Ugliest and Best Vehicle You Ever Owned! - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ugliest and Best Vehicle You Ever Owned!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #101
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
My coolest was a '77 Trans Am. Had every option but the T-tops and was special ordered without the bird on the hood.

The original owner was 30ish secretary whose husband worked with my dad. She was scared to death of it, I don't think she ever had it on the interstate. Of course her husband being a nice guy would "volunteer" every sat afternoon to take it out and fill the gas tank "so she wouldn't have to worry about it Monday morning". Back then we referred to this as " blowing the carbon out".

He ordered it without the T-tops because this was the second or third year for them and they were still notorious for leaking. And he thought the bird on the hood was just gaudy. He had waxed and polished this car so much in the 5 years he owned it that the primer was starting to show through the paint.
IIRC, it was the second year. until late 1978, they were not done at the factory but were dealer installed by selected companies. so if you odered a car with T-tops, they were still solid roofed cars when they arrived at the dealership. the two most common T-top kits used by the dealerships were Hurst Hatches and American T-Tops. and yes, Hurst Hatches was the same company that made the shifters! the factory installed T-tops were much better made and less prone to leaking.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #102

Liked 748 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IIRC, it was the second year. until late 1978, they were not done at the factory but were dealer installed by selected companies. so if you odered a car with T-tops, they were still solid roofed cars when they arrived at the dealership. the two most common T-top kits used by the dealerships were Hurst Hatches and American T-Tops. and yes, Hurst Hatches was the same company that made the shifters! the factory installed T-tops were much better made and less prone to leaking.
Did you know there was a Hurst package for the Scout?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #103

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Did you know there was a Hurst package for the Scout?
That's awesome

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #104

Liked 2021 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I hate t-tops and sunroofs. They're going to leak. Guaranteed. There's nothing you can do about it, spend all the money you want but it's still going to leak and cause rust. Not to mention the rotting interiors it causes.
If you want sun, buy a convertible. Replace the top every 5 years, and you're good.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Last edited by boatme98; 10-18-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #105
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1605 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 8466

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
I hate t-tops and sunroofs. They're going to leak. Guaranteed. There's nothing you can do about it, spend all the money you want but it's still going to leak and cause rust. Not to mention the rotting interiors it causes.
If you want sun, buy a convertible. Replace the top every 5 years, and you're good.
Not all of them do. I have installed 3 sunroofs, all of which were used junk yard finds, and none of them leaked. You just have to remember to measure about 3 times after you think you have the placement right, and get the right sealant the first time. The first one I did was in my own car, and the only thing I did wrong was I installed it about 1/16th inch off center (slightly closer to the passenger door). The other 2 were done for a close friend, and he is still enjoying one of them 12 years after it was installed.

T-tops, I won't even think about getting a car with them installed. More trouble than they are worth.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #106

Liked 2021 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Kfox, you might have had some luck doing customs but I have never seen a factory sunroof that didn't leak after about 12 years. Even when they've been resealed and new drains installed, they're still rot factories.
I'm sorry but you just shouldn't poke holes sheet steel. It's corrosion waiting to happen.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #107
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
the crappiest car I ever had was a 81 Coupe Deville with the 4-6-8 V8.It was actually a nice looking car,but my God,it sucked gas,was gutless,always broke down.One time the fuel pump went out on me on the way to Denver.Ugliest would be my Dodge Omni GLH Turbo ,but it was actually a cool lil car,and fast.
Coolest car would be my 72 Duster with a 360 I still own today.Due to ridiculous gas prices,It's not driven much
Oh yes, the joys of owning a Caddy with the 368 cubic inch V8-6-4 injection. i had an 81 Coupe deville , mine was silver,for about 6 months before I got fed up with trying to fix the issues caused by the variable displacement system. I paid $100 for it, and I sold it to a college student for $500. He wound up junking it after he graduated. He only used it to get back and forth between classes, home and work for his last 2 semesters so he wouldn't rack up the miles on the Saab his folks leased for him.

I have to ask, did you have any problems with the charging system on yours? i put a brand new battery, starter, alternator, and voltage regulator in mine, and I always had to plug mine into a trickle charger at night or I would wind up with a dead battery by 17:00 hours the next day.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #108
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Kfox, you might have had some luck doing customs but I have never seen a factory sunroof that didn't leak after about 12 years. Even when they've been resealed and new drains installed, they're still rot factories.
I'm sorry but you just shouldn't poke holes sheet steel. It's corrosion waiting to happen.
True. I have smelled my share of rolling mold cultures while out car shopping, and yes, most of them did have t-tops or a sun\moonroof.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #109

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Oh yes, the joys of owning a Caddy with the 368 cubic inch V8-6-4 injection. i had an 81 Coupe deville , mine was silver,for about 6 months before I got fed up with trying to fix the issues caused by the variable displacement system. I paid $100 for it, and I sold it to a college student for $500. He wound up junking it after he graduated. He only used it to get back and forth between classes, home and work for his last 2 semesters so he wouldn't rack up the miles on the Saab his folks leased for him.

I have to ask, did you have any problems with the charging system on yours? i put a brand new battery, starter, alternator, and voltage regulator in mine, and I always had to plug mine into a trickle charger at night or I would wind up with a dead battery by 17:00 hours the next day.
YES
the problem I had with it was after driving it for awhile,I would turn it off,go do what I had to do,come back to the car and when I tried to start it,click,click,click.Even when jumping it it wouldn't start.But get this,after letting it sit for an hour ,it would start right up.I could never figure out why it did that!Even after putting in a new starter,battery cables, it still did the same thing.Oh,and sometimes the heater would go on and off whenever it felt like it.After the fuel pump went out,I said forget it and sold it.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #110

Liked 748 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 820

My grandmother has a 1977 Corvette with the original T-tops and they dont leak.... (Its in Ohio, so it actually sees rain..)

The bikini top on my Scout is from the 80's and its just barely starting to come apart.

Here in AZ... Its the plastic that always rots first...