Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sammich. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sammich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're on! Don't know when I'll be able to get to it, but I promise my unbiased and honest opinion.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #22

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
You're on! Don't know when I'll be able to get to it, but I promise my unbiased and honest opinion.
If you gents would care to share your cookies I volunteer to be an impartial judge
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
If you gents would care to share your cookies I volunteer to be an impartial judge
Cookies for cupcakes!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Cookies for cupcakes!
No cupcakes here, that's jca1's wife. I tried to mooch a few but no go... I can send you a Tastykake or two...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #25
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8921 Times on 5337 Posts
Likes Given: 11925

Quote:
No cupcakes here, that's jca1's wife. I tried to mooch a few but no go... I can send you a Tastykake or two...
Whoa!!! Take him up on the Tastykake's. Particularly the Butterschotch Krimpets.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Whoa!!! Take him up on the Tastykake's. Particularly the Butterschotch Krimpets.
WOC...are you a Krimpets fan? Tastykake almost went into bankruptcy a few months back...would have been tragic.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #27

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

That is the one thing that eludes me. Basic chocolate chip cookies. I for the life of me can't make them. I get cookies that are as thin as paper a crispy as my mother in laws bacon (She cooks it till it is starting to burn) and taste like crap. I have used shortening, butter, margarine half shortening half butter. Half butter half margarine. I have mixed with hands, hand held beater, food processor, Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I have mixed them for long for short I prebeat the eggs I have not. I have varied the sugar trying different brands, even Sugar in the raw and white sugar alone and mixed. Tried different salts from sea salt to Kosher salt to table salt to pink salt. NOTHING WORKS for me.

I am thinking I must have a cookie stone.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Sorry, the short screen name starting with a "J" threw me!

I've always heard about Tastykakes, but I guess I live too far west!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #29
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8921 Times on 5337 Posts
Likes Given: 11925

Quote:
WOC...are you a Krimpets fan? Tastykake almost went into bankruptcy a few months back...would have been tragic.
I love Tastykakes but can't get theme where I live. Like Lon, I'm too far west and get buy them where I live. But I used to have a friend who would send me a care package every once in a while. I like the chocolate cupcake ones and the Butterscotch Krimpets and the candycakes.........well, you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
That is the one thing that eludes me. Basic chocolate chip cookies. I for the life of me can't make them. I get cookies that are as thin as paper a crispy as my mother in laws bacon (She cooks it till it is starting to burn) and taste like crap. I have used shortening, butter, margarine half shortening half butter. Half butter half margarine. I have mixed with hands, hand held beater, food processor, Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I have mixed them for long for short I prebeat the eggs I have not. I have varied the sugar trying different brands, even Sugar in the raw and white sugar alone and mixed. Tried different salts from sea salt to Kosher salt to table salt to pink salt. NOTHING WORKS for me.

I have pretty good success with chocolate chip cookies but I LOVE Oatmeal Scotchies and they always come out tissue paper thin and I can't figure out why. Like you, Tango, I've tried different things, cooked a minute or two longer, a minute or two shorter, a touch more flour, a little more baking soda, following the recipe to a "T", etc. They look ugly but they still taste good. And I do have a stone. Doesn't make any difference to my forlorn Oatmeal Scotchies.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

Do you "rest" the dough in the fridge for a few hours before baking? Also, do not overbeat the dough mix to the point of trapping lots of air, it will release when baking and flatten the cookies...