Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > VA earthquake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1446 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Default Earthquake Fx in NYC

Well, the WTC construction site and most other buildings in NYC were evacuated. The airports were closed and the towers evacuated. People in Manhattan gathered in whatever open spaces they could, Times Square, Central Park, etc., to get away from falling objects. . .

Trading on the NYSE was uninterrupted.

Last edited by Vincine; 08-24-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Was in Mt Vernon VA when I felt it .

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #13

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Epicenter about 20 miles away. Impressive rocking and rolling for about 30 seconds- longest quake I have been in. No damage here. My lady thought the washer had become unbalanced, and was shaking the house.

Virginia Power has 2 nuke plants that were just about on top of that one today. Part of the reason I keep a geiger counter and sets of MOPP 4 gear.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #14

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Many of the neighbors here in NC felt it...I was at the range shooting my .45 and didn't feel a thing

Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #15

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

In a related matter...all DC gov't offices closed for the day...Dow goes up 300 pts.

White House comms director J Carney reports there is nothing to worry about what you felt was just The President's ego collapsing under the weight of it's bullsh@t.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

felt it for about 15 seconds in NH, small motion but definitely noticeable

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #17

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

They evacuated all buildings on the Navy Yard in DC. The building im in was shaking quite a lot. Everyone was doing fine and leaving the building in a quick but calm manner until the security guard came running through the halls yelling "Get out of the building immediately, Evacuate". Then a few people starting panicking and running and causing more problems. Did I mention we were only 20 feet from the exit at the time and were obviously heading towards it.

Then cell phone service was down for about 20 minutes while everyone tried to call their family. Then they wouldn't let us back into buildings or leave or even move across the base for another 30 minutes. Luckily people on military bases are usually considerate and respect authority, had this been a civilian work campus and 1 security guard tried to stop 500 people from walking past them on a 2 lane road with sidewalks on both sides, I'm sure you can imagine how well that would go.

No major damage or injuries from what I have heard(which is amazingly fantastic news), but after spending billions and billions this is a great drill for what would happen in a terrorist incident and we are not ready that was made obvious to me today.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #18

Liked 619 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I didn't feel $hit in Iowa

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 08-24-2011, 04:02 AM   #19

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The composition of the ground on the East coast makes for faster, more defined transmission of the S and P waves of an earthquake. The large amount of bedrock transmits these waves like a funnel and actually amplifies their effect and how they're felt. Having lived in the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia for many decades basically conditioned me to not feeling any quakes unless they were 6.6 on the Richter scale or higher. I went through some of the big ones. Sylmar quake in 1971 at 6.6. Whittier Narrows quake in 1987 at 5.9. Not that big (for the PЯK) but the area hit had a lot of the "trendy" buildings...those with brick façades. The Northridge quake in 1994 at 6.7. That one was the worst of the bunch, not because of its magnitude, but because of its duration of excessive ground motion. Still went out and played a round of golf that day. I lived in Orange county so there wasn't a lot of damage around the area.

Hopefully the New Madrid fault stays rather quiescent because in 1811 and 1812 it let loose with magnitude 7.7 or greater quakes - plural - (only estimated because no seismographs were around then) and did untold damage to the area, including changing the topography of the land drastically. If that same thing happened now, there would be hundreds of thousands of deaths and billions of dollars of damage...a disaster like nothing else seen by man on this planet. It would rival, and quite likely beat, the tsunami in the Indian Ocean area in 2004.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #20

Liked 111 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 229

WELCOME..to the Midwest and the West....We get them all the time.....