A very nice afternoon (History Lesson)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A very nice afternoon (History Lesson)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Default A very nice afternoon (History Lesson)

Well, having been a good boy, and worked his butt off yesterday, C3 earned a day of goofing off. Being that today was "Chamber of Commerce" weather here in Central VA, I had promised the Anarchist-in-Training (granddaughter) that we could do the picnic/ sighseeing thing, with an ulterior motive of sharing some family history with her.

One of stops was planned at a small stone memorial to an ancestor, fellow by the name of James Pleasants, a Confederate soldier. On arrival, to our surprise, the monument on the roadside was surrounded- by a dozen mounted Union Cavalrymen. We pulled off on the grass across from the monument, and listened in as a local lady (also on horseback) recited the story of Great-great Uncle James. One of the cav troopers rode over to where we were standing, and told us we were welcome to come over and listen. I thanked him, and explained we did not want to interrupt- I was introducing the A-I-T to some of her ancestors- she was a descendant of the gent on the monument.

His mouth fell open- he rode over, spoke to their CO, who returned, asked that we PLEASE join them, and introduced the A-I-T to the group as a relative of James- at which she was saluted by the detachment- much to her surprise!

Seems the folks were doing a planning ride for a re-enactment later this year of Dahlgren's raid on Richmond- and we have an invite to that. All in all, a VERY nice afternoon, and a young lady that suddenly had history come alive for her.

Below is a C&P from Wikipedia on James Pleasants.

James Pleasants

Of all the contributions that Goochland made during the Civil War, one of the most remarkable is that of James Pleasants, who was born and raised in Goochland County. When the war broke out, he insisted that he take his uncle's place in the Goochland Light Dragoons (known during the war as Co. F, 4th Virginia Cavalry). After much consideration, in 1861, Pleasants was allowed to take his uncle's place. In the winter of 1864, any troops that were close to home were allowed to return there and help recruit soldiers. On his first night home, Dahlgren's raiders stole his horses, but did not search the property. When Pleasants found out what happened, he did not wait for reinforcements, but rather grabbed his carbine and started off on foot after the raiders. When he heard a noise, he hid in the woods, and then ordered the Union cavalryman to surrender. Pleasants then mounted the man's horse, and forced the soldier to walk in front in search of more enemies. Within a short amount of time, James Pleasants was taking numerous soldiers back to Bowles' store as prisoners. In all, James Pleasants had single-handedly captured 15 Union soldiers, recovered 16 horses, and shot one officer that refused to surrender.[4]

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #2

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

C3, a "Life Event" for the A-I-T and will be one of the stories she tells long after you and I have gone to final slide lock.

God bless you and your tutorial following. If you don't provide the knowledge transfer, we will all be forgotten by that great gunfighter in the sky. (excuse the Bad Company reference)

GOOD ON YOU!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Most excellent C3.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3587 Times on 1992 Posts
Likes Given: 152

The lessons I remember the most I learned working on the ranch with my grandfather. That's awesome that she got to see that.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad you had a good afternoon, and some quality history time with the A-I-T.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They don't teach anything like that in schools anymore. Good job c3, I'm glad things worked out as they did.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #7

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

What a wonderful experience for the two of you. One I am sure you will both remember forever.