Vehicle tires situation need assistance

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Vehicle tires situation need assistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1962 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 4150

Default Vehicle tires situation need assistance

This happened on the wife's van.

I Oct 2010 replaced the van with Yokohama AVID Touring-S 205/70R15 tires at 73K mileage on vehicle. Always, ensured they were rotated and balanced. Last year around June, noticed the lower side wall cracking near the rim area on all 4 tires. Estimated mileage on vehicle was about 89K or 90K. Tires mileage at or near 20K for less than 3 years.

I took vehicle to discount tire, lucky for the warranty on the tires. They replaced them all.

I am posting a couple pictures of the side wall cracking:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My vehicles has the same brand, size is different 205/60R16; but, have been issues with tires balance the last year. They correct it and still same thing. The just balanced the tires in January this year, at speed over 62 mph and you feel it. Now it is running 55 mph or higher, you can feel it.

I did a closer look at my vehicle and sure enough is it happening on the from and small cracks forming on the back.

Yokohama had a recall on the AVID Touring-S for only 215/65R16 manufactured from Feb 2009 to April 2009. The recalled happened in September 2012. Reading the pdf, has the same pattern.

I am going to the tire place in the morning. I will address the issue; but, should this be elevated to NTHSA folks, granted the sky will have to fall before they press the issue. I will also contact Yokohama directly on the matter.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 964 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Most tires have about a 6 year life till they deteriorate. If your tires had been sitting on the tire racks of your dealer for a few years, and were installed as new tires, then they would not last as long as usual on the car.

This sounds to me like what happen to your tires.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Most tires have about a 6 year life till they deteriorate. If your tires had been sitting on the tire racks of your dealer for a few years, and were installed as new tires, then they would not last as long as usual on the car.

This sounds to me like what happen to your tires.
The first set Yokohama did not have time to sit on the rack at all, maybe a month or 2 at the most. Not sure about the second set on her van, will check on the date.

My vehicle, the tires were installed on 6 Jan 2012 and the manufacturing date of all 4 tires: CC20-8105211 Made in the 52 week of 2011.

The tires had 1 month rack time.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Update on the vehicle, discount tire will monitor the tires, annotated in their system. If I gets worst will be replaced.

Now the nasty bugger causing the vibration was left from rim, bent on the inside. Order a replacement.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 905 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 202

NHTSA is a great resource. If people fail to report problems, then it never gets known. I always recommend that ALL safety issues get reported to NHTSA.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
NHTSA is a great resource. If people fail to report problems, then it never gets known. I always recommend that ALL safety issues get reported to NHTSA.
I have used them in the past. The tires that were bad on the wife's Sedona was actually package up and returned to Yokohama for going over. The tires were less than 2 years and 8 months old. That was last year, not sure if anything will happen. Would not be surprised that Yokohama does an internal evaluation on the tires to what caused the lower side wall damage.