U.s.post-office.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > U.s.post-office.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Default U.s.post-office.....

The U.S.POST-OFFICE was going to stop Saturday Delivery of the Mail...Now they want to only Deliver on Monday -Wednesday -Friday.....What happened to stopping only Saturday Delivery...I think they should stop Saturday Delivery,but Tuesday and Thursday also...WOW...Our Country really is BROKE-$$$-.........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Makes sense to me. In the big picture, what difference does it make whether I get my Geico ads and my bills on Tuesday or on Wednesday?....

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

USPS is one of the few govt. agencies that I support!
Been doing a good job since I can remember!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

The issue with the USPS is that it is a self-sustained, non-profit government agency. It lies in a limbo-land in between the public and private sectors.

It is not funded by taxes or the government. It is wholly supported by charging for its services. By Federal mandate (law) it is NEVER ALLOWED TO MAKE A PROFIT. That is why postage rates only increased by a penny or two and did so frequently. The USPS was never allowed to anticipate future needs and proactively raise rates above current needs. They were always financially in the hole.

Modern telecommunications including the internet and email has crushed the USPS's ability to sustain its current service level. It is a dinosaur and the internet was a huge asteroid. Don't bemoan the fall of the USPS, since you are reading this post on the internet and not insisting on paying to receive a flyer through your mailbox, you have helped in its demise.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Always complaining!

What's wrong with the price of stamps?

$.44; $.04 for delivery and $.40 for storage.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7664 Times on 4606 Posts
Likes Given: 9579

I think the PO is suffering because so many people pay bills online and email each other that the need for snail mail is greatly decreased. Therefore, they are losing money, I believe. I bought a whole bunch of those 'forever stamps' a long time ago when postage was something like 41 cents. I just think people aren't using the postal service as much any more because of email and internet bill paying.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

USPS is big and bloated. It's demise was brought on both by its inability to compete with private carriers and it's strange status in the government. Should it exist and compete against private companies or is it more like a utility? You know that stereotype about the surly postal employee? I thought it was until I went to the Pembroke Pines branch some years ago and had one of the meanest, nastiest persons give me a massive attitude when I asked him about tracking the package. Apparently the USPS doesn't do that and wtf was I doing asking? So yeah, I'll use UPS, Fedex or DHL..

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #8

Liked 1843 Times on 956 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

The USPO did too little too late.

I remember when Federal Express’ service was providing overnight delivery of stock proxies and time sensitive documents like that. Then the FAX machine was invented. Fedx saw the handwriting on the wall, as did the other overnight services, and moved into package delivery. UPS stepped up its game in response. I think this is about when the USPO thought maybe they should accept credit cards, and introduced Priority Mail and self-stick stamps.

Now they’ve got nothing to do but deliver catalogs and appeals for contributions, which go straight into the recycling bin. And it pisses me off that that’s what the trees are being cut down for.

Yes there are communities that wouldn’t have postal service otherwise. The ones so far out in the sticks that they don’t get a lot of things. Somehow I think that’s why they live there. At least some them anyway. Off the grid and all that.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #9

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

I always spend a ton at the post office, they shouldnt be having any problems at all!
I send a bunch of stuff on ebay and I find the USPS is often much cheaper than other carriers..

Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #10

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

They lost something like $8 billion last year. If every other day service would help cut that loss, I'm all for it. I only check the mail every few days anyway.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson