Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Veteran advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Veteran advice

I'm going into the army recruiting office on monday to hopefully start the enlistment process. Any advice from the veterans out there?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Yeah, join the Navy.

If you're going into the Army, pick an MOS that is guaranteed before you sign the contract. Pick one that will give you a skill that you can use on the outside. Pick one that is a bit above and beyond to improve your advancement potential. Advancement means you will move up in rank faster, which means more pay and higher possibility for retention if you decide you want to stick it out to 20 years and retire.

Math, Science, Engineering, Medical. All marketable on the outside.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1633 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 3379

Anything in the medical field is a great MOS.

Did ya consider any of the other branches?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #4

Thanks for replying guys. I originally wanted to do the marine corps. I was ready to sign and everything when I was 18 but after I got all my medical records (I'd had meningitis and as a result of all the pain mess developed gall stones an had my gall bladder removed) I got disqualified for 6 months. Then got lazy and got out of shape and got tattoos. That was about 3 years ago. Now I can't get in the corps cause of my tattoos. So I'm going for the army now. I was planning on intelligence but until you mentioned medical I hadn't even considered it. I'm gonna read up on that.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3694 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy
Thanks for replying guys. I originally wanted to do the marine corps. I was ready to sign and everything when I was 18 but after I got all my medical records (I'd had meningitis and as a result of all the pain mess developed gall stones an had my gall bladder removed) I got disqualified for 6 months. Then got lazy and got out of shape and got tattoos. That was about 3 years ago. Now I can't get in the corps cause of my tattoos. So I'm going for the army now. I was planning on intelligence but until you mentioned medical I hadn't even considered it. I'm gonna read up on that.
I definitely think intel is a good choice. Limitless opportunity for employment when you get out, as the Intel Community isn't going anywhere. Government jobs, civilian contracting jobs, the sky's the limit. It's rewarding, it's beneficial, the pay can be good after you get out. Plus you're going to be in an essential job for the security of the country. And you'll have a TS-SCI clearance, which is invaluable. Pick up a language while you're in, either because of your MOS or because you're a hard charger, and that will pad the resume.

But what's more more important is that you pick an MOS which you feel you will be able to live with for awhile. Expect to be in it longer than four years. You don't want to realize you hate your job after six months.

In terms of dealing with recruiters, don't let them "promise" you anything unless its in your contract. At the end of the day what's in writing is what matters. Do your research and don't fall for certain things they will tell you which might sound too good to be true. They probably are.

Remember, you are going to them. They didn't find you, which means they don't have to work to keep you around. This is your advantage. Just remember that if something smells fishy to you, you can back out. I wouldn't sign any paperwork until you've done all your homework and you're 100% confident with the whole process.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

I definitely think intel is a good choice. Limitless opportunity for employment when you get out, as the Intel Community isn't going anywhere. Government jobs, civilian contracting jobs, the sky's the limit. It's rewarding, it's beneficial, the pay can be good after you get out. Plus you're going to be in an essential job for the security of the country. And you'll have a TS-SCI clearance, which is invaluable. Pick up a language while you're in, either because of your MOS or because you're a hard charger, and that will pad the resume.

But what's more more important is that you pick an MOS which you feel you will be able to live with for awhile. Expect to be in it longer than four years. You don't want to realize you hate your job after six months.

In terms of dealing with recruiters, don't let them "promise" you anything unless its in your contract. At the end of the day what's in writing is what matters. Do your research and don't fall for certain things they will tell you which might sound too good to be true. They probably are.

Remember, you are going to them. They didn't find you, which means they don't have to work to keep you around. This is your advantage. Just remember that if something smells fishy to you, you can back out. I wouldn't sign any paperwork until you've done all your homework and you're 100% confident with the whole process.
Thanks. Intel is what I've been leaning toward and I've done more research on that than anything. My dad's cousin was in intel and now he has a decent paying job in dc. Plus it sounds interesting. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to make sure I read my contract VERY thoroughly. I'd like to think most recruiters are honest, but one can't really rely on that being fact. From what I've read the army guarantees jobs even before entering DEP. my plan is to go in and be adamant about what job I want and let them know (respectfully of course) that I won't take less than what I ask for. After all it is my life and job for the next 4+ years. It would be a shame to get stuck in something I despise.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3694 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy

Thanks. Intel is what I've been leaning toward and I've done more research on that than anything. My dad's cousin was in intel and now he has a decent paying job in dc. Plus it sounds interesting. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to make sure I read my contract VERY thoroughly. I'd like to think most recruiters are honest, but one can't really rely on that being fact. From what I've read the army guarantees jobs even before entering DEP. my plan is to go in and be adamant about what job I want and let them know (respectfully of course) that I won't take less than what I ask for. After all it is my life and job for the next 4+ years. It would be a shame to get stuck in something I despise.
Exactly. Perfect mindset. I would add that there's a good chance most MOS' are going to be closed out right now. Usually jobs open in October when the fiscal year starts, and then close a few months later (for the Corps). What you can do (again, with the Marine Corps, not sure about the Army) is sign a general contract to guarantee you a spot, so to speak, and then sign a new MOS specific contract when the jobs open up. Or just not sign anything now and wait until October to sign. Start talking to them, though. Absolutely. No harm in that. Just don't think you have to sign and ship to boot camp immediately. There's no rush, especially if waiting ups your chances of getting the MOS you want.

Best of luck to you.

Always have clean socks.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #8

Yeah I'm already resigned to the fact I'll have to wait at least 3 months. I'm sort of in a hurry but that's just mentally. I'm excited to get started and move on in life. But I don't want to trade an early ship date for a job I hate.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #9

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

As someone stated, pick a military occupational specialty(MOS) that can be used in civilian life. Medical Equipment Repair (MOS 68A) and Aviation Electronic Equipment Repair (MOS 94L)trained personnel are much sought after in the civilian job market. Check on career fields that offer an enlistment bonus. Whatever field you select make sure it is listed on your oath of enlistment. You can also take a pre enlistment aptitude test to see if you qualify for the MOS that you have selected or possibly qualify you for more a more advanced course. The sample test will also point out areas where you are falling short before you take the actual battery of tests. You can also review the Army school catalog that list all MOS's and schools offered for each and necessary qualifications.

If you have a college degree, check on officers candidate school or flight school, if qualified/selected you will attend training after you complete basic training.

Note; the aptitude test scores will be used throughout your service career and qualify or disqualify you for future advanced schooling.

I wish you well......

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

dango Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #10

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Navy Hospital Corps provides all the medical support for the Marine Corps. Navy crypto the techs tend to do a lot of the intel work for Navy and Marine Corps as well. Depending on the extent of the tattoos, they may be waiverable.

Navy Hospital Corpsmen have a chance if operating in many communities, Sea, Air, or Land components, between ships , subs, aviation, construction units, there seriously is a lot the Navy can offer in career training and experiences.

The intel guys also work in many environments.

Just something to consider.