck.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #122
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitsap County, Washington State
Posts: 577
Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Just do what you're told WITHOUT over-thinking it.

All the bugs in boot camp were the ones who thought

about things too much. Boot-camp training works.

Just go with it.

And consider taking some correspondence classes,

once you get settled in at your first duty station.

Don't forget we are all rooting for you. Best of luck.
I don't think that I over think things too much but I do tend to think things will be worse then they are. But I'm fine with that because if it's not as bad as I anticipated, I win.

And what do you mean by correspondence classes? If you mean that I don't write very well or come across as succinct and concise it's because I'm always on my phone so I don't take the time to spell check or always use proper punctuation. Or i miss buttons on my touch screen. Lol. I'm generally a good writer and I've always aced English or any courses that require writing papers.

Thank you for the advice and support. It means a lot.
__________________
sbeezy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,199
Liked 2182 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
And what do you mean by correspondence classes? If you mean that I don't write very well or come across as succinct and concise it's because I'm always on my phone so I don't take the time to spell check or always use proper punctuation. Or i miss buttons on my touch screen. Lol. I'm generally a good writer and I've always aced English or any courses that require writing papers.
Aw dang, dude, you're already way overthinking it. I wish I had taken

some correspondence courses while I was on station. I did not mean

to, in any way, criticize your grammar skills.


And keep in touch with us. We are always here for you, the

brotherhood of U.S. Armed Forces Veterans. We have been where

you are going, and will always share the bond of courage, service,

sacrifice, and honor.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #124
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 188
Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I don't think that I over think things too much but I do tend to think things will be worse then they are. But I'm fine with that because if it's not as bad as I anticipated, I win.

And what do you mean by correspondence classes? If you mean that I don't write very well or come across as succinct and concise it's because I'm always on my phone so I don't take the time to spell check or always use proper punctuation. Or i miss buttons on my touch screen. Lol. I'm generally a good writer and I've always aced English or any courses that require writing papers.

Thank you for the advice and support. It means a lot.
It will be much worse than expect. They will push you past your breaking to see if you will quit or tough it out. They will make sure your life is absolute hell. You will be tired you will hurt more than you have ever hurt before but it will make you stronger in the end as long as you don't quit. We are all rooting for you, its a great life and there is no end to what you can do while you are in the military. As far as your AIT I have no idea we Infantryman get OSUT( One Station Unit Training) same Drill Sergeants for 15 weeks.

P.s. If someone tells you to drink milk before the gas chamber DON'T
__________________

Last edited by MTHunter; 09-14-2013 at 12:50 AM.
MTHunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitsap County, Washington State
Posts: 577
Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Aw dang, dude, you're already way overthinking it. I wish I had taken

some correspondence courses while I was on station. I did not mean

to, in any way, criticize your grammar skills.

And keep in touch with us. We are always here for you, the

brotherhood of U.S. Armed Forces Veterans. We have been where

you are going, and will always share the bond of courage, service,

sacrifice, and honor.
Oh its fine, i was just wondering if that's the reason because I know I type crappy on my phones sometimes. Lol. But I'll probably take the correspondence advice. I want to do anything that will help me out or help with promotions

Thank you. I will definitely keep in touch. I'll be right back on here once I'm able to have a phone/computer. This is a great forum because of people like you and everyone else who posted on this. And the non veterans are awesome too. Haha.

I
__________________
sbeezy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitsap County, Washington State
Posts: 577
Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter

It will be much worse than expect. They will push you past your breaking to see if you will quit or tough it out. They will make sure your life is absolute hell. You will be tired you will hurt more than you have ever hurt before but it will make you stronger in the end as long as you don't quit. We are all rooting for you, its a great life and there is no end to what you can do while you are in the military. As far as your AIT I have no idea we Infantryman get OSUT( One Station Unit Training) same Drill Sergeants for 15 weeks.

P.s. If someone tells you to drink milk before the gas chamber DON'T
Oh my expectations are already right where you're talking about. Which is good I think. I by no means think it will be easy. But if it were it wouldn't be worth it.


I don't like milk much anyway, so I'm good on that front.
__________________
sbeezy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #127
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,604
Liked 3565 Times on 2220 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I want to do anything that will help me out or help with promotions
Don't be in too much of a hurry to get promoted. Nothing worse than a boot NCO who doesn't know the job.

In the Corps, we always say its every rank's responsibility to learn the job and duties of the next rank up. If you're a real stud, you'll learn two ranks up.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitsap County, Washington State
Posts: 577
Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get promoted. Nothing worse than a boot NCO who doesn't know the job.

In the Corps, we always say its every rank's responsibility to learn the job and duties of the next rank up. If you're a real stud, you'll learn two ranks up.
Oh I sort of assumed you had to know what you were doing to get promoted. Is that not the case? It seems like you should have to show some sort of proficiency in your job to rank up.
__________________
sbeezy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,604
Liked 3565 Times on 2220 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post

Oh I sort of assumed you had to know what you were doing to get promoted. Is that not the case? It seems like you should have to show some sort of proficiency in your job to rank up.
It depends on the branch, MOS, a lot of different things.

There are always going to be those who slip through the cracks and don't know sh*t about d*ck. It happens. Unfortunately no branch, IMO, has figured out a perfect promotion system yet. Some do it better than others but its all far from perfect.

Don't get me wrong. MOST of those who get promoted know what they're doing.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #130
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
woody63m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 721
Liked 151 Times on 90 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy

Oh I sort of assumed you had to know what you were doing to get promoted. Is that not the case? It seems like you should have to show some sort of proficiency in your job to rank up.
Some people slip between the cracks just remeber there is a diffrence between a sgt and an nco a sgt is just somebody with rank that everybody hates a nco is a soldier who takes care of the soldiers appointed under him and actually does his job
__________________
woody63m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Question for all of you veteran's beastmode986 Training & Safety 66 06-27-2013 10:52 PM
2nd and veteran niteglock General Handgun Discussion 3 01-23-2013 06:36 PM
Are you a Veteran/AD/R? Here's some thanks. canebrake The Club House 7 11-30-2010 03:14 PM
Thank a Veteran. pioneer461 The Club House 3 12-20-2007 11:26 PM