vehicle maintenance
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > vehicle maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Default vehicle maintenance

I drive a 2010 f150 4x4 and I don't do my own maintenance. I usually go to the dealer. Its not that I don't know how its a time thing. So I got the pricing for a 30k mile service and a 60k mile service. I will post the pics. Can you guys tell me if this stuff is really necessary at these mileages??? The 60k mile service price made me choke on my coffee.

forumrunner_20140118_084954.jpg

forumrunner_20140118_085010.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3273 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Take a look at the owner's manual and compare that to what the dealer recommends.

Who made the vehicle? The dealership or the manufacturer?

Dealers have a way of adding things above what is recommended by the manufacturer.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Liked 489 Times on 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I drive a 2010 f150 4x4 and I don't do my own maintenance. I usually go to the dealer. Its not that I don't know how its a time thing. So I got the pricing for a 30k mile service and a 60k mile service. I will post the pics. Can you guys tell me if this stuff is really necessary at these mileages??? The 60k mile service price made me choke on my coffee.
Seems legit to me except for a few of the items. I dont think the brake bleeding or differential service is necessary unless the truck is driven hard up to that mileage. If it's a highway truck and you're easy on the breaks, then you should be good to go for a little while. My last truck was a ford and the thing cost me a fortune in maintenance. The Toyota I have now has only had tires, brake pads, and an oil changes and it's got 70k on it now. Like I said a lot of that depends on how hard the truck is driven.The transmission service looks to be below average. My mechanic charges $179 for that service. I drive a Toyota Tacoma so the maintenance schedule is a little lighter than a ford, but it looks mostly the same. Id at least do the belts and a tranny fluid change at 60-70k miles. Like the other member said, check your owners manual and match its maintenance schedule up to what the dealer wants to do. Dealership pricing is almost always higher than a good local mechanic. Plus they try to rip you off by making you think you NEED all this stuff done NOW. Sticking to a maintenance schedule that the factory suggests is not always cheap, but it helps avoid more costlier repairs in the long run. Best of luck.

Last edited by FernandoTheCommando; 01-18-2014 at 02:18 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3452 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 2313

Take out all of the BG listed services, except for the trans. service, and it looks about right.

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1189 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 241

No, it's mostly BS ripoff.

do the oil changes yourself. Go with high quality synthetic. Latest recommendations are to extend the oil changes to 10k. I change the filter at 5k.

Alignment, you'll know if it needs alignment, either in the way it drives, or unusual tire wear.

Tire rotation, at every oil change

Learn to inspect your brake pads. I can't count the number of times a dealership has told me the brakes are at immenient failure... 30,000 miles later I change them myself. That's a bit more advanced, but not that hard.

Transmission, that's as easy as changing the engine oil. Find out how much the pan drain holds, that's how much you need to replace it with. Be aware that some transmissions require a friction modifier. You will not get a complete change with this procedure, as the torque convertor doesn't get drained, but that is seldom done anyway. Also, many vehicles no longer come with a transmission dip stick, forcing you back to the dealer or specialty shop.

Read the owners manual, it will tell you the recommended maintenance schedule

Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

Liked 2433 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 551

As said above, take of the BG services and let a different mechanic do those if you wish. Should cost significantly less.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 489 Times on 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
No, it's mostly BS ripoff.

do the oil changes yourself. Go with high quality synthetic. Latest recommendations are to extend the oil changes to 10k. I change the filter at 5k.

Alignment, you'll know if it needs alignment, either in the way it drives, or unusual tire wear.

Tire rotation, at every oil change

Learn to inspect your brake pads. I can't count the number of times a dealership has told me the brakes are at immenient failure... 30,000 miles later I change them myself. That's a bit more advanced, but not that hard.

Transmission, that's as easy as changing the engine oil. Find out how much the pan drain holds, that's how much you need to replace it with. Be aware that some transmissions require a friction modifier. You will not get a complete change with this procedure, as the torque convertor doesn't get drained, but that is seldom done anyway. Also, many vehicles no longer come with a transmission dip stick, forcing you back to the dealer or specialty shop.

Read the owners manual, it will tell you the recommended maintenance schedule
Most of it is a rip off, yes. But changing the transmission fluid is not the same doing it yourself as if a shop does it. They use a machine to completely flush the fluid out. Doing it yourself by draining the pan can leave deposits behind that would be removed during a mechanics transmission service.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3197 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 413

BG...BS whatever. OEM and normal over the counter fluids will meet warranty requirements. Them BG products are some pricey liquids. Even if one believes in "additives," Drive down to Auto Zone or NAPA and get them yourself. It's always been my opinion that the stuff the factory prescribes is fine for most people. If you are someone who is hard on their vehicle, spring for the better synthetics, but skip the mystic additives.

From page 6 of the Scheduled Maintenance Guide:

Quote:
Chemicals and Additives Non-Ford approved chemicals or additives are not required for factory recommended maintenance. In fact, Ford Motor Company recommends against the use of such additive products unless specifically recommended by Ford for a particular application. Your vehicle is very sophisticated and built with multiple complex performance systems. Every manufacturer develops these systems using different specifications and performance features. That’s why it’s important to rely on your Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership to properly diagnose and repair your vehicle.
Even if BG stuff is "Ford approved," it's not necessary. It's certainly not "required."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10frdmg2e.pdf

Notice in the factory list it uses the term "inspect" over the term "service" on a bunch of items? There's a reason for that. For instance, Your brakes require an inspection. However they may not require any work whatsoever if you do a crap load of highway driving. If they require work, that's a separate job. And FWIW, it's been my observation that brakes on pickups tend to be overbuilt and last a long time.

Find a new dealer who isn't padding the bill. They are out there. I take my Dodge to the dealer here because they are competitive with the Jiffy lubes and such. Your dealer is from the bad old days.
On a side note: You may wish to ask whether the BG services come with something resembling KY for the owner.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, those little reminder stickers they put on your windshield are not legally binding. It's been my observation that EVERY service bay uses 3000 mile intervals on those things. You're only bound by the requirements in the manual for your vehicle, which are in most cases are far more than 3K miles. While not technically a scam, a 3K oil drain interval is just pissing away money unnecessarily for most drivers.
snippet-ford-f-150.jpg   snippet-f150_2.jpg  
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1424 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

You got took !................

When all else fails.

dango Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8149 Times on 4875 Posts
Likes Given: 10508

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Take out all of the BG listed services, except for the trans. service, and it looks about right.

What does BG mean?
dango Likes This