Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Upside down flags......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Default Upside down flags......

What's with all the upside down flags in the avatars lately? I know there are many here who fought bravely and sacrificed a lot for that flag and I know it offends some to see the flag flown upside down. I know it is a universal sign of distress and particularly that our country is in distress but I have received a comment from a well respected veteran who is a member here and a good family man and great friend. It kind of hurt him to see that flag used that way. He fought for this country during a time of war and it hurt me to see him hurt. I approached a member here who was displaying an upside down flag and explained the situation and he politely and readily changed his avatar. I was thankful to him for not putting up a fight about 'it's his right to post that avatar, freedom of speech, 1st ammendment, etc.'

I know many are upset about Obama winning the election and I know our country isn't in the best shape. I know it is 'your right' to post that avatar. But I don't like hurting even one war vet over that use of the flag.

Feel free to post it as your avatar. I'm just voicing an opinion and the opinion of a war vet.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6541 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

The ones you are seeing here represent the distress that America is going through as we continue to go downhill economically, and as we continue to loose more rights.
When used as a distress signal, they are not meant to be seen as disrespectful.

Quote:
THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
An upside down flag is used as a distress signal. The ones you are seeing here represent the distress that America is going through as we continue to go downhill economically, and as we continue to loose more rights.
When used as a distress signal, they are not meant to be seen as disrespectful.
I understand that and I expressed that in my OP. Did you read what I posted?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6541 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I understand that and I expressed that in my OP. Did you read what I posted?
lol, sorry, I did read it after I posted. I fixed it. Read it again.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
lol, sorry, I did read it after I posted. I fixed it.
Thanks.

A war vet who fought and watched at least one friend die is offended by this. He knows it's a distress signal. He knows it's someone's 'right' to post this avatar. Is there no other way to express how we feel about the state of our country other than an upside flag?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I think the point they are trying to make with the flag flipped is that they feel the nation is in distress. But the code says "(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. "

I have serious concerns about the potential risk that Obama represents for damage to our way of life. But those concerns are not as immediate and extreme as what the highlighted wording suggests.

Respect is something that must be earned. I think our flag and our veterans have earned it. I wish that those using the flipped flag avatars would find another way to express their distress. Perhaps they could photoshop a picture of Obama on a white flag and fly that upside down!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't wish to offend, but NO servicemen present or past should be offended by a citizens feeling of distress.

They "fought for our freedom", well, they fought because they were told to
But generally understood to be for OUR freedom.

I don't know any current soldiers who are offended by a sign of implied distress.

All of my "forever" flag stamps will be affixed upside down until I run out, or the president runs out.

It comes down to personal freedoms, and no one should be allowed to infringe upon them.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Make no mistake, I do feel distressed by Obama's reelection. And your right to express the degree of your distress is not being questioned. Just pointing out that some folks are offended by the flipped flag being used as social commentary.

The only valid reason for me to draw my gun for real is if I believe there is imminent danger to life or grave injury to myself or another. My interpretation of the code mentioned above is that the "extreme danger to life or property" should be of the same degree as that when I would draw my weapon.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 429 Times on 229 Posts

Well, it does bother me. I just feel the dire distress clause is being misinterpreted much as the Bible gets misinterpreted.
You can display it as you like, as for me I do feel it is a sign of disrespect.
I have carried caskets that The Flag has draped, I will honor it as I honor my fallen brethren.
You do as you wish.
That's all I got to say about that.

People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I have carried caskets that The Flag has draped, I will honor it as I honor my fallen brethren.
That made me cry.
People Like This