Vehicle loan and payment reduction?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Vehicle loan and payment reduction?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have a loan out on my motorcycle for the next 4 years that I've been paying on for a year this September. Now I love my bike but I want to upgrade to a larger one (1000cc). What I have is a 2012 Yamaha FZ6r and I'm wanting a Aprilia RSV4. Ive been thinking of just trading it in as pretty much a down payment plus a little bit. The Aprilia is 14k and I have about 10k left on my bike now. Would it be wise to go ahead and sell it or trade it in or wait a until February/March time frame? I was planning on trading it in this winter if its a decent idea

Last edited by ShagNasty1001; 07-14-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Trading in is the most convenient but you'd probably get more for it selling it.

Real dogs drool!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

you're going to take a huge (percentage wise) financial hit.

Real important question to ask yourself, do you "need" the new bike?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo
Trading in is the most convenient but you'd probably get more for it selling it.
That's what I was thinking. I was just wanting to know if I'd be able to lower my payment. If I sell it private party, would part of my loan still transfer over?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
you're going to take a huge (percentage wise) financial hit.

Real important question to ask yourself, do you "need" the new bike?
Yeah I know I'd be taking a hit on my bike if I did it...say tomorrow. Wouldn't what's left of my loan "transfer" over though? Like say I owe 8000 with 3 years left and the one I want is 10,000. I trade it in and get 4000 for mine. I use that as a down payment. Would the other 4,000 I'd owe on my previous bike just move over to the new one to make it whatever the new price of 6k and just get an extension on the loan or whatever that process would be? Is that possible?

Last edited by ShagNasty1001; 07-14-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #6

Liked 45 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Unless thus it's your primary means of transport, don't due it.

Trade in suck, they don't give much, just because you can sell the bike for X doesn't mean they well give you that, secondly, I've seen where they don't actually pay off the first loan they just lower the cost of the new bike and tack on more interest.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2877 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I have a loan out on my motorcycle for the next 4 years that I've been paying on for a year this September. Now I love my bike but I want to upgrade to a larger one (1000cc). What I have is a 2012 Yamaha FZ6r and I'm wanting a Aprilia RSV4. Ive been thinking of just trading it in as pretty much a down payment plus a little bit. The Aprilia is 14k and I have about 10k left on my bike now. Would it be wise to go ahead and sell it or trade it in or wait a until February/March time frame? I was planning on trading it in this winter if its a decent idea
Correct me if I'm wrong:
You still owe $10K on a $7600 bike? Am I reading that correctly?
You then wish to go deeper in the hole on a $14K bike (+ tax, license & registration.)
IMHO: If you're upside down on Bike 1 and you don't have the cash to at least get even, then you can't afford bike 2. These are toys. One should not risk creating a deep financial hole over toys.
Best way forward:
Sell Bike one in March private party so you can max out the return. Additionally, get up far enough on the loan so you aren't upside down when you do sell it, or trade it (should it come to that.) Get square before going to the Aprilia dealer. Having a cash down payment would be awesome.
On a side note: Have you checked into maintenance costs? I guarantee that an Aprilia is going to cost noticeably more to get serviced/maintained than a Yamaha. (Italian exotic vs. UJM.) Triumph is bad enough (one dealer in UT), I can't imagine an Aprilia (last I checked, they have 0 UT dealers.) I get it though, I had a thing for Caponords at one point.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-14-2013 at 09:39 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #8

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Check the insurance on the big bike, it may be a deal breaker. You have a nice already and plenty fast enough. Are you going for more cool points with the buddies?

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You are under water as they say. A dealer has to be willing to pay off your existing loan if he trades for yours. If you do not understand the delima you are considering get some good financial advise.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

It is a good feeling to be out of debt.

The only reason I have a car payment is to keep something on the credit score.

IMO, (with exception of buying a house) one should not take on debt larger than what is in savings. Unseen circumstances dictate that should one need to liquidate in a hurry, then you could.

Make another payment (the same as what you are currently paying) to your savings account each month. Then when you need a loan, get the loan from your savings account. I would rather pay interest to myself than a bank or credit union.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This