Undeterred Somali pirates hijack 4 more ships - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Undeterred Somali pirates hijack 4 more ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Errol Flynn wouldn't take that s**t.

I second Blackwater.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #12

"cpttango-I few Mk19 MOD-4 on the aft end of the ship ought to make them starvin Marvin muther effers think twice about trying to bored a ship. I mean how hard is it to lob a few 40mm HE grenades at these mfers. If you start killing them and not NATO UN ***** footing around talking to them they will stop. Or hey just stop shipping to and from that area. Piss on them. "

The last time in I was in Baghdad I had the pleasure of listening to a MK-19 being fired from a Specter and watching the rounds rain hell on a building across the road from us. I can guarantee an MK-19 would get the pirates attention VERY quickly : )

Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is this something l.ike what you guys are talking about?

MK19 40mm Machine Gun, MOD 3
The MK19 Mod3 40mm Grenade Machine Gun was first developed by the Navy in the early 1960's. TACOM-ARDEC has since suggested modifications to this system which has enabled the Army to deploy the MK19 in the harsh environments encountered during world-wide operations and has therefore enhanced its performance. The MK19 firing rate is over 350 grenades per minute and it is effective to ranges of over 2200 meters. The system was deployed in Southwest Asia during Operation Desert Storm and devastated enemy infantry.

Manufacturer: Saco Defense Industries
Length: 43.1 inches (109.47 centimeters)
Weight:
Gun: 72.5 pounds (32.92 kilograms)
Cradle (MK64 Mod 5): 21.0 pounds (9.53 kilograms)
Tripod: 44.0 pounds (19.98 kilograms)
Total: 137.5 pounds (62.43 kilograms)
Muzzle velocity: 790 feet (240.69 meters) per second
Bore diameter: 40mm
Maximum range: 2200 meters
Maximum effective range: 1600 meters
Rates of fire:
Cyclic: 325-375 rounds per minute
Rapid: 60 rounds per minute
Sustained: 40 rounds per minute
Unit Replacement Cost: $13,758

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The MK-19 isn't man portable, at least, not easily. Too cumbersome and too expensive.

Equip each ship with a couple of these bad boys and a box of "eggs"

M-32 40mm Grenade Launcher. Can deliver all 6 rounds in under 3 seconds.

launcher.jpg  

Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The MK-19 isn't man portable, at least, not easily. Too cumbersome and too expensive.

Equip each ship with a couple of these bad boys and a box of "eggs"

M-32 40mm Grenade Launcher. Can deliver all 6 rounds in under 3 seconds.

That would be better than mounted machine guns on a merchant ship. It can be hidden away and grabbed before the slime gets near the ship.

A merchant ship fitted with mounted guns is no longer a merchant ship. Merchant ships travel to many ports in many countries. I'm not sure how receptive some ports would be to gun ships docking in their ports regularly.
Also, if the pirates are able to take a merchant ship with mounted guns, then they will have a gun ship in their arsenal.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
That would be better than mounted machine guns on a merchant ship. It can be hidden away and grabbed before the slime gets near the ship.

A merchant ship fitted with mounted guns is no longer a merchant ship. Merchant ships travel to many ports in many countries. I'm not sure how receptive some ports would be to gun ships docking in their ports regularly.
Also, if the pirates are able to take a merchant ship with mounted guns, then they will have a gun ship in their arsenal.

If they don't like guns mounted on ships then they don't like the products I carry on my ship. Go piss up a rope is what I tell them.

If I was a ship captain that has to go in to that area I am going to be armed to the teeth. Weather you effing like it or not. I am going to have MG grenades if I can get them and what ever else I can get my hands on legal or not.

Either way if you place a simple pintal mount on the aft of the ship or 2 or 3 or 4 then you can store the mk19 in a close by storage area along with lots and lots of ammo. When you are going into hostile waters you pull them out and man then 24/7. When you don't need them put them away. $13 K for a mk-19 is cheaper than hiring blackwater douche bags to ride along and eat up my food.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If they don't like guns mounted on ships then they don't like the products I carry on my ship. Go piss up a rope is what I tell them.

If I was a ship captain that has to go in to that area I am going to be armed to the teeth. Weather you effing like it or not. I am going to have MG grenades if I can get them and what ever else I can get my hands on legal or not.

Either way if you place a simple pintal mount on the aft of the ship or 2 or 3 or 4 then you can store the mk19 in a close by storage area along with lots and lots of ammo. When you are going into hostile waters you pull them out and man then 24/7. When you don't need them put them away. $13 K for a mk-19 is cheaper than hiring blackwater douche bags to ride along and eat up my food.
Good points, tango.

I am all for arming the ships, and if I owned a shipping company, I would arm them as an insurance policy. All I was saying is that there is a reason why merchant ships are not armed as a rule. That may change now.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #18

There is already a host of non lethal devices that you could outfit your standard cargo vessel with and be in full compliance.

High Intensity Strobe Lights - Mac tested these on Future Weapons.
Ultra High Frequency noise machines - Mac tested these on Future Weapons as well.
High Density Super Slick foam, oil, or other "semi bio degradeable component"
Hell, even some extension cords, a high voltage capacitor and a couple of slabs of chain link fencing.

Those options are not going to get to the heart of the problem and still be within compliance.

As for not being able to dock, well, if you don't own the company, you can't really make that call. If your employer decides he is docking in some third world shi'ite hole and picking up goods, then you are getting paid to do that. *shrug*

Portable, and easily stowable, weapons would be my first choice...

JD

Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #19

How's 'bout balloons filled with pig blood? Watercannons filled with pig blood, too. Coat 'em in swine blood and shoot 'em in the head. Leave their friends to take them back and tell what happened. The actual Muslims would not want join the pirate groups, no matter the money involved.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #20

^^^ That's not bad S.C.

That's a hell of an idea actually, but these are Somali's - are we sure they are Muslim? Or just meddling, pains in the rear?

I like that though - Diabolical and OH SO VERY to the point of the matter....

Nice!

JD