Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Vandalism on our home, I could use your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Vandalism on our home, I could use your help

Over the past month our home has been vandalized numerous times. It started with ding dong ditch, then rocks getting thrown at our door, then numerous eggings on our home and cars. We've gotten egged about 8 times now in the past few weeks and now tonight they decided to pour a gallon of rotten milk all over our porch. They also wrote "U SUCK" on our sidewalk.

We live in a bad neighborhood, the ghetto if you will, with some shady individuals in the surrounding homes. It's gotten so bad that we've decided to move and rent elsewhere.

Anyway, my question is, if I was to catch these vandalizers, what could I do to them legally? I wanted to camp out with a paintball gun but was told that paintballing someone is considered assault, is this true?

I know revenge isn't the best answer, but I'm pretty sure calling the police won't do much considering we have no strong leads on who is doing this. Before we move I'm gonna find out who's doing this and at least scare the crap out of them or something.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by indyfan; 09-13-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If your sprinkler system should just so happen to cut on whenever someone trespasses on your property, the punks might look for an easier target somewhere else.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Turn the other cheek boss. Is something that can be fixed by a water hose worth jail time? Never mind the possibility of escalation. These young bulls get crazier every year.

Realisticly though, a camera could help.

Edit: motion sensor sprinklers at night is great!

Something witty belongs here....

Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2609 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

If you post "No Trespassing" signs, you will only escalate the problem.

Cameras, motion detectors, and dogs. Also ask for increased patrols.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1597 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Motion detector triggered camera(s) might prove useful.

It sounds like it’s a reoccurring situation. Does it happen weekly? Every few months? Have you ‘documented’ the vandalism with photos and a daily newspaper?

Does it happen at night? Are cars parked on the street? Could you spend some time at night in your car with a camera, no flash, Bring a pen to write down plate numbers in case you can't get it on the pictures. Deliver pix & plate number to the police.

Basic investigation & surveillance practices.

Failing that, if you can identify who and know where they live, leaving a still photo of the horsehead scene from ‘The Godfather’ at their door might prove a deterrent. Maybe not.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1332 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 986

If you get any ideas of retaliation, however mild, (unless of course it's a legit act of self-defense), try to cool down. Problem is, the angy citizen usually ends up in jail and the POS never gets caught or ends up suing.

Seems like the perps in your case are young...older ones wouldn't have to use their mom's eggs for ammo. Years ago I had vandals pour paint remover all over my car. Be glad it hasn't come to that.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

About all you can do is record a video of them vandalizing your property then turn it over to the cops. That probably won't do much except escalate the issue. Your best bet is to move. Any action you take against them, however reasonable it might seem, would probably get you charged with a crime.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6635 Times on 4014 Posts
Likes Given: 7875

I agree with motion cameras. The police won't watch your house more closely? I know in my town the police would be all over this.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Use some cameras to both get evidence and find out what time they keep coming. If you want revenge, get some 12 ga bean bag ammo, hide in the bushes, and get them in the gut (chest/head is dangerous) after a few minutes of rolling around on the ground trying to catch they're breath, They'll probably run for it. And they'll have a nice large bruise the next day. (I am not sure how legal this is but it would be really funny to watch) Or you could probaly just walk out your front door and point a 12 ga at them. That would either scare them off or depending on how bad they are, they may come back with guns. (they just sound like neighborhood punks, not gang members) That would give you plenty of reason to decrease your neighborhood population.

Maybe the best solution would be to move to a nicer neighborhood. Did anything happen to make them pick your house to vandalize (even something stupid like telling them to knock something off) or was it randomly picked?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It sounds like kids. I wouldn't try the revenge thing. Get some video of them & ask their parents/guardians if they like lawsuits or if they would prefer to make the kids clean everything up and keep a better eye on them. Remind them of the low burden of proof in civil court and that a judgement can become a garnishment pretty easily. If they don't work, ask how much of an income tax return they will be giving you next year.

For you, moving will solve this problem, but it will just make things worse for the neighborhood and the juvenile delinquents in the longer run. If the neighborhood is already beyond hope, then bail.

I would be curious as to what got this started.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.