Undoing some of the damage I have done.... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Undoing some of the damage I have done....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 919 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 670

She is welcome to hunt with me and my youngest son in November.

USMC 74-78

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5697 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 5106

Well done, WOC. Indeed!

Winston Churchill

Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
She is welcome to hunt with me and my youngest son in November.

ROFLMAO......she is on her way here to have Easter dinner. I'll have to show her those pictures. Heck, if she doesn't want to go hunting with him, I will.

And didn't I already talk to you about posting those shirtless pictures of your son?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I am a firm believer that people who are "afraid" of guns simply have not had any (or the proper) exposure to them. I raised my two daughters to respect firearms. They got their first guns (.22 rifles) by the time they turned 10. It would have been sooner, but they were ambilvalent about owning a gun as dad had plenty to shoot.

Kids have a natural curiosity about EVERYTHING. I have seen the tragic results of trying to shield kids from guns. They WILL get into them. Sometimes only once.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I am a firm believer that people who are "afraid" of guns simply have not had any (or the proper) exposure to them. I raised my two daughters to respect firearms. They got their first guns (.22 rifles) by the time they turned 10. It would have been sooner, but they were ambilvalent about owning a gun as dad had plenty to shoot.

Kids have a natural curiosity about EVERYTHING. I have seen the tragic results of trying to shield kids from guns. They WILL get into them. Sometimes only once.
That is exactly it. I never had any experience with any firearms. I did shoot my BIL's guns on his farm once many years ago but that was a one time deal.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Winds you are an inspiration. When My brother and his wife adopted their son I "only half jokingly" informed my sister-in-law that it would be my job as uncle to teach him to spit, fart, drive too fast, use foul language, shoot, be a carpenter, work on cars, in general be a self sufficient human being who will have enough basic knowledge to function in a world that is trying to part him from his hard earned money.

The one thing my brother can teach him, and it is the most important lesson a young man can learn is that nobody is going to give it too you. You got to earn it.

My brother has none of the skills mentioned in the first paragraph except maybe the foul language one. We did not come from money but my brother put himself through colege as a chemistry major. When He graduated he had 1 loan for $1200 for 4 years of college. Medical school was a different story, massive loans, now paid off after 20 years.

If you met him out of his office you would not know he is a doctor. He still drives a 94 jeep all summer and a only slightly newer honda accord in the winter.

I sorta started rambling, but my point is you teach what you can and hope like hell your kid is learning the things you don't know from someone who does. instead of someone who is holding a job and nothing more.

A small example of this is my brothers insistance on manners by his son. He remembers ( I don't) other parents complimenting mom and dad on how well mannered and polite we boys were when we were young. We were very polite but I don't remember comments about it. He is determined to get those same compliments about his son.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #17

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Winds.
You've come a long way. And I can understand you kids feelings towards you about guns. You did a good job of turning them against - and now... the opposite. But ... people, and parents, are not infallible. And so change happens. The kids will have to realize there is no perfection.

A story:
I have a female friend who had been terrified of guns for many years. There were none in her family growing up. But - she later married a cop. Now there was a gun. The cop turned bad. He beat her, choked her- threatened her - and with the gun. Threatened her kid from a previous marriage with "a drug find" in the kid's car (you know how the police all have access to all sorts of drugs) if she didn't do what he told her (keep her mouth shut is the jist of it) or even considered trying to go to authorities or a lawyer. She was extremely trapped.
He played politics to the hilt and was just about to become county sheriff when his awful temper got the best of him. He put his gun to the head of a fellow female deputy sheriff. That got the department"s attention. Just before the election to make him county sheriff. He was then "convinced" to take a medical retirement.
She was then able to go to lawyers and get a divorce.

This is a very common practice with cops caught going bad in this region anyway. They almost always are reported in the press as seeing doctors and then retired - before their case makes it to court - and the charges are then dropped. Manipulation of the system - and the good ol' boy network working. With full medical retirement! When actually they should have been fired and in many cases sent to prison! Many cases around here - I take notice in the news now - after she told me her story... She knows and has known many cops.

But she was still terrified of guns when I met her. I was not big into shooting at that time - a couple of years ago. I used to shoot years ago but had not for years. I showed her my old guns. She gingerly handled them. But she told me that every man she had ever been connected with (friends, boyfriends, ... ) had always told her she was just a dumb girl and couldn't shoot. She even asked to go shooting with a previous boyfriend who went all the time - same story - too dumb. She really had a complex about this - feeling she was too dumb!!!

I took her shooting. Taught her how. She did very well. She decided she wanted to go for ccw permit. She signed up for the course. I decided I better go with her (I didn't have ccw - hadn't shot for years!). I signed up. I saw no one in the class better than her - at the range - she did so well!

She bought her first gun - a Colt Trooper 357. This whole thing really boosted her confidence! At first she slept with the gun under her pillow (unloaded). She said it made her feel better. She still has deep feelings of insecurity from that disastrous marriage.

Well, since I now had my ccw, I decided I needed a real conceal defense type gun. My old cowboy guns were hardly that. I bought a Smith 38 revolver - Airweight. And after a bad experience with a Taurus (I thought that was a car!!) I settled on an LCP. Very good conceal gun for me! Then a couple more - you know how it goes.
But, since she and I range shot together, she decided on the Airweight and the LCP, too! She is not good with semi-autos and slides - strength issues so she mostly carries the Smith Airweight 38 now, though she sees the Ruger as a good small conceal - in certain situations. But she also bought an M&P22 for target practice!
She's come a long way!!

So... it's a long - kinda painful story. But people can change.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #18

Liked 2456 Times on 1593 Posts

Well done, winds. All I can add is to consider the savage rascal to the chipmunk. The rascal has that sweet accutrigger and a peep rear sight, it cost me $155. Yes, it comes in pink.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Well done, winds. All I can add is to consider the savage rascal to the chipmunk. The rascal has that sweet accutrigger and a peep rear sight, it cost me $155. Yes, it comes in pink.
I'll look into that. Is it a bolt action?

Never mind. I just Googled it and saw that it is a bolt action.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #20

Liked 2456 Times on 1593 Posts

Single shot. I put a scope on it, by request, but haven't shot it with the scope. Using the peep sight, I had most of my shots almost touching at 20 yards.

Feral cat waterboarder