vehicle maintenance - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

vehicle maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Do it yourself, or accept being ripped off.

Flushing a tranny IS NOT changing the filter, AND THERE

IS A DIFFERENCE.

Oil changes? Synthetic oil. Change the filter every 6K, and at 24K

do the oil and filter.

I have found very few mechanics I can trust.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #22
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2109 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 4544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Dealers are mostly liars and thieves. I just sold my 1982 Chevy Blazer. I just decided it was time to get something a little newer. I have bought 2 new cars in my life. Both were Kia. I will never buy another Kia by the way.

The dealer told us to bring the car in every 3000 miles to have the oil changed. I read the owners manual when I got home. It said that the oil should be changed every 7500 miles! I told the dealer. He said, "We don't recommend that." Well that is what the manufacturer recommends. I will listen to them first. I have had dealers try to get me to let them replace an air filter that is already new. I have had them tell me that brakes are bad when they are not. I took my wife's minivan in for an alignment. The mechanic put in writing that all 4 of the CV joint boots were torn and all the joints needed to be replaced. He didn't know that I am a qualified mechaninc. I don't pay big bucks for stuff I can do myself. So I got home and crawled under the van to see if it really need to be done right then. I was hoping to put it off for a couple months. When I looked under the van none of the boots were torn. The guy just totally lied about it. I called the dealer and told them. They said they would stand by the mechanics opinion. What? Your joking?

If you are talking about those services on that list...most of those costs are labor. If you are qualified to do them yourself, I would set aside a weekend and do it. Then take the Grand you saved and go buy a nice gun!
I have KIA Sedona and Rondo. We had some problem's with the Sedona regarding A/C, purchased the van used. Dealer wanted to fix it then, wife did not like A/C. A/C required fixing when the compressor pulley decided to scream! I tried to tell her, go get it fixed! The other was the coolant leak damaged the Crankshaft Position Sensor, I smelled coolant prior to it. Dealer said the coolant cleanup was nasty, well after new sensor, pump, timing belt and drive belt. We had to have the radiator replaced with hoses, etc.

The Rondo has some repairs, all under warranty work. I had front wheel bearing noise, one vehicle tech could not hear it, another gets in the passenger seat and he listened and sure enough, new wheel bearings were ordered.

I usually do the oil/filter changes on both vehicles and other preventive maintenance as well. I need to take the Sedona in for a transmission flush, at the 105,000 mile. I can do the Rondo's transmission fluid change.

If a dealership lies, then I go to another certified dealer.

I like my KIA dealership, I would buy another KIA new or used, if need arises.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #23

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Same thing happens here in Australia with dealerships ripping off customers with the same BS.
I'm a mechanic by trade and do most of my own oil changes and work where I can on my Landcruiser and the son's ute.
The wife and daughter have Hyundai's that are under warranty for 8 years but don't need servicing until every 15,000 klms so I let the Ford dealership do them but they do a fair job.

In regards to oil changes I always replace the oil filters at the same time filters are cheaper than engines especially diesels.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #24

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

It is Portsmouth ford in NH. I'm going to do some of the stuff myself. Thanks guys