Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Under-paid LEO's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. I would rather go into a dark warehouse in search of an armed suspect, by myself (oh wait, I've done that), than go skydiving.
Speaking for those of us on the ground, i fully support this decision.

"It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a giant dropping ginger...RUN..." LOL

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I bet its not cheap, wonder how the thousands of Military folks working in the Pentagon afford it. The Majors and above probably not bad nbut Buck Sgt and below gotta suck, especially with a family. We have military living in the most expensive and the cheapest places in the nation.
And many of those fine folks receive a housing allowance or access to on-base housing (the smart choice in DC, according to a cousin of mine who was supposed to be working the Pentagon during 9/11, thank goodness for sick kids). I haven't seen where police receive a housing allowance or on-base housing, but that could make up some of the pay difference in high-rent areas like DC and NYC.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #23

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Under-paid LEO's,

You damn right ALL are!!!

My job sucks azz,its very hazardous,very manual laborious (commission work),ect... doesnt pay to well sometimes 500 a week

Now say if someone was to hire me,told me i was going to make more money than all the Sadus put together, & I get to carry a gun & wear a uniform.

I would have to say not no but HELL NO!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I will say that I am not underpaid. I make a reasonable living after 28 years. When I started there were some very lean times. I am considering retiring in two years. My retirement pay will be about 95% of my current salary, but I have to pay for my own insurance. I can honestly say I do not do it for the money (as is the case with the vast majority of the public service/military personnel). I do it because it is a calling. My chosen proffession brings me uncalculable satisfaction. I truly love my job. There is NO WAY I could be a "suit". 9-5 has zero attraction for me, even at twice the pay.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #25

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Thank you, robocop10mm for your services....carpe diem sir.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #26
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5672 Times on 2809 Posts
Likes Given: 6035

I also truly appreciate your service RC, I know that it comes with great hardship and stress for both you and your family. I think in some ways it might be easier to leave your family for a year and a half than do it every day.

I hope your retirement is great, 28 years is a long time to be on that job. My hopes spring eternal for the day when those who serve us risking life and limb will all be treated and compensated at least in a manner that shows an appreciation for the sacrifices Warriors in the sandbox and the beat deserve.

Sorry if I was a bit over-reactive, you will have that on these big jobs...

Old 09-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #27

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I bet its not cheap, wonder how the thousands of Military folks working in the Pentagon afford it. The Majors and above probably not bad nbut Buck Sgt and below gotta suck, especially with a family. We have military living in the most expensive and the cheapest places in the nation.

NY's retirement plans are somewhat sound at the moment but districts, (Mostly cities) in NY are nearing bankruptcy, Utica and Syracuse are both sucking wind. Our budgets keep increasing yet our population is decreasing. Its not the poor leaving, its the MCers and the Rich. Im not under any illusion that the Feds will ever pay our Military what they deserve or even close but Im pretty sure a SFC deserves to earn more than a custodian.

I agree with that! Civilian pay changes based on local cost of living, but that's the sad thing about being in the military, a person gets the same pay regardless of where he's stationed & the cost of living of that local. Of course, seems the cost of living always goes up around a military base. Way back when I was in, rent in El Paso was double what it was in Shreveport where I was raised.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2583 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I agree with that! Civilian pay changes based on local cost of living, but that's the sad thing about being in the military, a person gets the same pay regardless of where he's stationed & the cost of living of that local. Of course, seems the cost of living always goes up around a military base. Way back when I was in, rent in El Paso was double what it was in Shreveport where I was raised.
Yes & no. Base pay is base pay. BAS is BAS. However, BAH levels are driven by locality costs. Is it enough, opinions vary. I do know that it's makes it possible for junior enlisted to have a better shot at finding livable, if not great, housing.
Is it perfect? No. But it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.
E-1 thru E-4 w/ dependents in Shreveport- $ 1107 per month.
E-1 thru E-4 w/ dependents in El Paso- $1038 per month.

http://images.military.com/media/benefits/pdf/bah-2012-with.pdf
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #29

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Recruits in my town, during academy make a little under 39,000 a year.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.