Valued Customer???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Valued Customer???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Valued Customer???

So I've been frequenting this gun store here since I move back in 2007. Probably purchased well over a dozen guns from them during that time, not to mention ammo, accessories and time at the range they own. I like the people, but lately I've been bothered by some things.

1. Their selection sucks! They stock any Glock, Taurus, DPMS, Charter Arms, Bersa, etc. you'll ever want, but looking for a Smith, forget it. They DO have some Kimber's, XDs and Rugers, BUT the prices are ridiculous!!! Example: almost $600 for a 4" GP100. AKs that I can order online for ~$375 are tagged @ $495!!! I can see a bit of a markup, but DAMN!

2. They refuse to barter with me any longer. I have never been pushy, period, but due to the volume I was taking outta there (small place too) they would usually give me the member tag price "out the door" rather than run it up after tax. And if I bought multiple firearms at once they'd knock an additional 10% off.

3. I witnessed them taking in an AR for a trade. I was lingering towards the back where other inventory is located, waiting for the desk to clear. This fellow brought in a decent AR from an adequate maker in exchange for a hunting rifle. They gave him $375 towards his trade! The guy didn't seemed bothered, but when I asked how much they'd take they quoted me about $100 short of double that!

Used Henry and Rossi lever guns for over $500!!!

I think if you are set on doubling you're $$$ in 5 minutes time regarding a desired item, you are a soulless @ss-hole.

It sucks 'cause I like (most) of these guys. The gentleman that I usually deal with has been tending to the range, so I don't see him @ the shop anymore.

So what ya'll think? I have to stop buying there no matter what. I can't throw away $$$, but should I keep trying or talk to them? These guys were the last normal ones in town. I can get good Smiths on occasion from an even smaller shop, but this place had it all and now I always walk away with a bad taste.

More online purchases through their FFL??? Think that's where I'm going in this matter.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2897 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

1. Have you had your morning coffee?
2. Do they have any customer service surveys?
3. Why do you continue to "frequent" some place like that?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1915 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 3906

We have a local store, was looking for another revolver, tried to sell a Taurus Tracker .357 model, nope wanted a Ruger or another Smith. No Ruger and the Smiths were too damn expensive!

Took a slight glance at the Glock selection, had a used Glock 19 9mm for 350 over the retail price. OMG! They must have been smoking crack!

I take a trip to the big name store, Ruger GP100 for $539.99 (that was a year ago).

Long story short - took my business elsewhere!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
So I've been frequenting this gun store here since I move back in 2007. Probably purchased well over a dozen guns from them during that time, not to mention ammo, accessories and time at the range they own. I like the people, but lately I've been bothered by some things.

1. Their selection sucks! They stock any Glock, Taurus, DPMS, Charter Arms, Bersa, etc. you'll ever want, but looking for a Smith, forget it. They DO have some Kimber's, XDs and Rugers, BUT the prices are ridiculous!!! Example: almost $600 for a 4" GP100. AKs that I can order online for ~$375 are tagged @ $495!!! I can see a bit of a markup, but DAMN!

2. They refuse to barter with me any longer. I have never been pushy, period, but due to the volume I was taking outta there (small place too) they would usually give me the member tag price "out the door" rather than run it up after tax. And if I bought multiple firearms at once they'd knock an additional 10% off.

3. I witnessed them taking in an AR for a trade. I was lingering towards the back where other inventory is located, waiting for the desk to clear. This fellow brought in a decent AR from an adequate maker in exchange for a hunting rifle. They gave him $375 towards his trade! The guy didn't seemed bothered, but when I asked how much they'd take they quoted me about $100 short of double that!

Used Henry and Rossi lever guns for over $500!!!

I think if you are set on doubling you're $$$ in 5 minutes time regarding a desired item, you are a soulless @ss-hole.

It sucks 'cause I like (most) of these guys. The gentleman that I usually deal with has been tending to the range, so I don't see him @ the shop anymore.

So what ya'll think? I have to stop buying there no matter what. I can't throw away $$$, but should I keep trying or talk to them? These guys were the last normal ones in town. I can get good Smiths on occasion from an even smaller shop, but this place had it all and now I always walk away with a bad taste.

More online purchases through their FFL??? Think that's where I'm going in this matter.
I have noticed that at a few of the smaller shops that I frequent. Now, I have never been an everyday customer at any of them but I have been a frequent customer. It seems they have forgotten that 3 years ago they were lucky to sell 10 - 15 guns a month. Nowadays they can sell 10 a day and they have become arrogant and rude. I overheard a guy tell a customer "go ahead and order it online if you don't like my prices, when you ship it here I'll just get my profit from the transfer fees."

In their defense I would offer that there are now a lot of Ninja types that just waste their time handling every gun in the shop and leaving without purchasing anything. I also have a hard time knocking them for buying low and selling high...if you walk into a trade not knowing what your gun is worth and I lowball you, shame on you. If you don't like my offer don't sell it to me, if you don't like what I want for it then don't buy it. The market will usually take care of overpricing. If you really want that AR wait it out till the price comes down or make your best offer and ask them to call you when they are ready to accept it. If some schmuck wants to overpay for it that's his problem, not the shop owners, IMHO

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The canebrake suggestion is to walk! Vote with your $$$!

Most shops around here went off-chart in November '08 and have remained in greed mode to date.

This has caused me to use them for fondle-only and my money voting goes online now. The $20 transfer fee and sales tax savings far out weight the greed multiplier these SOB’s apply.

Time will force them to a return to reality but I may never go back to buy mode with these local azzhats.

My Pawn Shop FFL guy is real people and I can get most "NIB" purchases close to interwebz price even with the sales tax. He’s up front with his $25 profit he wants to make.

Used purchases are still a risk on-line but my experience has been good so-far.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with cane, if a store won't at least work with you a little after youv'e given them your business for a time I would go elsewhere. Take your time and do your shopping, you can find deals online if you are patient.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
1. Have you had your morning coffee? Yes
2. Do they have any customer service surveys? No
3. Why do you continue to "frequent" some place like that?
Because there aren't many stores around and I try to shop with the local business owners.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

There are local dedicated gun swap & sale sites and forums all over the place. I do 99.9% of my "pawn shop" business using these sites. I found the last 2 guns I bought very cheap on a local swap & sell site. Here's an example here in GA:

http://www.georgiaguntrader.com/

Last edited by NGIB; 06-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The canebrake suggestion is to walk! Vote with your $$$!

Most shops around here went off-chart in November '08 and have remained in greed mode to date.

This has caused me to use them for fondle-only and my money voting goes online now. The $20 transfer fee and sales tax savings far out weight the greed multiplier these SOB’s apply.

Time will force them to a return to reality but I may never go back to buy mode with these local azzhats.

My Pawn Shop FFL guy is real people and I can get most "NIB" purchases close to interwebz price even with the sales tax. He’s up front with his $25 profit he wants to make.

Used purchases are still a risk on-line but my experience has been good so-far.
I guess that's where I'm at now. These guy's have gotten enough of my money. There is 3 owners (partnership) and 2 of them won't budge. I really like the other guy, but he is rarely there anymore.

I suppose they might reconsider their tactics if they see multiple transfers go through their office. I've seen the body language resulting from my inquiry for a copy of their FFL. Hesitant to say the least.

What really irks me is when the "offer" to order me something and the price exceeds (sometimes by as much as $100) that of which I can get it online myself for.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Weird! At the tiny shop i recently picked up my GP100 and CZ75 from, the prices were very similar to that Bud's place online. Dude was friendly & helpful & fairly patient. He discounted a bit for some oil goop on the GP100, new & discoloration on the CZ, used. He gave me a decent deal on some ammo for the GP100, but his limited stock was missing 9mm for the CZ.

The thing that determined that i will definately be visiting at his new & closer location was when i asked about getting him to order me a Draco from an online dealer or Century. His response was that when i had more "toy money" i should come back by & show him what i want online so we can work something out. IIRC, his transfer fee is listed at $10 on gunbroker.com, but that may be dated.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.