Up For Discussion - The Aftermath - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Up For Discussion - The Aftermath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

The 3 most important things in real estate is location, location, location. Same for a crisis situation.

Our basic plan has always been to "bug in". With family and neighbors, rather remote rural area, the dangerous people factor is limited. After first 14 days, THAT will get reduced a lot more.

As far as food, water, power, and doing things for yourself- well, traditionally, folks here have always done that a lot. While I can't recall the last time we had a zombie outbreak, I CAN recall the last time we were off grid for 9 days following a hurricane. Some extra work, but we made out quite well. Had neighbors over for beef stew and cornbread, and a few games of gin rummy.

As Yunus noted- disease and infection can be a big unforeseen for a lot of folks. Immunizations up to date, and basic sanitation will be a MUST. I DO have basic medical supplies, knowledge, references- and a couple of health care types in the area.

Water? Got 2 wells. Food? We can, dry, and smoke a lot of our own now. Limitations? Canning lids, salt. Basic knowledge of animal husbandry, and references on hand.

Some solar and wind, limitations on gas and oil for powered equipment. Work around is hand powered equipment, and being able to make limited amounts of alcohol. Been buying hand tools for ages when the price is right. Crosscut saw, brace & bit, planes, axes and mauls, etc.

Pregnancy? Not a problem for me- for others, midwives have delivered babies for years (I have helped deliver 2) But ever think about sanitary napkins for the ladies? A flush toilet on a septic system needs water- do you know how to build a pit privy, and where not to put it?

Weapons? Yeah- got those. Also have flintlocks- I can make anything they need to work.

Entertainment? Ya know, we DID have things to keep us amused before the net and VCRs DVDs. Chess, cards, weaving, whittling, and any craft you can think of. Can probably put a band together, and I play a mean harmonica.

How long are we good for? With luck, planning, and hard work, a few generations at least. My family has survived here in Virginia since the late 1600's, including making it thru some hostile times.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #32

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1345

I could easily survive with my family for at least a couple of months with the supplies we have. But I am a little concerned about where we would go. I live in Colorado. Anywhere that I could take my 26 foot camper would probably be full of hunters. We have plenty of camping suppies, tents, sleeping bags etc. But I think a camper would be a great asset in bear country! Then again propane would only last about a month in cold weather. I have a 3500 watt generator. But gas would not last long. I will be buying one of those Harbor Freight solar panel kits later this year.

Plenty of guns, ammo, canned food, water, blankets and winter gear.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #33

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

As of right now my stockpile is squat ... but I can scavenge for whatever I need and will take by force if I have to

but most likely I will hold my ground on the nearest hill until I am overrun by zombies ... then I'll light the hill on fire

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Watching the History Channel movie After Armageddon and reading the Bosnia Blog was eye opening.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9629

If SHTF were to happen right now I'd say 6 to 18 months. We have a generator that runs off a gas well. 2 good wells for water, are 1\2 mile from Lake Erie, 2 years worth of food. guns and reloading suplies are good. 4 in the household are ex-military, one former LEO, one former EMT, three of us hunt and five of us are gardeners.We have a small group of likeminded people on our road, who all have skills that will be crucial to survival. We are also close to ( within 200 yards of ) a hospitaland the supplies needed from there. The biggest problem will be of a medical nature. 2 of us are diabetic ( I'm type 1), and 2 of us are asthmatic. as long as we have power, insulin will last for years. No juice to run the refridgerators, 28 days. Needless to say, we would move over to the hospital and start with fortifying it immediately, as well as raid certain stores within the area soon thereafter.

Where the problem lies for now is we will be relacating over the summer. Most of our preps will be able to come with us, some will not. We are going to buy a house at the county tax auctions, but we don't know which one we will get and where it will be. At that point we will reasess our plans, and change them as necessary.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.