Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Very helpful web site. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/very-helpful-web-site-28541/)

cpttango30 06-20-2010 04:15 PM

Very helpful web site.

Have you ever been out and you get hungry so your busy and you get a nice grease burger fries and a Diet Mt. Dew? Then 10 minutes later you are trucking down the road and it starts "The bubble Gut" You can feel the grease working its magic on your system the gurgling sounds right before you blast off with something foul enough to make others vomit. Your body telling you that double quarter pounder with cheese was not a good idea and you need a bathroom and fast. Well if you have a web enabled smart phone look here to this web site. Sit or squat.com

SitOrSquat.com: Find a toilet or restroom anywhere in the world

Planning a trip I hate using strange bathrooms find and plan your stops around the cleanest bathrooms on your route.

lonyaeger 06-20-2010 04:41 PM

That was in season 7 of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Shihan 06-21-2010 01:45 AM

I got the App on my phone.:D

CHLChris 06-21-2010 02:42 AM

When I clicked on the link, it opened up with a map of my home town. Am I being paranoid to be weirded out by that? How did it know where I live? I'm just using my laptop on a local, wireless (but connected to my own cable line) network. I'm not on my cell phone or anything.

Trippy.

gorknoids 06-21-2010 04:39 AM

Dewwwwwddd.... I needed that last week when I was driving Mrs. Noids to Richmond for a flight. One word; "Volcanic".:eek:

cpttango30 06-21-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 303714)
When I clicked on the link, it opened up with a map of my home town. Am I being paranoid to be weirded out by that? How did it know where I live? I'm just using my laptop on a local, wireless (but connected to my own cable line) network. I'm not on my cell phone or anything.

Trippy.

Because of you IP Address man. Look every ip address also has a physical address. Most ISP's use a dynamic addressing system but you are more or less locked to that ip address if you are using a modem because it never shuts off. It uses that information to locate you and place the map where you need it to be. Now wierd would be if it gave you the city your going to be in tomorrow.

Gatekeeper 06-21-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 303920)
Because of you IP Address man. Look every ip address also has a physical address. Most ISP's use a dynamic addressing system but you are more or less locked to that ip address if you are using a modem because it never shuts off. It uses that information to locate you and place the map where you need it to be. Now wierd would be if it gave you the city your going to be in tomorrow.

Mine came up Washington, DC near Arlington. I'm on 3g wireless so that must be where the wireless hub is I guess???
I'm Ninja Stealthy LOL

That site looks like it could be very useful, especially on those long Griswald-esque road trips with the whole family.

DrumJunkie 06-21-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 303714)

Trippy.

It uses your IP to take you to a map in that area. There are ways to stop that kind of thing but most don't find it necessary. Your IP is like an address. I proxy my IP depending what I"m doing but that's another thread. :)
AS stated a dynamic IP changes from time to time but your ISP will draw from a pool of available IP numbers that are for your particular area. Businesses and people that wish to pay for it can get a static IP that stays the same. MNost cable subscribers can stay on one IP for a long period of time. DSL seems to refresh IP's more often. Dial up people get a new IP every log on. People that have static IP or one that does not change often can be at a higher security risk being little trolls with too much free time might find them in a port sweep in a range of IP numbers. Security software and/or a router with a hardware firewall come in really handy in these cases. You would be surprised just how many are looking around for an open machine to use for whatever fun they deem interesting.

orangello 06-21-2010 02:52 PM

Thanks! I will be keeping this handy.