Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > US appeals court panel: Law against faking receipt of military medals is unconstituti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default US appeals court panel: Law against faking receipt of military medals is unconstituti

FOXNews.com - US appeals court panel: Law against faking receipt of military medals is unconstitutional

PASADENA, Calif. – A three-year-old federal law that makes it a crime to falsely claim to have received a medal from the U.S. military is unconstitutional, an appeals court panel in California ruled Tuesday.

The decision involves the case of Xavier Alvarez of Pomona, Calif., a water district board member who said at a public meeting in 2007 that he was a retired Marine who received the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration.

Alvarez was indicted in 2007. He pleaded guilty on condition that he be allowed to appeal on First Amendment grounds. He was sentenced under the Stolen Valor Act to more than 400 hours of community service at a veterans hospital and fined $5,000.

A panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with him in a 2-1 decision Tuesday, agreeing that the law was a violation of his free-speech rights. The majority said there's no evidence that such lies harm anybody, and there's no compelling reason for the government to ban such lies.

The dissenting justice insisted that the majority refused to follow clear Supreme Court precedent that false statements of fact are not entitled to First Amendment protection.

Dozens of people have been arrested under the law at a time when veterans coming home from wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are being embraced as heroes. Many of the cases involve men who simply got caught living a lie without profiting from it. Almost all the impostors have been ordered to perform community service.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles said it was deciding whether to appeal Tuesday's ruling.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So does that mean it's cool to go into business manufacturing fake medals to sell to the poseurs? Anybody want a Nobel Peace Prize for $19.95? As seen on Al Gore, Barak Obama, Yassir Arafat, and other benefactors of mankind!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hope this is overturned in a higher court.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's bullsh!t.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8430 Times on 3656 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Suggest that the poseurs wear their medals in public. Any Saturday nite on Hayes Street in Fayetteville NC would be a good start.

Pleae note that there would BE no appeals.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2660 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

And this is the crap that I, as a veteran, served to protect.

Talk about a slap to the face.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #7

Default Judges and the law

Makes you wonder how some people ever got through law school. Just no common sense.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Raising the BS flag on this one. I served my time and busted my ass for my medals, dont need posers fakin it. Guess ya just have to ask to see their DD214.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Suggest that the poseurs wear their medals in public. Any Saturday nite on Hayes Street in Fayetteville NC would be a good start.

Pleae note that there would BE no appeals.
Indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Raising the BS flag on this one. I served my time and busted my ass for my medals, dont need posers fakin it. Guess ya just have to ask to see their DD214.
I HATE POSERS!

Worthless, lazy, low self esteem, dishonoring, disrespectful, riding tailcoats, lying, pieces of sh!t!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
[The dissenting justice insisted that the majority refused to follow clear Supreme Court precedent that false statements of fact are not entitled to First Amendment protection..
I would like to hear the other two judges explain why they felt they shouldn't follow Supreme Court precedence.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson