U.s.post-office..... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > U.s.post-office.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Now they want to only Deliver on Monday -Wednesday -Friday......
Road Racing World is delivered on the second Wednesday of each month. I get what I want and they get what they want.
It's a win-win to me.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I check my mail once a week or so. The POs big problem (like so many govt agencies) is the retirement payments to all those folks after 20 yrs.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Freefall, the USPS is just like every other Government agency.....Retirement at 55 with 30 years to be fully vested and receive 60% of base salary. There are ways to retire early with a reduced annuity, but it is usually not enough to live on.

Now disability retirements are another story!!!

The Postal Service has been unable to change it's way of business largely due to Governmental regulations. They couldn't move as quickly as the privately held corporations like UPS and FedX. No body, except my Mother (Bless her heart) writes letters or sends a card (Other than on Christmas, Anniversaries, or Birthdays) anymore, and the internet is definitely cutting into their business.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8598

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I check my mail once a week or so. The POs big problem (like so many govt agencies) is the retirement payments to all those folks after 20 yrs.
This is correct. There is a woman in my town who started working for the post office shortly after high school. She was able to 'retire' at the age of 42or so. She went to college, got a degree and started a whole new career. I must say, I was a little jealous but happy for her. Yes, she got full retirement after 20 years of service with the PO.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #15

OK, here is a link to the PDF on Civil Service Retirements http://www.postalmag.com/images/retirement1.pdf, the type of retirement and age/time in service requirements ar listed in the table.

Notice the * indicating the annuity is reduced if the retiree is under age 55 if electing an Early Retirement you may be 50 with 20 years of service. Under Optional, you have to be 60 with 20 years, but it is still only 2% per year of service or 40% of your base pay.

Retirements are paid by the Office of Personnel Mismangement (OPM) and supported by your tax dollars as an unfunded liability.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8598

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
OK, here is a link to the PDF on Civil Service Retirements http://www.postalmag.com/images/retirement1.pdf, the type of retirement and age/time in service requirements ar listed in the table.

Notice the * indicating the annuity is reduced if the retiree is under age 55 if electing an Early Retirement you may be 50 with 20 years of service. Under Optional, you have to be 60 with 20 years, but it is still only 2% per year of service or 40% of your base pay.

Retirements are paid by the Office of Personnel Mismangement (OPM) and supported by your tax dollars as an unfunded liability.
Thanks. I must have misunderstood her, then. She did have a husband earning a good living so she must have took the early retirement opportunity to go back to school. I notice most of the PO employees in our town stay FOREVER.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I pay very few bills online. I actually get satisfaction from putting my bills in the mail and letting them travel the "old fashioned" way. I hope the USPS doesn't go the way of the Do-do bird.....

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #18

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The postal workers here in Michigan seem to have a bad attitude and complain a lot.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #19

Liked 735 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 785

I hope the USPS stay too... The other carriers cost more, and I hate FedEx to the point I refuse to order from companys that only offer it.. It seems they can never find my house and I ether have to pay for shipping twice (cause they send it back) Or cancel my order and lose out on shipping anyways.. It shouldnt be my fault that they cant find my house, thats their job!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #20

Here is another victim of the Web. Borders books, Borders Express and Waldon Books will be closing their doors 7/31/11. The CEO of Borders stated the Economy, the advent of E-Books had been the breaking point for sales and they are no longer able to stay solvent.

If you want books in print, you better get them!! Come SHTF and no World Wide Web.Whatever, you'll have to read that same old magazine over and over.