Veteran advice - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy
Yeah I was really surprised cause you don't know if you're getting the right answer. Not like the asvab where you can check you're work.

Physically I'm good. Mentally I still gotta prepare. Lol. I'm ready, but it's going to be a big change.
Yeah every time I took it I thought I had failed.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #102

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

[QUOTE="JW357"]

Yeah every time I took it I tho

Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #103

Did you ever go to DLI?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #104

Welp I just swore into the army today and I leave in a little over a month. A lot sooner than I expected which is good.

Thanks to all you who talked to me.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Welp I just swore into the army today and I leave in a little over a month. A lot sooner than I expected which is good.

Good luck bud.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #106
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:

Congrats! best of luck. Were are you going for Basic? I did mine 34 years ago at Ft. Dix. everyone in my class were going to WOCS(warrant officer school) afterwards,...so the Sgt's rode us extra hard, but to me it's all the same and ya only gotta deal with it until it's done.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #107

I'm headed to Ft. Sill. Thanks guys. It's crazy that it's finally happening two months later. And just a month to go and I'll be gone. Kind of nerve racking but exciting.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #108
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
I'm headed to Ft. Sill. Thanks guys. It's crazy that it's finally happening two months later. And just a month to go and I'll be gone. Kind of nerve racking but exciting.
My Dad did artillery school there in 1948!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Thanks for replying guys. I originally wanted to do the marine corps. I was ready to sign and everything when I was 18 but after I got all my medical records (I'd had meningitis and as a result of all the pain mess developed gall stones an had my gall bladder removed) I got disqualified for 6 months. Then got lazy and got out of shape and got tattoos. That was about 3 years ago. Now I can't get in the corps cause of my tattoos. So I'm going for the army now. I was planning on intelligence but until you mentioned medical I hadn't even considered it. I'm gonna read up on that.
From personal experience, if you want to be in the Marine Corps, Join the navy. Volunteer to be in the Hospital Corps, and when you get through "A" school, volunteer to be in the Fleet Marine Force. I know guys that went "native" when they got assigned to a Marine unit. One guy was in Force Recon, and really got into it. I spent so much time with the Marines, that I did not feel comfortable on ships as I really didn't know many things about them. Getting around on foot, and in CH-46's was my mode of travel. This does not mean I didn't spend any time on ships, because I did get to travel as "cargo" with my company. Field medical training was like a mini Marine Boot Camp when I did it in the 70's. Probably much different now though, and the requirements to get the Fleet Marine rating are more demanding now. They spent less time on us because we were getting ready for Viet Nam. Overall I enjoyed being in a Marine company, and feel it was a memorable time in my 60+ years.

I do have to say this. Know what you are getting into. Our enemies of today that kill our people, will be our friends tomorrow, and the dead troops will have died at the wim of our leaders for nothing. The last three presidents really come to mind. Good luck with you goals, and be careful. Rick

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

JW357 Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

My Dad did artillery school there in 1948!!
I bet a lot has changed since then. I just go to basic there then I go to ft. Huachuca for ait.