Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx first impressions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx first impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx first impressions

Alright, so I know this is not a computer forum, but hey, if you're in the market for a free operating system that will rock your socks off, take a look at Ubuntu. I recently upgraded my work computer to the 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support) version and it absolutely rocks! Clean, dark interface. Button configuration arrayed to help Mac users switch. Much better handling of dual screens. Simple monotone icons in the task bar.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Give it a whirl! You can download, burn to a CD, and try it out directly from the CD.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The problem I have with linux is wifi. My wifi card does not support linux and 3com will not release driver/hardware specs to linux developers.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I used Jaunty Jackolope for a while on one of my laptops. Once you get the miltiverse and the like down it's a pretty nice OS. I've not tried the newer one(s) yet. The laptop I did use it on puled up on me and I have not replaced it yet. Worked pretty goods on my Wireless N router though

Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks for the heads-up, Thor. I'm running an old version of Red Hat on my primary system at home that has been customized beyond all recognition. I've heard good things about Ubuntu and I'm building another system, and this is probably what I'll put on it.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The problem I have with linux is wifi. My wifi card does not support linux and 3com will not release driver/hardware specs to linux developers.
Try the Live CD and see if it recognizes your wifi card!

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!