Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > US Silver Eagles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Can we get some pics, even if they don't do any justice? See if your camera can do macros and use plenty of light. That'll help show fine detail on the coins.
Soon as I can find my camera I will put some pics of the Eagles I've got. I'll also take some of the better Morgan and Peace Dollars I have if you want.

I think a sub-forum of hobbies might be a good idea.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Used to buy them by the roll and resell them on ebay until the seller fees went too high. The make it so you can't give someone a deal. I have two Hitler stamps, and a couple Nazi reichmarks. Great conversation pieces.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

[QUOTE=dunerunner;174392]Here's an opportunity to start another sub-forum!! How many of our members have even a modest coin collection?/QUOTE]
My dad was heavy into coin collecting and as a kid I got into it. He has since passed away and his collection is now mine. I've added to it over the years. About 2/3 complete on the Morgan (MS-62 or thereabouts), complete Jefferson nickels, almost complete Lincoln cents (I sold my 1909-S VDB and need to replace it and then it will be complete again), and loads of other U.S. stuff. Some old foreign coins, mostly Britain (Elizabeth I and Henry V), and a healthy stash of ancient Roman, Greek and Mesopotamian stuff.

This is separate and distinct from the bullion silver and gold I'm stockpiling, of course.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #14

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not a numismatist so tell me how you guys are protecting your coinage. I'm talking about the Morgans, Peace, and Trade dollars, the Walker, Franklin and Kennedy silver halves, etc.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I'm not a numismatist so tell me how you guys are protecting your coinage. I'm talking about the Morgans, Peace, and Trade dollars, the Walker, Franklin and Kennedy silver halves, etc.
This is only my opinion, but the value of Morgans, Peace, and Kennedy's is mostly in their collector's status. The actual silver content is so low that you get more value out of buying Eagles. They're cheaper and purer. Also, I'm not even so sure silver will explode in the manner gold has.

I'm still pissed that I didn't buy gold at $600 because I thought it was valued too high. Major screw up on my part. But here I am not buying god at its current rate because.... it's too high.

Anyways, back on topic...sell everything that isn't pure and get the pure stuff. Buy a safe and bold that effer to the ground.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ineff, I agree that; as an "Investment" in precious metals, bullion coins and bars are the only way to go.

I just wondered how members who collect protect coins that are not PCGS or mounted by some other Grading Service?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Coins with numismatic value are in protective holders in volumes stored in a safe.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
This is only my opinion, but the value of Morgans, Peace, and Kennedy's is mostly in their collector's status.
Yes and no. The ones in good condition or with rare characteristics cost more due to their desirability by collectors rather than their intrinsic value. "Junk" silver -- pre-1964 U.S. coins that are worn and have no collector value -- are excellent to buy if you want bulk silver and they're cheaper than bullion rounds.

Quote:
The actual silver content is so low that you get more value out of buying Eagles.
They're 90% silver which isn't bad.

Quote:
They're cheaper and purer.
Purer, yes. Cheaper, not necessarily.

Quote:
Also, I'm not even so sure silver will explode in the manner gold has.
There are a couple funny facts about silver. First, there is far, far LESS silver above ground than gold - there is about four times the amount of total gold than silver. Second, silver is used in industry far more than gold, and it is heavily used in ways where the silver cannot be recovered. Of all the silver ever mined, over 90% has been used in industry. And the amount of silver the U.S. uses for industrial purposes is only around 35%...we buy the rest from other countries. There are many who firmly believe the price of silver is being artificially kept extremely low. We'll see.

So silver has a lot of potential. It has more uses than gold and it's a lot cheaper to buy.

Quote:
I'm still pissed that I didn't buy gold at $600 because I thought it was valued too high. Major screw up on my part. But here I am not buying god at its current rate because.... it's too high.
I know that feeling well. The thing is, back when gold was $600 and below, I hadn't yet taken notice of the FUBARed monetary policies and corresponding skanked economy.

Quote:
Anyways, back on topic...sell everything that isn't pure and get the pure stuff. Buy a safe and bold that effer to the ground.
Eh, I don't know. When you buy U.S. gold eagles, they're only a little more than 91% gold, but they're well worth owning. (They weigh 1.09 ounces, so you're actually getting one ounce of pure gold. There's just some silver and copper mixed in to let the coin wear well.) Canadian Maple Leafs are 99.9% -- among the purest gold you can buy in coin form.

If you want inexpensive silver in bulk, "junk" silver pre-1964 coins is a very reasonable way to go. So are bullion rounds with no collector value, and you're at 99.9% pure silver with the rounds.

As for the safe...do what Ineff said. Get one, bolt it down, and fill it up.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Silver Eages are nice coins. I have several I got from family. Nice holding precious metals.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I should probably clarify...

You can buy a Morgan for $20 (or more) and it is way less than an ounce and only 90% pure, or you can buy an Eagle for $25 and get 99% pure and a full ounce of it.

BKT is correct about the Maple Leafs. I owned many of the silver leafs and they are more pure than the Eagles at 99.9%. The higher purity makes them more brittle though. But who cares?

I did not know that little tidbit about silver. Thanks for the info!