Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > UT: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Default UT: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=19419913&title=homeowner-fatally-shoots-intruder&s_cid=featured-1

Quote:
SPRINGVILLE — A homeowner fatally shot a would-be robber who broke into his house in Springville early Thursday morning. The intruder apparently stopped for a snack in the kitchen before going upstairs to threaten the home's residents.

Springville police responded to a call of a home invasion robbery at 2:48 a.m. in the area of 800 South and 475 East. When officers arrived they found the suspect had been fatally shot.
The quote that jumps out at me:

Quote:
It's unclear if the residents actually saw the man's gun.
It's a home invasion/ attempted robbery. As I understand things, simply implying that you have a gun is enough. For instance: the finger in the pocket gimmick. Oh well, game over for one more douchebag.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=19419913&title=homeowner-fatally-shoots-intruder&s_cid=featured-1

The quote that jumps out at me:

It's a home invasion/ attempted robbery. As I understand things, simply implying that you have a gun is enough. For instance: the finger in the pocket gimmick. Oh well, game over for one more douchebag.

Apparently this douche tried 20 other homes and cars before settling on that home. To me, that says premeditation. But, then again, I'm not a LEO nor am I a Lawyer.

Plus, aren't there some states that will charge you for armed robbery even if it's only a toy gun?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Laws vary GREATLY state-to-state. In general, the difference between theft (unlawful taking) and robbery (unlawful taking by force or threat of violence) is that the victim of a robbery is in fear of harm.

In Virginia, what happened in Utah would be burglary of a dwelling in the nightime- a class 3 felony. Do it with a deadly weapon, class 2 felony. Breaking and entering (burglary) is a separate crime from simple theft or robbery.

However, I would not expect anyone that finds a stranger in their house in the wee hours of the morning to be a legal scholar- I would consider their presence to be a threat to the well being of self and family.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

oh well, when is the court date for the home owner? dosent matter, you think he'll get 5 or 10 for manslaughter?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum
oh well, when is the court date for the home owner? dosent matter, you think he'll get 5 or 10 for manslaughter?
No way. Utah man! You break in here we'll kill ya. Ain't so sh!t about it!

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
No way. Utah man! You break in here we'll kill ya. Ain't so sh!t about it!
oohrah ropin, but i hear this alot, yet i continue to read such articles in the paper as "rulling in courts case of violent ex-marine who gunned down innocent cat burglar with anti-tank pistol."

Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum
Even though Utah does't show being a castle doc state, I don't think this home owner will see the inside of a courtroom. Could be wrong.

downloadfile-12.jpeg

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Even though Utah does't show being a castle doc state, I don't think this home owner will see the inside of a courtroom. Could be wrong.

Attachment 40389
You can have Castle Laws, and not be a Castle Doctrine state. Mine is like that.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

as a side note: thank god all the states worth living in have good gun laws.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good for him, No telling what was going to happen after he drove theBG to the atm. Although a very regretable situation he did what was necessary to keep his family safe.