Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at Florida home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at Florida home

TAMPA, Fla. – Billy Mays, the burly, bearded television pitchman whose boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean made him a pop-culture icon, has died. He was 50.

Tampa police said Mays was found unresponsive by his wife Sunday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m. It was not immediately clear how he died. He said he was hit on the head when an airplane he was on made a rough landing Saturday, and Mays' wife told investigators the TV personality didn't feel well before he went to bed that night.

There were no signs of a break-in at the home, and investigators do not suspect foul play, said Lt. Brian Dugan of the Tampa Police Department, who wouldn't answer any more questions about how Mays' body was found because of the ongoing investigation. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, told investigators that her husband had complained he didn't feel well before he went to bed some time after 10 p.m. Saturday night, Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement Sunday. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

U.S. Airways confirmed Sunday that Mays was among the passengers on a flight that made a rough landing on Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, leaving debris on the runway after apparently blowing its front tires.

Tampa Bay's Fox television affiliate interviewed Mays after the incident.

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

McElroy said linking Mays' death to the rough landing Saturday afternoon would "purely be speculation." She said Mays' family members didn't report any health issues with the pitchman, but they said he was due to have hip replacement surgery in the coming weeks.

Even though he was a loud, irritating bastard, WTF....Who's next?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

Default Well

Thats what happened to that actress whose name escapes me. She was married to that actor who starred in Held,Anyways she hit her head ski-ing and was supposidly ok and got an airbubble to the brain and dropped dead sometime later.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #3

I didnt want him dead, just not on the many, many commercials. He was annoying, I'm sure many people agreed. But, doesnt mean anyone wanted him dead. Best wishes to his family.

S.S.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #4

Default yeah

I heard he will be buried with a bottle of OXYCLEAN. POOR BASTARD

Last edited by ebear; 06-28-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #5

A whack to the head ain't nothin to mess around with. This is eerily like Natasha Richardson’s episode...RIP Billy.............markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 06-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 888 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Anyone else watch the show "Pitchmen" it starred Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan and was a documentary style show about them and their informercials and how they discover the products. It is not a documentary because it was produced and edited by Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan but watching the show I grew to like him more and more as a person, he was funny and normal. He just turns his voice on for the infomercials.

RIP pitchman

Quote:
Who's next?
Sham-wow guy maybe... We've had an actress, game show host, singer, ad guy all in the last week. I'd bet news anchor Walter Chronkite to be next.
Walter Cronkite's Family: "He Is Not Expected to Recuperate" - E! Online

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #7

Sham-wow guy=Vince LOL.

S.S.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerdown View Post
A whack to the head ain't nothin to mess around with. This is eerily like Natasha Richardson’s episode...RIP Billy.............markerdown
Indeed, head injuries need to be taken very serious. Inter cranial bleeds usually are very slow and will eventually kill you or place you in a serious coma. Thats why they emphasize the importance of you to stay awake and be observed in all head trauma and concussion situations and report any head aches or pain.

R.I.P. Billy Mays

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I was flying for business, I had a landing just like his. It was America West Airlines before the merger with US Air. Yes the the ceiling was no longer up there. Both tires blew out on the starboard side. One of the ceiling tiles was going to hit me, but I swatted it away. There were to many sparks coming from the wires and I figured it would burn my head.

There were no injuries, but it was a wild ride.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, It's a shame. He lives just the other side of the bay from me and was sort of a regular on the local morning show I listen to. Seemed to be a real nice guy. I think I'll miss him more than Jacko. lol.