valkyrie movie - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > valkyrie movie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If I remember right, these story rights have been in Cruise's possession for quite a few years. This has been a pet project of his for awhile now. Bryan Singer ( The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil, X-2 X-Men United, Superman ) is at the helm, so you will get a good movie.

I probably won't go see this at the theater, because of Cruise, but I will watch it on DVD/Blu-ray because it's an important story and I believe Singer will do a good job.

JD

Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i dont care whos in the movie, i like the story its based on so ill watch the darn thing proly not in the theatre but ill still watch

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tend to have reservations about movies such as this that portray acts of resistance in Nazi Germany. These guys were not the norm just as Oskar Schindler and Hans and Sophie Scholl were not the norm. I would hate for the popular memory of Nazi Germany in the U.S. to become one in which we have a romanticized view of benevolent actors in Germany. I do not want to minimize what these people did, but we must all understand that Nazi Germany was a complete and total breakdown of a modern, bureaucratic society. It could have happened and still could happen in any nation with a working bureaucracy. The only way to keep it from happening is to understand how fascism developed so we can see the warning signs early on.

Sorry about that rant, I'm sure it will be a great film (and yes I will certainly see it), but I really believe that if we are to understand humanity we need to try and understand what happened in Nazi Germany.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #14

Well it took me to the second page to understand who you where taking about....thanks JD (forced to agree with you he sets my teeth on edge).
I have to agree with mpd8488 with regard to Oskar Schindler and Hans and Sophie Scholl. Schindler began his association with the Nazi party as a war profiteer but to his credit once he fully understood the policy his humanitarian values shone through and he saved many lives. The Scholl's where indeed idealist's and they paid the price for active passive resistance.

I don't know whether it has been aired in the US, or issued on DVD but I would recommend the German Movie 'Downfall'. It was made by the same producers of 'Das Boot' and it chronicals the chaotic last four days in the Bunker in April 1945, with all the major players. There are interviews with with a number of eyewitnesses, which includes Mirsch (SS noncommissioned officer and Bunker radio operator), and Trudy Junge (Hitlers Principle Secretary, who died in 2002), Junge makes reference to the Scholl's.

It's worth a watch and read(as it's subtittled)...................

Last edited by Boris; 12-03-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #15

I will not watch it.

Scientology is an evil cult that murders people like Lisa Mcpherson and many others. My money will not go to that disgusting cult.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I refuse to watch anything that pud lover fudge packing in the closet fag master cult leader is in. He can take his gay lovin scientology little boy touching azz and go jump off a cliff for all I care.

Sucks too because the story and the movie should be a good one.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
I tend to have reservations about movies such as this that portray acts of resistance in Nazi Germany. These guys were not the norm just as Oskar Schindler and Hans and Sophie Scholl were not the norm. I would hate for the popular memory of Nazi Germany in the U.S. to become one in which we have a romanticized view of benevolent actors in Germany. I do not want to minimize what these people did, but we must all understand that Nazi Germany was a complete and total breakdown of a modern, bureaucratic society. It could have happened and still could happen in any nation with a working bureaucracy. The only way to keep it from happening is to understand how fascism developed so we can see the warning signs early on.

Sorry about that rant, I'm sure it will be a great film (and yes I will certainly see it), but I really believe that if we are to understand humanity we need to try and understand what happened in Nazi Germany.
I've seen the trailers for it and one thing concerns me --- I detect a degree of revisionist history in it. In one scene von Stauffenberg (Cruise) says something like "Hitler is a danger to the world" or some such phrasing. Frankly I seriously doubt that von Stauffenberg and his merry men gave a rat's a*s about danger to the world; by the time they got around to their little plot Germany was losing the war and the plotters blamed Hitler. They wanted to get rid of Hitler so they could sue for peace and try to save something of their Thousand Year Reich. If they had been cleaning up they would have been behind Hitler 100%.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jeeeeez.... it's freakin' a MOVIE, for cristsakes!

It has no net-worth other than entertainment... If you don't want to see it for whatever reason, then DON'T! WTF...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
I've seen the trailers for it and one thing concerns me --- I detect a degree of revisionist history in it. In one scene von Stauffenberg (Cruise) says something like "Hitler is a danger to the world" or some such phrasing. Frankly I seriously doubt that von Stauffenberg and his merry men gave a rat's a*s about danger to the world; by the time they got around to their little plot Germany was losing the war and the plotters blamed Hitler. They wanted to get rid of Hitler so they could sue for peace and try to save something of their Thousand Year Reich. If they had been cleaning up they would have been behind Hitler 100%.
Well the supporting cast is impressive I viewed the trailer on your suggestion and I think we must view the film before making a comment but I think 'revisionist history' is a bit strong, the facts are there although naturally it has a dramatic licence. However, Von Stauffenberg was a professional soldier, and an arrogant Prussian aristocrat .

It is easy to criticize them for their undoubted support of Hitler and the Nazi party through the good times but I feel a good many of them through patriotism made this decision to bring the end of the war through a coup. It was a courageous gamble which cost over 5000 lives at the hands of the SD. A good number where hung by cheese wire from meat hooks and allowed to slowly strangle to death. This being filmed for viewing by Hitler and his cronies.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Oh, come on Cpttango, tell us how you really think.