Vehicle loan and payment reduction? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Vehicle loan and payment reduction?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 699 Times on 361 Posts

Ok, with 10+ years experience in auto sales (not motorcycle), let me give a little advice. Admittedly I know nothing about bikes, accept their value tanks faster than a cars!!! So last year you bought a bike for 14k which now has a retail value of 9k, which means after reconditioning, trade in value is 6k... unfortunately you owe 10k. No problem, now you want a nicer bike for only 17k. Great, assuming your credit has improved we can help =). So this new bike is 17k, you have 4k negative equity, add tax and you can finance only 22k!!! Don't worry, I'm sure they will have some great financing options, that and your excitement over a new bike you won't mind the extra 200 month payment. Now don't forget this 17k bike that you owe 22k on the minute you ride off the dealership is now worth 12k, meaning if you lay it down insurance covers that leaving you with a bill of 10k, you do have an extra 10k in your checking account right?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #32

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop
Ok, with 10+ years experience in auto sales (not motorcycle), let me give a little advice. Admittedly I know nothing about bikes, accept their value tanks faster than a cars!!! So last year you bought a bike for 14k which now has a retail value of 9k, which means after reconditioning, trade in value is 6k... unfortunately you owe 10k. No problem, now you want a nicer bike for only 17k. Great, assuming your credit has improved we can help =). So this new bike is 17k, you have 4k negative equity, add tax and you can finance only 22k!!! Don't worry, I'm sure they will have some great financing options, that and your excitement over a new bike you won't mind the extra 200 month payment. Now don't forget this 17k bike that you owe 22k on the minute you ride off the dealership is now worth 12k, meaning if you lay it down insurance covers that leaving you with a bill of 10k, you do have an extra 10k in your checking account right?
So pretty much I'm F'd until I have no negative equity in this bike?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

So pretty much I'm F'd until I have no negative equity in this bike?
Not at all, just enjoy the nice bike you already have for a couple years, save some money in the meantime and then, in a couple years buy what you really want!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #34
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 962 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Debt is slavery. Some debt is ok. Braces on teeth. Many dentists will allow you to do payments while the braces are on.

College? Not bad debt if your goals are clear and you have several campus jobs to help out.

Home loan? Tax deductible, home goes up in value, need a place to sleep. Yes, home loan is a good idea.

Vehicle loan, motorcycle loan to boot?

All around bad idea, on many levels.

Study the lives of rich people if you hope to follow them.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #35
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

My niece is married to a "crotch rocket" rider.

I (being the good uncle) give him a good heckling when I can ride mine for three hours straight (with a fusion in my spine), and he has to stop every hour to "stretch" his legs from being cramped on his razor.

Now he understands why I appriceiate the Triumph America with its 800cc motor (the larger one was not out yet when I purchased mine).
And mine cost less when new with the goodies thrown in.

Some bikes are good for racing, but for everyday use? Nope!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #36

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

I (being the good uncle) give him a good heckling when I can ride mine for three hours straight (with a fusion in my spine), and he has to stop every hour to "stretch" his legs from being cramped on his razor.

Now he understands why I appriceiate the Triumph America with its 800cc motor (the larger one was not out yet when I purchased mine).

My everyday use is 20 miles to work and back, school and just around town. I've taken one "road trip" that was an hour away to see a friend (hot girl) and it wasn't too bad. I just can't see myself, persona wise, on a cruiser. My dad loves them, I like my rice burners haha

Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I thought the same thing when I was younger.

Today I know that image is not as important as comfort and convenience.

(The wife gets pi$$ed when I want to wear jeans and t-shirt to one of her "formal" outings like a wedding or funeral)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #38
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I came across this. It may be interesting to you:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/11-financial-lessons-avoid-learning-130718393.html

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2841 Times on 1411 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

You have to take a spin on a Thunderbird when you get the chance. It's on a whole different level compared to the Triumph retro twins series. I traded my T-100 in for it. I was never a cruiser guy before.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #40
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Shag, I'm not going to tell you not to ride a bike. I am a speed/power junkie as well, and we should all be able to feed our desires.

What I can tell you is: Debt kills.

When I was younger, every dealership and salesman was soooo helpful! They would give me great rates, tell me what a "deal" I was making - yeah. I was paying off their stuff by running myself into the poor house and possible bankruptcy, at which point you can no longer finance anything, not even a house.

Then I read a book and went on a financial diet. For several months I bought nothing except necessities. I had a 10% automatic deduction taken from my check and deposited to a savings account. I learned to live on the lesser check and ignore the savings. In 10 months I bought my Honda...cash. Two years later I bought a house...20% down in cash. Recently, a motor home on Craigslist caught my eye and I purchased it...cash. All were used, and a great deal.

I own my possessions. They do not own me. It is very un-American to live debt-free. It also morally responsible and the easiest way to live owing nothing but a very affordable mortgage payment. Solve this problem however you like, but consider being happier with what you have and making money instead of owing it.

"Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you have."

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.
People Like This