You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Vents open! Five worst business practices in firearm retail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6333 Times on 4168 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

Default Vents open! Five worst business practices in firearm retail

#5.... A padlock on every trigger. No, they won't take it off until you pay. (Rural King is one)

#4.... Handguns displayed in a glass case with the muzzles toward you. You may not see the sight picture without asking for help

#3.... Charging a fee for credit cards. The last retail industry to do this

#2.... Luring the customer online with a low listed price, then trying to charge a ridiculous sum for shipping. (Cheaper Than Dirt is notorious)

And the #1 loser is.... Drum roll..... Charging immediately for an out-of-stock item, on indefinite backorder, without telling you

......Deep cleansing breath.... Ahhhhhhh....
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2401 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
#5.... A padlock on every trigger. No, they won't take it off until you pay. (Rural King is one)

#4.... Handguns displayed in a glass case with the muzzles toward you. You may not see the sight picture without asking for help

#2.... Luring the customer online with a low listed price, then trying to charge a ridiculous sum for shipping. (Cheaper Than Dirt is notorious)

And the #1 loser is.... Drum roll..... Charging immediately for an out-of-stock item, on indefinite backorder, without telling you

YEP!!! especially #2 $35.00 for a magazine and $40.00 for shipping
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15849 Times on 6585 Posts
Likes Given: 2579

Pricetag attached to the trigger guard of a handgun in a case. With the gun laying ON TOP of the pricetag.

(Left my Xray vision at home today....)
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Liked 5154 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 8569

Quote:

#5... may be a store policy or state regulations on the trigger guard. WalMart has, or did have a store policy of the employee walking the purchased rifle out to the customers vehicle after it was paid for.

#4...pistols in the cases are usually displayed for the best presentation to potential customers. if i'm interested in particular pistol, I am sure going to ask to see it, and handle it.

#3...most all business' charge a fee for using a credit card. simply because they are being charged by the credit card companies to use their equipment for customers to use them for buying merchandise. any business that wants to stay in business needs to recoup their expenses. a little here and there starts to add up over time in lost revenue. just smart business practices.

#2...well, that's nothing new! the old bait and switch! car dealers have been doing it for years. they still do it. check the car dealer ads in the newspaper on Sunday mornings. then go to the dealership and you won't find hide nor hair of that cheaply priced new vehicle on their lot. and some less than stellar ammo or gun dealers, are probably learning the same trick. best course of action? avoid and refuse to do business with them, and tell others as well.

#1...not me! if it's not in stock, or is on backorder, then I am not purchasing. if they charge me and then tell me, I will have them do an instant refund and do business elsewhere. I deal with a very reputable gun dealer that has been in business for over 40 years and treats customers right. if he doesn't have a particular gun in stock I want, (different caliber, or stock, or finish than what's in stock.) I don't pay for it until he has the gun in his store, however long that takes. and I have waited a couple of times well over three months for a particular gun I ordered from him. again, if this is regular business practice for a place you're shopping, then it's time to find someone else to do business with.

my gun dealer is an authorized dealer for many, many different brands of guns and will order just about anything in guns or gun related items that I want. he does stock a lot of guns as well carrying used guns he has bought and used guns on consignment, and I realize he can't carry everything in his store. but he gives great customer service, has reasonable prices, (usually at 15-25% under MSRP on most new guns.) and a nice guy all around, and is pretty knowledgeable about guns and such. I have been doing business with him for over ten years and do probably about 90% of my purchasing there.
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 10451 Times on 5151 Posts
Likes Given: 40019

We got a pretty darn good place up here in Shipinville Pa . ! Very friendly , knowledgeable and fair , no complaints !

Yeah ,(Route 66 sporting goods ) ....!
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14064 Times on 7173 Posts
Likes Given: 13407

The most irritating to me, whether at a LGS ir a gunshow, is a gun with no price tag at At all. I make it popint to pick up a gun and look it over until I have the dealer's attention.

Then when he starts the sales pitch, I just say:

"Sorry, I don't do business with anyone who is so dishonest that he's ashamed to put a price tag on his merchandise."

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #7

I quit doing business with the big chain stores many years ago. I just don't care for their attitudes and how they treat some customers. many of the sales people don't even have the first clue about guns or ammunition or the products they sell for hunting or reloading.

many times they do have lower prices, but lack of proper customer service and general courtesy when dealing with people makes the lower price unattractive to me. enough that i'm willing to spend a little more for good service and people who actually know a thing or two about guns and gun related things.

for mail order or internet sales, I use Midwayusa, Mid South Shooters Supply, or Brownells. simply because all three have great customer service and don't rake you over the coals on shipping, along with having pretty decent shipping times.

business rule of thumb. a low price may attract a customer, but great customer service will make them a repeat customer.
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
Forum Chaplain

Liked 2401 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1729

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post

#2...well, that's nothing new! the old bait and switch! car dealers have been doing it for years. they still do it. check the car dealer ads in the newspaper on Sunday mornings. then go to the dealership and you won't find hide nor hair of that cheaply priced new vehicle on their lot. and some less than stellar ammo or gun dealers, are probably learning the same trick. best course of action? avoid and refuse to do business with them, and tell others as well.
me! if it's not in stock, or is on backorder, then I am not purchasing. if they charge me and then tell me, I will have them do an instant refund and do business elsewhere. I deal with a very reputable gun dealer that has been in business for over 40 years and treats customers

right. if he doesn't have a particular gun in stock I want, (different caliber, or stock, or finish than what's in stock.) I don't pay for it until he has the gun in his store, however long that takes. and I have waited a couple of times well over three months for a particular gun I ordered from him. again, if this is regular business practice for a place you're shopping, then it's time to find someone else to do business with.

my gun dealer is an authorized dealer for many, many different brands of guns and will order just about anything in guns or gun related items that I want. he does stock a lot of guns as well carrying used guns he has bought and used guns on consignment, and I realize he can't carry everything in his store. but he gives great customer service, has reasonable prices, (usually at 15-25% under MSRP on most new guns.) and a nice guy all around, and is pretty knowledgeable about guns and such. I have been doing business with him for over ten years and do probably about 90% of my purchasing there.
I have not seen a bait and switch in firearm sales ( NOT to say it can't or won't happen)
BUT the making the shipping for a 5 Oz. item that is NOT hazardous at $40.00

It could be Flat Rate boxed at $6.80 at Post Office (retail & online) Outside:
8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4"
Inside:
8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8"
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Last edited by artbrownsr; 08-07-2016 at 06:46 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
I have not seen a bait and switch in firearm sales ( NOT to say it can't or won't happen)
BUT the making the shipping for a 5 Oz. item that is NOT hazardous at $40.00
Gander Mountain use to be bad about the bait and switch years ago. i'd get sales paper in the mail on a Friday or Saturday, the sale would be good for about a month, then drive over to the closest store, and lo and behold, they wouldn't have the gun in stock that was on sale, and try and sell a more expensive gun in it's place.

that is why I won't deal with Cheaper Than Dirt! their shipping costs are outrageous. also CTD has multiple warehouses they ship from and will double the shipping costs if they ship your order if it was coming from different warehouses. I ordered from them years ago, and I thought the shipping cost was about $20. well there were multiple items on my order, and they filled that order from different warehouses and when I finally got my shipment, they had charged me over $45 for shipping costs. I complained about the billing, but it fell on deaf ears. so I refuse to do business with them from then on.

there are too many places that treat customers right to put up with that type of nonsense.
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Liked 4682 Times on 2569 Posts
Likes Given: 3346

1. Showing or implying an item is included with the purchase, when it is not.

2. Refusing to clearly detail or show what is included with the purchase.

3. Not checking to see if a gun in the case is clear before handing it to you. At what
point did someone arbitrarily decide to alter the laws of physics, and gun safety, at retail sales?

4. Gotta agree with C3 about the price-tag thing, they could save themselves a lot of time
if they would take the half a second to display information everybody wants to know.

5. Wise-ass responses. Hey buddy, go to the monumental effort it would take to get your
ignorant ass married, then go run that attitude past your wife. (One would think clerks would
not only know better, but also be trying to build a customer base.)

Last edited by therewolf; 08-07-2016 at 07:13 PM.
People Like This