Veteran advice - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I bet a lot has changed since then. I just go to basic there then I go to ft. Huachuca for ait.
Good Luck and Congratulations? Basic is the hardest part other than deployment. Remember everything the Drill Sergeants do is all mind games.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Quote:
I bet a lot has changed since then. I just go to basic there then I go to ft. Huachuca for ait.
If you want give me a holler when you get to Ft. Huachuca, it's an hour drive for me. I'll buy you a beer.

So you took up an Intel MOS good for you Which one?

Become steel or get cut.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #113

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon

If you want give me a holler when you get to Ft. Huachuca, it's an hour drive for me. I'll buy you a beer.

So you took up an Intel MOS good for you Which one?
I may have to take you up on that.

I got human intelligence collector. So I'll be doing interrogations if deployed. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do stateside. I've heard they do a lot of training in first aid and what not but I'm not sure what else. And if I reenlist I'll have a chance at language school. I wasn't able to get it for my first enlistment though.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt

From personal experience, if you want to be in the Marine Corps, Join the navy. Volunteer to be in the Hospital Corps, and when you get through "A" school, volunteer to be in the Fleet Marine Force. I know guys that went "native" when they got assigned to a Marine unit. One guy was in Force Recon, and really got into it. I spent so much time with the Marines, that I did not feel comfortable on ships as I really didn't know many things about them. Getting around on foot, and in CH-46's was my mode of travel. This does not mean I didn't spend any time on ships, because I did get to travel as "cargo" with my company. Field medical training was like a mini Marine Boot Camp when I did it in the 70's. Probably much different now though, and the requirements to get the Fleet Marine rating are more demanding now. They spent less time on us because we were getting ready for Viet Nam. Overall I enjoyed being in a Marine company, and feel it was a memorable time in my 60+ years.

I do have to say this. Know what you are getting into. Our enemies of today that kill our people, will be our friends tomorrow, and the dead troops will have died at the wim of our leaders for nothing. The last three presidents really come to mind. Good luck with you goals, and be careful. Rick
I actually just signed with the army but thank you for the advice.

I know what I'm getting into and that it's a tough, potentially dangerous time. And I don't agree with everything our country/president is doing, but I've also looked beyond that. Thank you for the advice and support and for your service.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Quote:
I may have to take you up on that.

I got human intelligence collector. So I'll be doing interrogations if deployed. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do stateside. I've heard they do a lot of training in first aid and what not but I'm not sure what else. And if I reenlist I'll have a chance at language school. I wasn't able to get it for my first enlistment though.
35Mike... It's a good MI MOS to get your foot in the door. Be prepared for a lot of "clerk" like duties when you arrive permanent duty station. Right now you will be vetted for your security clearance during AIT before anything else can really start.

Keep your academics in the top of your class, and show excellent work ethic and apply for additional schools. Your 1st Sgt tends to have a lot of "informal" connections. Your mindset should always be career, even if you only plan on your initial 4 year commit. Never say otherwise.

Language school is critical to pass, pat attention to the common language skill others in your MOS speak. Rosetta Stone does work fairly well for base knowledge, you can gamble a bit and start mastering the common criteria language on your own during your off time.

For basic, keep your emotions in check, keep stoic facial expressions when the Drills are dead in your S+hit. Allow yourself to think (quickly) before you respond in your voice of thunder.

Be sure to set simple goals to cope. Such as make it to your next meal.

FWIW

Tal~
MI
"Always Out Front"

Become steel or get cut.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon

35Mike... It's a good MI MOS to get your foot in the door. Be prepared for a lot of "clerk" like duties when you arrive permanent duty station. Right now you will be vetted for your security clearance during AIT before anything else can really start.

Keep your academics in the top of your class, and show excellent work ethic and apply for additional schools. Your 1st Sgt tends to have a lot of "informal" connections. Your mindset should always be career, even if you only plan on your initial 4 year commit. Never say otherwise.

Language school is critical to pass, pat attention to the common language skill others in your MOS speak. Rosetta Stone does work fairly well for base knowledge, you can gamble a bit and start mastering the common criteria language on your own during your off time.

For basic, keep your emotions in check, keep stoic facial expressions when the Drills are dead in your S+hit. Allow yourself to think (quickly) before you respond in your voice of thunder.

Be sure to set simple goals to cope. Such as make it to your next meal.

FWIW

Tal~
MI
"Always Out Front"
I've always been good academically when I apply myself. My last year of college was all 4.0 except for a stupid sculpture class and math.
I'm already in the mindset of doing it as a career. I don't know if I will but I want to start out on that path and if things change then I can deal with it. I was kind of bummed I didn't get any other schools in my contract, but I plan on taking whatever I can get.

That facial expression deal is one of my worries. I know people laugh or smile at stuff they say but I don't imagine I'll find it funny when there's a drill sergeant yelling in my face. And if I don't keep that straight face I'll be paying for it. I'm expecting some screw ups along the way. With some of the people I've seen at meps I'm confident that I won't be the center of attention too often. A lot of those guys just can't follow simple directions. And that's without someone screaming in their face. Although I'll have to pay for their mistakes too.

Thanks for the advice. We're you MI as well?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #117
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 292

[QUOTE=JW357;1293519]*ahem* oh here we go.

9. We have a smaller budget, worse equipment, and are approximately half the size of the Army yet we have always done a better job and are generally called on when the hooahs mess things up. Or when you absolutely, positively, have to destroy everything overnight.

This was true. All we had was WW2 and Korea stuff. We had WW2 782 web gear, we had "c" rats from the 50's, our flak jackets were not supposed to stop anything, we didn't carry anything like the 100 lbs plus that they do today, and my 45 had John Wayne's name carved into the grip panel. Our chemical protection was a joke, a chem suit was when you buttoned the wrists and neck of you "utilities".

Still have my e-tool. Don't know how many times I made trips to the bushes with it, but we were trained to, and got by on the minimum issue. During one field training, we sat up on the hill in our holes and watched the Air Force train ambushing convoys. They had the "rich man's" war, grenade simulators, smoke, flares. They assaulted our hill by mistake one extremely dark night. We heard them get tangled in the cammo wire we had strung with tin cans, you know where you put M-60 links in, the afternoon before. We repulsed them with rocks and dirt clods we aimed at the tinkling sounds. You could hear them yell and cuss when they got hit. Marine Corps and Navy Corpsman 1, Air force 0. If there are any of you air force guys out there from this action, Sorry. Slept good that night, no sleep mat.

The flak jacket had two pockets that would hold a fifth of lime-flavored vodka each. Marines are smarter than you think. Once A couple of sgts found out where our next training area was, and went out the night before and buried a couple of cases of beer, on ice. It was really a good time, kinda miss it. My only complaint is the affliction the Marines gave me with firearms, and the VA does nothing to help me maintain my habit.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 09-13-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #118

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Basic is all a mind game. The whole point is to break you down and rebuild you how they want. Just do what you're told, as fast as you possibly can, without error. It's basically only 10% physical and 90% mental.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #119

That's the part that sucks. I can prepare physically, but there's no way to mentally prepare. I don't have any experience even close to that. I'm pretty level headed though so hopefully that will help.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #120

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But...... Don't be a Pog... Join the Infantry! Lead from the front!