Two New Areas of Interest
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Two New Areas of Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Two New Areas of Interest

Because we're in the Motherlode, I am interested in a couple of new areas. The first is metal detecting. This area is a trove of good old stuff, so I am thinking about picking up a metal detector. I'd start off by searching our property and then go where I could.

Secondly, this area is rife with interesting rocks and minerals. I attended a Rock and Gemstone show last year and found it very interesting. There's a bunch of geodes in the yard and I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive saw and slicing some open. There's shows up here fairly regularly and it may be a way to pick up a few extra bucks by selling at a show.

So, I'm asking if anybody here is knowledgeable in these areas and if you could provide some input for me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #2

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 245

I had a Metal Detector back in the early eighty's...Back then they where junk..Now they go alot deeper and they make differen't sounds for different metal's...The most I ever found was a Watch and some small coins...I was in my teens and I was into parting with my friends more at the time then I was into taking the time to find something...Now day's I'd find it very interesting to look for things that people lost...I bet you will find alkinds of thinks...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #3

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 889

Are you looking for natural gold or stuff that was left behind? A good start to look for gold would to look up placer gold deposits in your area.
As for the rockhounding I would just get started, find a good rock hammer, and if you want to cut the stones I would do it by hand or if you want to use a powered saw, make sure to keep the stone cool. Many rocks will crack or "pop" when they get hot. (especially crystallized ones..) You can just run water over them. I knew this old guy who used a old tile saw and it worked wonders...
Welcome to a fun hobby, and good hunting!!!

Forgot to add... Have you looked into florescent rocks? I have a buddy into this and there really neat looking and getting popular. You need a shortwave uv light to find the good stuff though...
Starts off slow, but very informative...

Gem show here in Tucson:

Last edited by Trez; 05-26-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot..

Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

GOOD LUCK, I have no experience but share your desire! You got any idea how many Rolex's are lying around the beaches down here? I will be following this adventure!

Best metal detector choices 2010 from Big Valley Metal Detectors. New, used, rentals, accessories.

Metal Detector Reviews -Best Metal Detectors Used Metal Detectors

WHAT IS THE BEST METAL DETECTOR

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV Metal Detector

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver Metal Detector with Bonus Gifts

Metal Detectors & Accessories

Metal Detector Super Store - Kellyco Metal Detectors

As far as cutting stone, I have this saw.

It's a tile wet-saw but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you unless you're talking about cutting a VW Beatle size geode.

Amazon.com: QEP 60087 7-Inch Tile Saw with Water Cooling System: Power & Hand Tools

My son works for the company and supplies (blades) are cheap. (Read: free but I have yet to use-up the first one!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've been doing some research and so far, I like the Garrett Ace 350 and the Fisher F2. The Garrett goes for around $250. and the Fisher for around $200.

It's said that 75% or so of the gold in this area is still out there, so I'll be doing some hiking in the area fer shure.

Thanks for the tip Cane, I'm going to keep my eye on the classifieds and see if I can find a used tile saw. There's a "Trash to Treasures" street sale here on Saturday and I'm going to do some serious looking.

I'll also keep checking Lowe's and Home Despot for a sale on one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Whites Metal Detectors ar the best on the market.

White's Metal Detectors

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #7

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 245

One..GOLD..Ring and the things paid for....I bet there's all kind of things on those Beach's.....

Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've learned that if I want to look for nuggets out in the countryside, I'd need a more specialized and more expensive detector. For now, I'm going to keep things in the lower priced area and buy a detector that's more for finding coins and jewelry and relics.

I'll check out White's while I'm shopping around.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Look around for one of these - MK-100 Wet Tile Saw Kit. Contractors Direct.. Even heavily used ones will still be good. With 2 passes you could cut through an 8" diameter stone.

An old work buddy of mine was into the mineral collecting - it was crazy the kind of money he spent on rocks But it does seem like an enjoyable hobby

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Whoa, that's way out of my price range. Cool saw though.