Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ultra sonic cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Ultra sonic cleaning

I think it was JD that mentioned a ultra sonic cleaner for parts and my tool dealer also mentioned one today for a different application and got me thinking about one. How many of you use one and what is the price range on a decent quality one and should it have a heater??
I have searched the net and found some from $40 -1500 thats a pretty broad range Are they worth the investment and do they do a good job of removing the carbon deposits on the BCG.. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Mine is very similar to this model from Crest Ultrasonic (by way of Brownell's):

Hg575 Ultrasonic Cleaning System Hg575 Ultrasonic System - Sonic System Sales

I don't know what we paid for it. We got a SHOT show special a few years ago and this was a birthday present from the Lady.

I love mine and have yet to find a downside other than it's not wise to put anything with Tritium in there do to the heat.

Removing carbon and fouling from the BCG? Not a problem.

I usually just strip my handguns down and throw everything but the slide and the grips in the tank and crank up the heated cleaner. I add the specialized weapon lube after the cleaning, wipe em down, reassemble with an old T-shirt to soak up any excess and put them back in the safe.

I love it.

Works great on firearms, folding knives, multipliers, any small tools you use in the rain. It's a great labor saver and the weapon lube does a great job of protecting.

John Dillinger would give it 5 out of 5 Banks.

JD

Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I think it was JD that mentioned a ultra sonic cleaner for parts and my tool dealer also mentioned one today for a different application and got me thinking about one. How many of you use one and what is the price range on a decent quality one and should it have a heater??
I have searched the net and found some from $40 -1500 thats a pretty broad range Are they worth the investment and do they do a good job of removing the carbon deposits on the BCG.. Thanks
Order a jar of the Slip2000 carbon remover. Just drop the BCG into the jar and let it soak for a bit. It is amazing.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

+1 on what JD said. I have one of these SharperTek Ultrasonic gun cleaners and couldn't be happier with it's cleaning results on all of my firearms.

SharperTek Heated Ultrasonic Handgun Cleaning Package

Thanks for that tip there on the Slip2000 M14sRock!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That sound like a good thing to have.. I was looking this am and saw cabelas now has em too but I dont think the basket is a big, I guess as long as its big enough for small parts and a BCG than it would be fine.. I am going to do a little more shopping around though. Not sure I want to pay the 5-6 hundred for one. That would be my Kimber solo or a new XDM 3.8 compact

Cabela's: Hornady® Lock-N-Load™ Large Stainless Sonic Cleaner™

Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So upon good advise from you guys I got an ultrasonic cleaner. I picked up one off ebay for $90 shipped. It has a larger tank than the Hornady one and has a heater. So I figured what the he** and tried it thinking if it was no good I could pawn it on C-list as a jewelry cleaner and some dub like me would buy it.

WOW it works great, I have been cleaning gun parts in it with the Hornady gun parts solution and it is awesome! I have also gotten started in relaoding and cleaned some brass in it tonight with the Cartridge case formula, after 5 min they look like brand new cases. They also come out hot so they are dry in minutes.

Thanks for the great help as usual

Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #7

Glad it worked out for you. I still have one in the box I need to get fired up. Just need to get some fluid for it. I'm looking forward to trying it. If I can be lazy on my BCG so be it