Up For Discussion - The Aftermath - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Up For Discussion - The Aftermath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Some of us will be screwed no matter how much water and food we have. I need heart medicine. If things stay bad for much more than months I'm SOL unless I can raid a pharmacy.
I have meds I take daily as well, and that is a concern. Luckily my health care is set up with 90 day supplies via mail, so each time I get a new shipment I syphon a few off and put them in a labeled zip-loc bag. It's not a great amount, but if I stagger the dose and don't try to run around like He-man, I should be okay for the first month.

Raiding is again something that I think needs to be planned at the earliest you can safely do so. Someplace that has food and medical supplies is a must. Even if you take over a Walgreen's or a Rite Aid, you will at least have access to junk food and meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
If something were to happen right this moment, I'm ska-rood...unless the 'C' in LCR stands for cheeseburger...

My prep list has been streamlined to bare essentials but not nearly enough checkmarks as of now...a month or so when things may or may not fall into place, It'd be a better situation...but yeah...

I'm an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis...
I laughed at the cheeseburger, then I had to break out a slide rule and my Rube Goldberg Dictionary to decipher the last comment.

This thread was designed as a way to assess what you have and what you might want to look for in coming months, so you are right on track. Sounds like you have a plan, you just need a little more time.

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep 'em coming.

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 252

I have a simple rhetorical question, if it gets to the point where we need to have a defensible perimeter, spider holes, aka mad max, how many people even want to live in that environment?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
I have a simple rhetorical question, if it gets to the point where we need to have a defensible perimeter, spider holes, aka mad max, how many people even want to live in that environment?
Want to? Damn few. Will and gladly to survive? Alot.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Me and a few ex military-mostly spec ops guys retired will get together and anyone that I KNOW can join us. We have it all pretty much figured out. We have mres out the wazzoo. Fresh water we can handle because there is 4 fresh water springs around. We have 3 big solar panels for power plus a wind mill one guy brought out from someplace in Nebraska. As to guns and ammo-i think we got that covered since the Shop is right in the middle of the area. plus all the guns each person brings. Fresh green food we can handle w the garden. As to meat......that will get chancey after a few months. Raiding......well that several of the guys specialty of you catch my drift defense is easy for us since a) we have hellacious fields of fire b) there is 2 very VERY good shots at long range including me c) we have all close combat veterans d) we have booby traps all ready to go....just needs to be armed. All get checked monthly for repair. I think we got it good if that area goes down we have plans kinda similar for another area w double and triple plans on how to get to the other area.
I would definitely say you are ahead of a lot of us with what you have access to and the peeps you know. That is good. How far apart are you all? Do you work/live all in the same area or would it be a days' hike to meet up?

My hope is that people will continue to offer both pluses and minuses in their siituations to get others thinking about what might be a good course of action for them. Not everyone lives next to a hospital or has access to 15 different calibers and a boatload of ammo, but perhaps they get an idea from someone else on preps that can make a difference.

A national survey has the average household incapable of surviving past 24-30 hours with what they have on hand in the event of natural disaster! Hence the reason you have seen all those billboards and ads for 3 Days worth of supplies on hand sprouting up since Katrina happened a few years back.

In the PNW we have been fortunate enough, or maybe unfortunate enough if you weren't prepared, to see what happens when power goes out for 8, 10, 14 days.

People LOSE THEIR MINDS!! And that is just power, they will have access to things like running water and can go to stores or restuarants or even a hotel on a circuit that has power. Imagine 10,000 of your closest neighbors with no resources and a limited ability to care for themselves and a family they love in peril.

Just sayin'

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #15

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
Beats the alternative...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Honest assessment of how long me and mine could endure a SHTF scenario... not very long without some kind of social order. Social order could be better maintained in a small town than where I live right now. If I can get everything I need to my parent's place, we'd be in pretty good shape for a few weeks at the least.

The water would be my ultimate bug out plan, but I'm very short on preparations. I would like to change this in the near future, but even that would require some warning. If it's in the warm months, head to the great lakes and out the St. Lawrence. If it's the cold months, I'd have to get south. Both have significant issues.

None of the problems I see in implementation can't be solved with money. A stocked 50 footer on the gulf. A Cessna 210 at the airport. Put the major pieces in place and we'd be good indefinitely.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I would guess that maybe 0.01% of the populace WANTS to live in that situation. The amount of people who would be WILLING to accept it as a way of life as opposed to death would be higher I would imagine.

I don't think anyone is truly prepared for Mad Max time. While it would be nice to beat my chest and say I am all prepared and I have nothing to worry about, the fact of the matter is, I am hardly prepared to be a lone gun against the world.

But with a thread like this my hope is that people will evaluate what they have and what they need for a short term, societal collapse like we have seen during riots and floods and earthquakes.

All of which have been very real in the past few years, just very few have been here in the US.

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

I would definitely say you are ahead of a lot of us with what you have access to and the peeps you know. That is good. How far apart are you all? Do you work/live all in the same area or would it be a days' hike to meet up?

My hope is that people will continue to offer both pluses and minuses in their siituations to get others thinking about what might be a good course of action for them. Not everyone lives next to a hospital or has access to 15 different calibers and a boatload of ammo, but perhaps they get an idea from someone else on preps that can make a difference.

A national survey has the average household incapable of surviving past 24-30 hours with what they have on hand in the event of natural disaster! Hence the reason you have seen all those billboards and ads for 3 Days worth of supplies on hand sprouting up since Katrina happened a few years back.

In the PNW we have been fortunate enough, or maybe unfortunate enough if you weren't prepared, to see what happens when power goes out for 8, 10, 14 days.

People LOSE THEIR MINDS!! And that is just power, they will have access to things like running water and can go to stores or restuarants or even a hotel on a circuit that has power. Imagine 10,000 of your closest neighbors with no resources and a limited ability to care for themselves and a family they love in peril.

Just sayin'

JD
We all live w in 60 miles of the place. We would meet up in twos and threes along the way. My house is the last jumping off place. All of our preps have been built upon for bout 10 years now so I guess you could say we are a work WAY into progress. We all have the vehicles and capabilities to get there. We all know back ways in. Admittedly only me and my mentor knows the true back ways in but once we all got in those would be shown.

Last edited by Marlinman; 06-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
We all live w in 60 miles of the place. All of our preps have been built upon for bout 10 years now so I guess you could say we are a work WAY into progress. We all have the vehicles and capabilities to get there. We all know back ways in. Admittedly only me and my mentor knows the true back ways in but once we all got in those would be shown.
Yeah I would have to say you are WELL ahead of the curve on this one, which is good. *respect*

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

Yeah I would have to say you are WELL ahead of the curve on this one, which is good. *respect*
Thank you. I edited that since my phone didn't put that in.