USMC Commandant Wants .45 ACP - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

USMC Commandant Wants .45 ACP

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1053 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 914

Ya'll need to read something about what fighting men will do to stay alive. Men shot 3-4 or more times paired with a guy who wasn't wounded but both still fought. No gun including the almighty .45 is gonna put a man down without a killing shot.

Pistols are also rarely used in combat unless they are close and it is a last resort. I'm still a believer in the .45 over a 9mm and that is what I would want. We will see what the USMC gets for a fighting weapon. I'd venture to say 80-90% of the old 1911's in the 2 big wars never were used in combat.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3734 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Ya'll need to read something about what fighting men will do to stay alive. Men shot 3-4 or more times paired with a guy who wasn't wounded but both still fought. No gun including the almighty .45 is gonna put a man down without a killing shot.

Pistols are also rarely used in combat unless they are close and it is a last resort. I'm still a believer in the .45 over a 9mm and that is what I would want. We will see what the USMC gets for a fighting weapon. I'd venture to say 80-90% of the old 1911's in the 2 big wars never were used in combat.
This is all true. But just because it may not be used, doesn't mean our boys should have a lesser chance, IF they should need it.

Its issued. It's there. Their lives COULD depend on it. Might as well give them the best odds possible.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Right but the article says we only ordered 12,000. That's not enough to be standard issue.

Trip, how many Grunts are there in the Corps? 50k? More? How about military police?

My point is 12k is probably only enough to replace the 1911s we still have on hand. Unless its only the beginning of a much larger order, its not even close to enough for standard issue.
Hand guns are not standard issue for every Marine.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #34

Liked 230 Times on 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
That's convenient , enough said. Did I tell you the story about the time I was on the balcony during the Iranian embassy siege with the SAS. My point without evidence we can all make it up as we go along.

Keep up the cheap shoots if it makes feel better. PS I am not mad I am chilling out with a few beers.

Will vouch for trips military experience,or at least that he looks good in dress blues. Didn't know him when he was overseas,but do know him personally and what he talks about are his experiences and not story's.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #35

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I really doubt many marines see any pistol as a battle weapon. A pistol is something to indicate status and prevent yourself from being taken prisoner. A pistol will never seen as an offensive weapon by any military. I really doubt if any enlisted man gives a damn what kind of pistol he is carrying.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1122 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
I really doubt many marines see any pistol as a battle weapon. A pistol is something to indicate status and prevent yourself from being taken prisoner. A pistol will never seen as an offensive weapon by any military. I really doubt if any enlisted man gives a damn what kind of pistol he is carrying
I would agree all the military are interested in is winning what ever battle they are in . They will use whatever weapon they need to achieve that outcome. The handgun is way down their priorities when it comes to weapons.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3734 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Hand guns are not standard issue for every Marine.
Never said it was. I haven't been issued one yet, for example.

However Grunts, MPs, Staff NCOs, Officers, and countless other MOS' DO get issued handguns. And 12k is not near enough to account for everyone that is issued one. There are approximately 190k active duty Marines right now. I would guess anywhere from a third to half of that number get issued a sidearm. There are actually a lot of MOS' who rate one that you might not expect. Such as Combat Engineers, Counter Intel, even some Admin guys who carry a lot of money in country.

Its also the easiest thing, depending on your unit, to convince your Commanding Officer that you will need a pistol on a deployment.

All things considered, I would say my earlier estimate might be a tad low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I really doubt many marines see any pistol as a battle weapon. A pistol is something to indicate status and prevent yourself from being taken prisoner. A pistol will never seen as an offensive weapon by any military. I really doubt if any enlisted man gives a damn what kind of pistol he is carrying.
Yes its a bit of a status thing. But not entirely. See my above post.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #38

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
And you used 9mm and .45 handguns in similar circumstances and found the .45 superior. If so in what circumstances and in what way was the .45 superior. I posted a link earlier that caint be disputed, a police officer with SWAT experience that shot a guy 14 times with a .45 and didn't stop him. That could have happened as well if he was using a 9mm, this is real world experience that can be proven not just someone's opinion.

I never said he wasn't, just pointing out that people can make it up as they go along. That's why I doint claim to be anything other than someone with an interest in firearms.
Nope. Never done it. I have, however, SEEN, with my own eyes (not read about it on the internet) men shot with 9mm, and men shot with .45, and the .45 appeared to be more effective in putting down enemy combatants. I've also HEARD, with my own ears, first hand accounts of the same thing from other veterans fresh from a firefight. Can an extreme circumstance, such as the one you keep bringing up, happen? Hell yeah. I've seen a man continue to try to fight with parts of his brain hanging out the back of his head. So what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
QFT, except for the part I highlighted in red. Isn't that what brought up the discussion?

I'll add to your post, John Deer, that just like in the civilian world, it's a last ditch weapon, to also be used to continue the fight until you can get a better weapon. Just a small nuance.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #39

Liked 642 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1394849195.795307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
People Like This 
Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I can vouch for trip too. I've met him and I've seen the pics of him over there. He has actually served his country in actual combat. Learn some ****ing respect.
Amen Brother!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Closed Thread