Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   A very nice afternoon (History Lesson) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/very-nice-afternoon-history-lesson-42868/)

c3shooter 05-22-2011 10:55 PM

A very nice afternoon (History Lesson)

Well, having been a good boy, and worked his butt off yesterday, C3 earned a day of goofing off. Being that today was "Chamber of Commerce" weather here in Central VA, I had promised the Anarchist-in-Training (granddaughter) that we could do the picnic/ sighseeing thing, with an ulterior motive of sharing some family history with her.

One of stops was planned at a small stone memorial to an ancestor, fellow by the name of James Pleasants, a Confederate soldier. On arrival, to our surprise, the monument on the roadside was surrounded- by a dozen mounted Union Cavalrymen. We pulled off on the grass across from the monument, and listened in as a local lady (also on horseback) recited the story of Great-great Uncle James. One of the cav troopers rode over to where we were standing, and told us we were welcome to come over and listen. I thanked him, and explained we did not want to interrupt- I was introducing the A-I-T to some of her ancestors- she was a descendant of the gent on the monument.

His mouth fell open- he rode over, spoke to their CO, who returned, asked that we PLEASE join them, and introduced the A-I-T to the group as a relative of James- at which she was saluted by the detachment- much to her surprise!

Seems the folks were doing a planning ride for a re-enactment later this year of Dahlgren's raid on Richmond- and we have an invite to that. All in all, a VERY nice afternoon, and a young lady that suddenly had history come alive for her.

Below is a C&P from Wikipedia on James Pleasants.

James Pleasants

Of all the contributions that Goochland made during the Civil War, one of the most remarkable is that of James Pleasants, who was born and raised in Goochland County. When the war broke out, he insisted that he take his uncle's place in the Goochland Light Dragoons (known during the war as Co. F, 4th Virginia Cavalry). After much consideration, in 1861, Pleasants was allowed to take his uncle's place. In the winter of 1864, any troops that were close to home were allowed to return there and help recruit soldiers. On his first night home, Dahlgren's raiders stole his horses, but did not search the property. When Pleasants found out what happened, he did not wait for reinforcements, but rather grabbed his carbine and started off on foot after the raiders. When he heard a noise, he hid in the woods, and then ordered the Union cavalryman to surrender. Pleasants then mounted the man's horse, and forced the soldier to walk in front in search of more enemies. Within a short amount of time, James Pleasants was taking numerous soldiers back to Bowles' store as prisoners. In all, James Pleasants had single-handedly captured 15 Union soldiers, recovered 16 horses, and shot one officer that refused to surrender.[4]

canebrake 05-22-2011 11:05 PM

C3, a "Life Event" for the A-I-T and will be one of the stories she tells long after you and I have gone to final slide lock.

God bless you and your tutorial following. If you don't provide the knowledge transfer, we will all be forgotten by that great gunfighter in the sky. (excuse the Bad Company reference)

GOOD ON YOU!

CA357 05-22-2011 11:15 PM

Most excellent C3.

Cinderocka1989 05-22-2011 11:25 PM

The lessons I remember the most I learned working on the ranch with my grandfather. :) That's awesome that she got to see that.

Jesse17 05-22-2011 11:26 PM

Glad you had a good afternoon, and some quality history time with the A-I-T.:)

Car54 05-23-2011 12:30 AM

They don't teach anything like that in schools anymore. Good job c3, I'm glad things worked out as they did.

NitroxAZ 05-23-2011 01:49 AM

What a wonderful experience for the two of you. One I am sure you will both remember forever.