Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   TV, can you do without? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tv-can-you-do-without-94891/)

boatme98 08-03-2013 07:47 AM

TV, can you do without?

I confess. I don't have a television.
Don't want one, don't need one.
I go to my sister's house and flip through the menu, which takes about ten minutes, and there isn't a single thing listed that is remotely interesting. All this for $90 a month.
The only channels I would have any interest in are probably F-1, BBC, and maybe Speed.
That would push the bill up to $100. Ridiculous.
How about you. Can you pull the plug?

TekGreg 08-03-2013 07:52 AM

Yes. I have hundreds of books and actually know how to and (get this) LIKE to read! I don't own Playstation, Xbox or such. History Channel is interesting at times, but I haven't watched mainstream media voluntarily in over a decade and a half.

c3shooter 08-03-2013 08:13 AM

History, Military, Discovery, Weather. Think I had the idiot box on for an hour on Weds- eating a pizza.

HM2Grunt 08-03-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatme98 (Post 1324490)
I go to my sister's house and flip through the menu, which takes about ten minutes, and there isn't a single thing listed that is remotely interesting. All this for $90 a month.
The only channels I would have any interest in are probably F-1, BBC, and maybe Speed.

I confess that I watch the tube, but only the premium movie channels. I don't like movies on regular channels because of the too frequent commercials, and the editing. Heaven forbid I see a single breast, our hear a cuss word. I do not, cannot watch any network TV news because of the general poor quality. I could do without the cable. I watch movies on the computer, so I could do without TV, but I can't get rid of it because of the shows the family watches. When I am home along, it is seldom on. And the cable bill went up!

winds-of-change 08-03-2013 08:58 AM

I rarely watch TV. Just don't try to take my radio away from me.

Doc3402 08-03-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

CAN I pull the plug? Yes, I can. Will I pull the plug? Not in this lifetime unless I want it to be significantly shorter. Between hurricanes, lightning, the occasional tornado, and traffic alerts I feel that I can better prepare with the info provided by my news stations.

I don't watch TV for entertainment. When the S.A.M.E radio sends an alert I turn on the TV to determine whether it will directly affect me or not. Can I get the same info on the internet? Not dependably. I have Comcast.

sputnik1988 08-03-2013 09:07 AM

I also very rarely watch TV, I pay for cable because of the "bundle price":rolleyes:

If I were to cancel the cable part of the cable, phone and Internet bundle "deal", the price would only drop about $10:mad:

eatmydust 08-03-2013 10:26 AM

My only TV addiction kicked in about 1 week ago! The NFL!!

DrumJunkie 08-03-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

I have satellite service but really don't use it all that much anymore. I'm much more prone to watch streams on the net where I can choose the exact show and/or episode I want to watch. I can even get nfl games which really is rthe best excuse I have for keeping it on. If you dig around the net enough you can find about anything streaming these days. With a better browser ( I use Mozilla Firefox on my computers and my phone) and a good pop up blocker (adblock plus is great) you can even dispense with the ads on most except the ones like on Hulu.

I bought a Roku not long ago that lets me watch hulu plus, netflix, Crackle, and a bunch of other streaming sites on my TV. If you have a 3 megabit connection or up it will run smooth as silk.

Truth be told if I run one of my computers through my big TV I'd never miss not having cable or sat service. I have to watch NFL on a bog screen and the biggest monitor I have on a computer is only 20" :(

DrumJunkie 08-03-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1324529)
My only TV addiction kicked in about 1 week ago! The NFL!!

It's NFL or season baby!!:D Everything else si skinny kids playing in short pants.:rolleyes: