Valor has no boundaries
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Valor has no boundaries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default Valor has no boundaries

Valor has no boundaries; Three Marines help save wounded police officer, apprehend suspect

10/8/2010 By Pfc. Evan Santy, 1st Marine Division

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — While sitting on the porch waiting for a home cooked meal in Long Beach, Calif. Oct. 6, Pfc. Anthony Rolden and his two friends and brothers in arms, Pfcs. Ryan Shuey and Christopher Smith, hear a gun fire in the distance. Without hesitation the three Marines spring into action, with nothing but raw instincts and Marine Corps training leading them. They race down an alley behind the house where they find a police officer fighting for his weapon and his life.

“It’s rewarding to know he’s alright,” said Pfc. Ryan Shuey, 20, from Huntingdon County, Pa. and a combat engineer, with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division. “I’m glad we were there to potentially save his life.”

The three Marines were taking a break from the mess hall, and having a relaxing night with family and friends before their deployment to Afghanistan in the next few days. That night had different plans for the young engineers and they had to show the true valor of the title United States Marine.

“It looked like David verses Goliath,” said Pfc. Anthony Rolden, 18, from Long Beach, Calif. a combat engineer, with 1st CEB, 1st Marine Division. “It all happened so fast.”

“He was a big guy,” said Pfc. Christopher Smith, 20, from Lemoore, Calif. a combat engineer, with 1st CEB, 1st Marine Division. “I don’t think I could have taken him down myself, so I’m glad all three of us were there.”

When they heard the gun shot the Marines reacted instantly. The Marines rushed to get Rolden’s younger brothers and sisters inside the house, then making their way to the noise. What they found was beyond belief. A police officer, who had been stabbed in the ear and was fighting for his life and his fire arm with another man, and struggling to hold on.
“They saw what was going on and didn’t stand by, they jumped in and assisted,” said Jim McDonnell, Long Beach Police Department chief of police. “Had this intervention not been done, it’s anybody’s guess how it would have turned out.”

The Marines immediately proceeded in helping the officer. Using their skills in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and detainee handling; the three quickly subdued the suspect. They then proceeded to administering first aid on the officer by checking for bullet wounds and stopped the bleeding from the officer’s stab wound.

“We knew what we had to do,” said Rolden. “When we heard the gun shot we did what we were trained to do; which was to run toward the fight, not from it.”

For many people a work day is from nine to five, but for service members the job isn’t over just because you take off the uniform. For these Marines that reputation was put to the test by having to go above the call of duty by literally running into the face of danger to save the life of a fellow defender of freedom.

“This is a perfect example of Marines being Marines 24/7,” said Lt. Col. Andrew Niebel, 43, from Silver Spring, Md., battalion commander of 1st CEB, 1st Marine Division. “Even after the uniform is taken off they are still living up to Marine Corps standards.”

Valor has no boundaries; Three Marines help save wounded police officer, apprehend suspect

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yup, Marines are special. Crazy, but special.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Kill babies!!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd like to buy those guys a beer...

Old 10-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Since this is California, I expect to see a headline that says something on the order of "Civilian attacked by 3 Marines".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You won't hear or see it in the liberal State Run Media, but it might make FOXNEWS.

These three exemplify the courage, honor and commitment of those who serve.

***Much Respect***

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
You won't hear or see it in the liberal State Run Media, but it might make FOXNEWS.

These three exemplify the courage, honor and commitment of those who serve.

***Much Respect***
Quoted for Truth!!

Excellent representation of our men & women in, or out of, uniform.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Great story. Defending life and liberty. Oohh rahh. Makes me happy.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oooh Rah! Good people tend to congregate.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."