Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr

WSMV.com

Plant Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday
More Than Half Of Tyson Plant's Workforce Muslim

POSTED: 12:18 pm CDT August 1, 2008
UPDATED: 6:29 pm CDT August 1, 2008
SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. -- Some workers at a local plant will no longer to be able to take their Labor Day holiday because of religious reasons.

Survey: Drop Labor Day? | Scroll Below To Post Your Comments | Video

Workers at the Tyson Foods poultry processing plant in Shelbyville will no longer have a paid day off on Labor Day but will instead be granted the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr.

According to a news release from the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, a new five-year contract at the plant included the change to accommodate Muslim workers at the plant.

Tyson's director of media relations Gary Mickelson said the contract includes eight paid holidays -- the same number as the old contract.

Eid al-Fitr -- which falls on Oct. 1 this year -- marks the end of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting.

Union leaders said implementing the holiday was important for the nearly 700 Muslims, many of them Somalis, who work at the plant that employs a total of 1,200 people.

Nineteen-year plant veteran William Pentecost doesn’t agree with the decision.

"I don’t think it's right. I really don't think it's right," he said.

Tyson company spokeswoman Libby Lawson said by phone that, "This isn't a religious accommodation, this is a contractual agreement. The majority asked for it."

The change didn’t bother some workers.

"I think it's fine. I don’t have any problem with it. There's a whole bunch of them here, so they've got to do something for them," said worker John Smith.

"It shouldn't happen. I mean, I think, we're in America, you're in America, I think that they should go with our holidays," Pentecost said.

Channel 4's Cynthia Williams could not reach any of the plant’s Muslim workers, because Channel 4 News' crew was not permitted on the property.

Former employee and Shelbyville resident Anthony Proctor said he thinks what's happening is wrong.

He said he helped build a special Muslim prayer room that's located inside the plant and that no other Tyson facility has been that accommodating for any other religion.

"If we want to go pray, we don’t have one for Christians," he said.

Tyson is headquartered in Arkansas.

Lawson said they consider religious accommodations on a case-by-case basis. She said that so far, no one has asked for any other type of religious prayer room.

No one at the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union’s regional office answered phone calls placed by Williams on Friday.

A representative in New York said that no one there knew specifics about the new contract with the workers, but a person in research told Williams that holidays aren't usually replaced and are more likely to be added on.

The decision will only apply to workers at the plant who are union members. All other employees at the plant will still have their normal Labor Day holiday.

Watch Channel 4 News at 5:00 p.m. for a full report on this story. WSMV talks to at 19-year veteran employee of the plant to get his thoughts.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/17063986/detail.html#-

"This is America, founded by the blood of our forefathers and should not be challenged by Somalians, Hispanics, or any other immigrants. If they come to America, they need to learn our language and our ways. They can practice their culture in private if they so please, but not shove it down our throats. Would they let us go there and change there country? I have banned Tyson's products from my home for years because of the illegals they were hiring. I am sorry for the producers that are supplying them, but Tyson's has once again crossed the line with the American people. Labor Day was here long before Tyson's. What holiday will be next to be taken away and replaced to accommodate an immigrant. This stinks worse than the plant," said another anonymous forum participant.

"Disgusting ... appalling ... horrifying ... there just aren't enough words to describe this situation. There will never be another Tyson product in my home EVER!! Bedford County and the rest of the nation needs to take notice. Is this what we are coming to?" said another.

A Muslim website says the holiday is a "joyous three-day celebration" that concludes Ramadan, during which Muslims fast during the day.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the national holiday dates from Sept. 5, 1882, and is "dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=...mp;pageId=71218

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Tyson is also a big supporter of illegal aliens. I've been boycotting them a couple years since I found out about that. This just reinforces that a boycott of their products isn't a bad idea.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Tyson is also a big supporter of illegal aliens. I've been boycotting them a couple years since I found out about that. This just reinforces that a boycott of their products isn't a bad idea.
+1 on that idea. This is the first I am hearing of this treachery, but you can count me in.

I find it hard to believe that the people that started Tyson Foods had this in mind for their legacy....

Can you imagine the upheaval if the situation was reversed and 700 of us went to Contract Management with a request to dump some Somali/Muslim Holy Day in favor of Christmas?!

Not Cool Tyson! *Arm Gesture*

JD

Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #4

Yep, no more Tyson products here either.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd buy bacon from Tyson.

see what I did there?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'd buy bacon from Tyson.

see what I did there?
LOL - That's funny....

JD

Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is another example of the leftist inclusion and cultural betrayal/giveaway that is rapidly destroying America!

Of course there will be no more Tyson products in our home.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
This is another example of the leftist inclusion and cultural betrayal/giveaway that is rapidly destroying America!

Of course there will be no more Tyson products in our home.
I Agree................

Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #9

On one hand, the idea of letting people take a religious holiday is good, imo. But on the other hand, I don't think that they should have dumped Labor Day for it. America started on religious freedom (leading to religious persecutions from those recently freed), but it's also America. Speak English, Get a Job, Support Yourself and Your Family if you can, and quit ruirnin' my life! (That's a radio allusion for those who are confused).

I didn't know Tyson hired illegal immigrants. Seriously, shouldn't that itself be illegal? Eh. Not a fan of their chicken anyway.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post
I didn't know Tyson hired illegal immigrants. Seriously, shouldn't that itself be illegal? Eh. Not a fan of their chicken anyway.
Tyson Execs Charged in Smuggling Illegal Aliens

Illegal Aliens Jeopardize US Biosecurity -- Tyson openly employs thousands of illegals

There are more articles out there -- google it if you want more info.

Sure, it's illegal. But when the executive branch responsible for enforcing the law tells their guys not to enforce immigration laws, we citizens get screwed.