Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Undoing some of the damage I have done....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4550 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 4691

I think Hitlary was right at the wrong time about "It takes a Community to raise a child". When I was young, it was just that way in our rural area. You couldnt help but learn about all the things surrounding our home from friends and neighbors and My Mom (Widowed Young) appreciated it. I learned about the appropriate use of guns long before I learned about the evils that lurk in dark places. We were taught to stay clear of cows feet, dont climb higher than we were ready to fall, keep 5' from the streams edge and keep our hands off stuff that we didnt know how to use. We didnt learn them as BOR's at 7 years old, we just knew they were everywhere and that was Normal.

These were all good things to know because all of them were present everywhere around me and it wasnt If I would be exposed, it was when! The training started as early as our first steps and never ended. We werent caged like rats, we were free to roam and explore our beautiful and bountiful million acre yard armed with knowledge, Moms rules and a keen ear for her ringing the cowbell to tell us its tiime to come home!

Neighbors didnt inflict morals on us but they did ensure we were equally prepared to see and hear all possible threats that could emerge from improper use of tools that we would confront in the coming years without exception. I had more freedom and command of my surroundings at age 12 than many 18 year olds have today. I could use a chainsaw, split wood, drive a tractor, go small game hunting alone, work the Haymow, go swimming in the creek with friends and hitchhike to my buddies at 12 years old. All my buddies had the same training and 50 years later here how that shakes out-

Those that didnt make it to my age today died from motorcycle accidents and illness, not gunshots or chainsaws. Survivors of teenage drunkin stupidity still have all their fingers, didnt do time in prison and all have been employed in some manner since the day they earned their first paycheck (About 10 or 11 YO).

Winds, the 70's brought about a new "limited enlightenment" methodology that has served us all poorly, "They arent old enough yet to learn _______". Like somehow not talking about something made it all disappear as a threat, all it really did was shrink our kids toolboxes to crayons, calculators and peace signs. We can shelter them only so long and then they find out everything we never told them, usually from people that dont have anything invested other than their own possibly misguided principles.

It wasnt just you that "let your kids down", it was the Neighborhood that helped you do it. Facts of life include much more than the Birds and Bees, they include all the situational things that your surroundings could confront you with. Lets face it, our kids know more about stuff they will never do or see than they do about the things around them everyday. Funny that they feel more comfortable speaking a second language or singing an aria than picking up a pitchfork in Central NY!

The old adage, "Its never too late to learn" seems appropriate for this topic, old and young can learn new tricks cause were humans, not doggies. Praise your enlightenment dont kick yourself for learned ignorance in your prior youth. Its a great thing to become aware that "For Our Own Good" starts young with full enlightenment and ends with an adult that can make great choices for themselves, you done good girl!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1428 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 307

My Dad survived on squirrels during the depression. When he 'made it', he never wanted to hunt again. He had 4 sons and we are all Eagle Scouts. Scouts is where I shot my first .22. I later took some ROTC classes in college, learned to field strip M16 and M60s. Way cool

I became a fires arms enthusiast as an adult as well. My sons are hunters and also firearms owners. Thankfully we live in a state with a great hunting and firearms tradition (Minnesota) so my kids are growing up shooting and hunting where there is great public land and a great DNR. We hunt grouse, pheasant and deer mostly. Lots of range trips for targets and trap shooting and my wife joins in too

It's never too late. I feel sorry for all the people whose only reference point on firearms and things related is the media. The information they receive about firearms and we as owners/enthusiasts is complete distortion and basically the new racism if you ask me

People Like This 
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6107 Times on 3699 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
It's never too late. I feel sorry for all the people whose only reference point on firearms and things related is the media. The information they receive about firearms and we as owners/enthusiasts is complete distortion and basically the new racism if you ask me
That is exactly what happened to me. I didn't know any better. I heard the news and read the newspaper. That's all I knew about guns. I grew up in a suburb right next to Chicago. No one, as far as I knew, had guns. Then I moved to farm country and was scared ****less that all my neighbors had guns. If only one of them had taken me out to the range 20 years ago.................
People Like This 
Old 04-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1378 Posts
Likes Given: 14837

Well , to be quite honest , I was the black sheep of my family. My mother , brother , sisters , aunts , uncles and my nut-zoid father (bible in one hand , and something to beat me with in the other) , where all reborn Christians.!

I was about six years old and came home from the library to see some strange crap.! My aunt Liz was flopping around on the floor like a fish out a water and me , being curious at all times asked.! WTF is that ? Mom said "Shhhhh., it,s a miracle.! She speaking tongues , words from GOD himself . Sounded like , well , unlike anything I,d heard !

I sat back and waited for the spectacle to end and all , about 13 in all stood around and waited also . The show had ended and they he'd helped her up and OK , what did GOD SAY.? Well nobody knows.! WHAAAAT.? What do you mean nobody knows , I should a called 911 like I was gonna.,! I got severely punished for doubting..! These people were crazy in my eyes ! What kind of miracle is this that nobody knows what he said ? Well , GOD told me to buy guns , a motor cycle and get the hell away from you people as soon as I am able..! I did exactly that and am still the Black sheep.! Who would a thunk..?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
nut-zoid father (bible in one hand , and something to beat me with in the other) ,
I'm so sorry. We don't get to choose our families. What a helluva way to grow up.
dango Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm so sorry. We don't get to choose our families. What a helluva way to grow up.
Hell , I ended up damn funny and good person . Them people , over fifty years and still praying for me ..! I,m gonna get me a T-shrt printed up saying ( I,m OK , you,re a reborn Christian) ..!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4550 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 4691

Wow Dango, that sounds like a pretty crazy upbringing. Interesting that My Mom and Dad were not believers but they didnt teach us not to believe either and I turned out to be a Christian, you got the opposite and your Christian faith was ruined by it. Im sorry to hear that, we arent all bad (Christians) and I almost never slam my bible and leave the tongues speaking to others, I have a hard enough time with English! Unfortunately, many believers of many things go way overboard for their "Causes" and lose the flock in the process.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Wow Dango, that sounds like a pretty crazy upbringing. Interesting that My Mom and Dad were not believers but they didnt teach us not to believe either and I turned out to be a Christian, you got the opposite and your Christian faith was ruined by it. Im sorry to hear that, we arent all bad (Christians) and I almost never slam my bible and leave the tongues speaking to others, I have a hard enough time with English! Unfortunately, many believers of many things go way overboard for their "Causes" and lose the flock in the process.
My father was the only mean one . The rest of them are loving but not my cup of tea..! All they do is preach , give me a break..! Can,t carry on a normal conversation without them preaching at me . They ask me what I,ve been doing so I tell them , in vivid detail..! They don,t ask any more ..!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
My father was the only mean one . The rest of them are loving but not my cup of tea..! All they do is preach , give me a break..! Can,t carry on a normal conversation without them preaching at me . They ask me what I,ve been doing so I tell them , in vivid detail..! They don,t ask any more ..!
You are terrible. ROFLMAO..............

Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #40

Liked 259 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

Way to go Winds!! I grew up around them so I realy have never seen or meet the other side until my second wife she was against them period. Grew up in socal the only folks with guns are gangsters so she thought.
Well me being a country boy and putting food on the table and watching our kids with there first can pop from a 22lr the joy on there face's changed it all for her.