Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The very first time I shot a firearm,do you remember yours?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default The very first time I shot a firearm,do you remember yours?

Well, I remember expressing an interest in shooting to my 6th grade teacher. He only lived a couple of miles from my folks farm, and knew where we lived. He talked to my parents and agreed that they would let me shoot. I had a blast. I really don't remember the specific model or brand but it was a 22 long rifle. That even inspired me more to get into shooting. So.the day I turned 18 I went a put my first firearm on layaway paying for it gradually,cash wash and is still hard to come.Funny how some things never change even if you get older. I have enjoyed shooting for over 45 years, when taught properly. Shooting can be a heritage of fun, respect and memories. Don't let the politicians deprive any one of the opportunity. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1137 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I was 13 and a friend of mine's father had a 1911 .45, a German 9 mm luger and a German infantryman's rifle that he brought home from Europe after WWII. I have no clue how. This was about 1961, and he took us out into the back yard and taught us to shoot. The first time I shot the .45 I used one hand as I was shown, pointed at the target and pulled the trigger. Knocked me right on my a$$. My friend's Dad asked me if I was okay, and if I wanted to shoot it again. I enthusiastically responded yes to both.

As a 5'9" 100 lb 13 year old, I did take a somewhat different stance the next shot. Knew I liked it right away. Hasn't changed one bit.

I did fix that 5'9" 100 lb issue though! At 6'2" 250, none of the handguns I shoot knock me over anymore.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 840 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I was about 7 years old and out in the woods with my brother, I remember my brother letting me shoot his 22 rifle.
I held it up and closed my eyes when I pulled the trigger. LOL, I don't know why.

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

I was around 10 years old, on vacation visiting my step-grandfather in the mountains of WV. I do not recall the rifle, but it was a semi auto .22, also a 20ga single shot shotgun. I had a blast learning to shoot at empty soda cans and cigarette boxes. I still have a couple of the cans, boxes, and spent casings as souvenirs

Old 03-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

I was 17 and a buddy of mine had a .30 cal carbine

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1137 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Actually I believe I lied. My cousin had a single shot 22 rifle, which was 30 years old then. We used to sneak it into the woods from when I was about 8 and go shoot. Our Grandmother had a summer house in Browns Mills, NJ, which was pine forest in the 50s, outside of Fort Dix. We had a blast with that gun. Lucky we never shot each other. I had it for about ten years, and now he has it back. The rifle is about 86 years old.

We were not aloud to shoot without adult supervision, but since they never wanted to shoot, we snuck it out all the time.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #7

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I was 8 years old. My stepfather took me out to the woods to shoot his 1911 style Llama 380. It had 7 in the mag. He took 6 shots. He was trying to hit a pop can. He missed all six times. He gave it to me. I took one shot and hit the can. We got in the car and went home. He never took me shooting again. I am not sure if I embarassed him. Or perhaps I did something unsafe. Again I was 8. I remember that we did not use hearing protection. My ears rang all day.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The first time was only a few years ago (hmmm...2006?) at a concealed carry class with a shooting component geared toward new shooters. My wife was with me and it was her first experience, too. We even had to borrow the instructor's guns!

The other 7 or so in the class were shooting next to us. It was: Load 1 round! Ready! Commence firing! ...and WOW, that was a more viscerally exciting experience than any roller coaster I'd been on. Amazing how I could feel the other shots around me deep within my body.

The instructor just used blank pieces of paper, too. He just wanted us to hit the paper, not focus on an X-ring or something.

Awesome!!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #9

Liked 286 Times on 193 Posts

I was 13 or 14. Found a .22 revolver in my dad's drawer. First gun i ever touched...let alone load, shoot....and attempt to clean so i didn't get busted. Dad wasn't a gun guy and never took me shooting.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was 8 years old. Daddy had just bought an H&R .22 revolver at the hardware store in town (see how long ago that was!). On our next monthly visit to my grandparent's farm, he and all my uncles and a few aunts, went down behind the barn and set up some hay bales with targets. The gun was so heavy that I couldn't hold it with both hands but he squatted down behind me and helped me hold it up to shoot! I was hooked from then on! I still have that gun (momma gave it to me when daddy passed). I have the original box and such that it came in. He paid $49.95 for it (the sticker is still on the box). I still take it to the range with me and shoot it on occasion!